This month in Christianity/Atheism/Judaism/Asia and Far East Religions/New religious movements

Altai

Actually I didnt want to start such a topic but conditions forcing me to do that. I personally have no problem with any other religion and beliefs as long as they dont violate my rights. This topic have been opened as a reaction. Please share news from the Christianity/Atheism/Judaism/Asia and Far East Religions/New religious movements and dont derail the topic with issues which is out of context. I am going to share only bad news related with above religions/beliefs and I will accept that any person or institution or position as being a member of above religions if their religious believes are not explained in the news link. 

Edited by Altai

The 'is Atheism' a religion - is a question that has been discussed here in the past.  

For me, I think the interesting coconut to crack in that discussion is... "do Atheists 'BELIEVE' in something or not ?'.   'Belief' is a hallmark of religious thought, whereas rational conclusion is more of a scientific thought process.

I think they DO have a BELIEF that the material world is all that exists, in or out of the universe.  It's a belief because there is no evidence to evaluate either way.  Otherwise, Atheists would be agnostic ie. 'un-knowing', 'I don't know if there is a god or heaven'.

Not to derail the conversation though here is a scandal to fight over:

Thailand's attorney general said on Wednesday it would charge the abbot of a powerful Buddhist sect and four others suspected of money laundering in the latest twist of a long-running saga that has divided Thai Buddhism.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-monk-idUSKBN13I0CY

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The 'is Atheism' a religion - is a question that has been discussed here in the past.  

For me, I think the interesting coconut to crack in that discussion is... "do Atheists 'BELIEVE' in something or not ?'.   'Belief' is a hallmark of religious thought, whereas rational conclusion is more of a scientific thought process.

I think they DO have a BELIEF that the material world is all that exists, in or out of the universe.  It's a belief because there is no evidence to evaluate either way.  Otherwise, Atheists would be agnostic ie. 'un-knowing', 'I don't know if there is a god or heaven'.

Um, no. 

It means that we do not believe in a god or gods. In particular, a personal god that supposedly favours us over someone else or something else. 

As for this material world: how do I know that my hand is my hand, and all that, etc. 

We could be "living" or "existing"  in a simulation, etc etc. 

All possibilities with rational explanations that are much more reasonable than the god of the Bible/Koran. 

Most people don't even know themselves, nevermind trying to figure out what other people are based on what they say and claim to be. 

For example, Islamic terrorists like to talk up the Koran and Islam and yet we have a whole industry of people who deny links between Islamic beliefs and terrorist activity.  

So, if there are no real muslim terrorists (or terrorists who are into Islam) then there are no real pagan atheists. 

At least the person into paganism is likely to leave people alone and almost certainly will not bomb anyone unless they have missed the latest recall news for their Samsung phone because they were too busy at Samhain festival. 

3 hours ago, Altai said:

Well?   Which is he?  Christian or atheist?

1 hour ago, Altai said:

Does not matter, both works for the topic.

So the total premise is that someone, other than a Muslim, did something bad....   wow...   I honestly didn't think that was even possible!  You just blew my mind!   I thought only Muslims did bad things!!  Thank you for this thread...   it is very enlightening.

1 hour ago, The_Squid said:

So the total premise is that someone, other than a Muslim, did something bad....   wow...   I honestly didn't think that was even possible!  You just blew my mind!   I thought only Muslims did bad things!!  Thank you for this thread...   it is very enlightening.

Yes its soo stupid and you create this stupid atmosphere and I am playing the game according to the rules.

19 minutes ago, Altai said:

Yes its soo stupid and you create this stupid atmosphere and I am playing the game according to the rules.

Actually no.  There are no rules.  If you want to pretend that an action that was taken without regard to religious beliefs was, in fact, only carried out due to religious beliefs in order to make yourself feel better about the horrific things that are done in the name of your religion, then go ahead.  There's no rule or regulation that says you can't.  It would be up to individual posters to provide a response, if they felt like it.  Like I did here.

I'm sorry horrific things are done in the name of your religion.  It must be awful for those Muslims who don't agree with them.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Actually no.  There are no rules.  If you want to pretend that an action that was taken without regard to religious beliefs was, in fact, only carried out due to religious beliefs in order to make yourself feel better about the horrific things that are done in the name of your religion, then go ahead.  There's no rule or regulation that says you can't.  It would be up to individual posters to provide a response, if they felt like it.  Like I did here.

I'm sorry horrific things are done in the name of your religion.  It must be awful for those Muslims who don't agree with them.

I am literally doing the same thing what I see from the older persons. I am still at my early learning ages and I learned this in this forum, from you. By the way you are in my ignore list since long together 13 others but sometimes I read their posts. Probably I will stop to reply in time and will forget about you complately.

Edited by Altai

British atheist or christian or whatever person murders gays. Ohh wtf, what a bloody psychopaths you Christians or atheists or judaics or far easterners or whatever are. Maybe we should nuke them all before they are going to attempt kill us.

https://reportca.net/2016/11/british-serial-killer-stephen-port-gets-life-in-prison-for-murder-of-4-gay-men-he-met-online/

Edited by Altai

9 minutes ago, Altai said:

British atheist or christian or whatever person murders gays. Ohh wtf, what a bloody psychopaths you Christians or atheists or judaics or far easterners or whatever are. Maybe we should nuke them all before they are going to attempt kill us.

https://reportca.net/2016/11/british-serial-killer-stephen-port-gets-life-in-prison-for-murder-of-4-gay-men-he-met-online/

Why post crimes that are not religiously motivated?  What is your point?  We all acknowledge that bad people sometimes do bad things.  But the things you are posting are NOT religously motivated.  You're not comparing anything.

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

Why post crimes that are not religiously motivated?  What is your point?  We all acknowledge that bad people sometimes do bad things.  But the things you are posting are NOT religously motivated.  You're not comparing anything.

I dont care whether or not its religious/belief motivated. We cant know that. It also does not matter, these persons are most probably Christians or atheists and they commit crimes. 

Edited by Altai

Just now, Altai said:

I dont care whether or not its religious/belief motivated. We cant know that. It is also does not matter, these persons are most probably Christians or atheists and they commit crimes. 

They are not committing crimes in the name of a religion.

Do you not see the difference?  

Edited by Goddess

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

They are not committing crimes in the name of a religion.

Do you not see the difference?

Why do you claim something which you cant prove ? We cant know why they did such things. Here the point is these persons are commiting crimes and they are Christians or Atheists. 

1 hour ago, Altai said:

I dont care whether or not its religious/belief motivated. We cant know that.

So when Muslims say they kill people because Allah wants them to do that, you don't think we should believe them that it's religiously motivated?

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I did know a woman who said she believed in 'pagan spirits' yet who claimed to be an atheist.  I think that that type of atheist is definitely religious and not athiest at all.

Folks, please #StopThreadDrift.  I will lock this thread.

1 hour ago, The_Squid said:

So when Muslims say they kill people because Allah wants them to do that, you don't think we should believe them that it's religiously motivated?

I agree her point is lacking the motive factor, but I think there is some truth to what she's saying in that a crime committed by a non-Muslim is a crime, and a crime committed by a Muslim, whether in the name of religion or not, is considered 'terror'.

Prime example is the pork eating, alcohol drinking loser who lost his job and wife and killed people in Nice being called a terrorist.  

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

14 people on ignore.  With whom do you argue?. 

I'm shocked there are even 14 regulars on the forum to ignore.