Maybe no Brexit exit.

taxme

The UK is in for a long, hard road. The complexity of leaving the EU, negotiating a new deal with it and then doing the same for all the other countries of the world make me want to sit down. And as for the UK itself, perhaps Brexit breaks it. The issue of NI hardly figured at all in the mainland debate which tells you what they really think of the province, and the DUP were Christmas turkeys to campaign for Leave against the wishes of the locals. English nationalism is another imponderable. 

I can't see Ireland leaving the EU, at least not as long as US firms invest there to access that market. Brexit may really hurt Irish farmers in the UK market, though. 

The Brits have always been reluctant Europeans; they only joined the EEC because of the trade-benefits but now as the lunatics have taken over in the EU and the EU is being pushed towards deeper and deeper integration finally leading to full federalism that is unacceptable for the Brits.

It is a shame that the Brits had to leave the EU but you can't blame them for doing so because of the way the EU is going. Britain is an important country and they will bounce on their feet. London will remain a financial capital of Europe if not the whole world.

I don't think that there's going to be another independence-referendum in Scotland. Last time the campaign was so divisive and ugly that they really don't want to go through all that again.

1 hour ago, -TSS- said:

I don't think that there's going to be another independence-referendum in Scotland. Last time the campaign was so divisive and ugly that they really don't want to go through all that again.

Tell that to their Parliament, it has already asked for one. 

On 4/10/2017 at 6:31 PM, Wilber said:

Should Scotland join Canada

Comments? The Scots probably had as much to do with the formation of this country as the English. Of course they might not want anything to do with us.

And equally, why would we want Scotland as a large and heavily dependent province?  They would never accept provincuial status anyway, and me for one would never accept any sort of equality position with Ottawa.

The EU is in trouble,existential trouble.  The crash of 2008, which the EU handled horribly, was an illustration that monetary policy is less important than a common fiscal policy.  Many countries in the EU, and that very much includes the UK, simply will not accept the further loss of sovereignty that is demanded by a stgronger common fiscal policy.  Britain is not at all alone in this feeling.  Thet means the EU is in limbo.  They cannot move forward with further integration, and slowly but surely are moving backward.

Theresa May has called new elections to be held on June 8th. Easy to understand why as the Tories are in a comfortable lead. I just thought that these kind of snap elections well ahead of the schedule were a thing of the past because they have changed the law about it. Apparently I have misunderstood the issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It is fundamentally the wrong analysis that only racists and xenophobes voted for Brexit. After all, surely people don't think that racists and xenophobes make the majority to win a referendum, do they?

In my view the correct analysis is that instead of being shackled to a giant standing on feet of clay called the EU it is cleverer for a country like Britain to reach out to the whole wide world which exists out there beyond the boundaries of the EU.

• 2 months later...
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, -TSS- said:

It is fundamentally the wrong analysis that only racists and xenophobes voted for Brexit. After all, surely people don't think that racists and xenophobes make the majority to win a referendum, do they?

In my view the correct analysis is that instead of being shackled to a giant standing on feet of clay called the EU it is cleverer for a country like Britain to reach out to the whole wide world which exists out there beyond the boundaries of the EU.

You forget the ignorant and the stupid.   There is no country called Britain, four or five nations  in the UK, and I can't see they have much in common.

1 hour ago, Penderyn said:

You forget the ignorant and the stupid.   There is no country called Britain, four or five nations  in the UK, and I can't see they have much in common.

At least we know when to take a stand for what's right...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/cornwall-cream-tea-scone-advert-locals-outrage-jam-cream-devon-lanhydrock-house-garden-a8251516.html

Edited by bcsapper

It has been mentioned many times that it is kind of ironic that Great Britain (or United Kingdom, I really couldn't give a fuck which name is correct) which itself is an artificial union wants to break out of a federation which seeks to become a similar concoction but on a larger scale.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

It has been mentioned many times that it is kind of ironic that Great Britain (or United Kingdom, I really couldn't give a fuck which name is correct) which itself is an artificial union wants to break out of a federation which seeks to become a similar concoction but on a larger scale. 

The various countries don't agree, and I shall be very surprised if even the (slight)majority of thickoes don't have second thoughts when faced with being puppets of that fat posturing pissartist of yours.

53 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Jolly Olde England 

Scotland might agree...I still have some Scottish pound notes from the 1970s. They were useful only in Scotland, mind-you.

3 hours ago, Penderyn said:

The various countries don't agree, and I shall be very surprised if even the (slight)majority of thickoes don't have second thoughts when faced with being puppets of that fat posturing pissartist of yours.

Oh gosh! Some people just can't get over their disappointments and move on.

If there was ever any doubt about whether the outcome of the referendum was desirable the reaction of the losers speaks volumes.

On 2018-01-07 at 11:10 AM, -TSS- said:

This is not a good time to be negotiating trade deals with the likes of the US, China and India. 

The Brexiteers can’t even make up their mind what sort of deal they want from Europe and the clock is ticking. 

17 hours ago, -TSS- said:

Oh gosh! Some people just can't get over their disappointments and move on.

If there was ever any doubt about whether the outcome of the referendum was desirable the reaction of the losers speaks volumes.

Move on where - down the drain?   Even the thickoes are desperate for someone to save them.

Given the closeness of the referendum vote, you'd think that (Remainer) May would have gone for an ultra-soft Brexit, from half-out to half-in and certainly within the market and customs union. Instead, she ruled that stuff out and made confrontation with Europe inevitable. As a result, the outstanding performer in the U.K. economy, the City, may now be restricted from trading with the EU. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13.3.2018 at 3:00 PM, Penderyn said:

Move on where - down the drain?   Even the thickoes are desperate for someone to save them.

That figures; you have added your location since your last post on this topic. I was kind of wondering how on earth would a Canadian be so extremely furious about Britain leaving the EU.

Cheer up mate! There was life before the EU and there will definitely be life after the EU as well. Good life too.