Trudeau Appoints more non-partisan (LOL) senators

Argus

Of course, we know the whole appointments process is 'non partisan' because the shiny pony says it is, right? So clearly this latest group is very representative of Canadians and their views on how the country should be run.

Let's see, uhm, Art Historian, Human Rights Activist, Francophone Rights Activist, Womens rights activist, Native rights activist, Asian rights activist, Conservationist...

Boy, there's a group of rigid conservative ideologues for you! Bound to give Trudeau all kinds of trouble in the future! They'll sure make sure he doesn't stray too far to the left on fiscal policy issues and that he's not running up the debts too high! :lol:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/meet-canadas-nine-newest-senators-five-women-and-four-men-all-non-partisans-who-applied-for-entry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our school needs teachers to teach writing math and such, not activists that are there to brainwash the kids and bitch how tough they have it. And we need more male teachers.

Edited by Michael Hardner
multiple spelling and grammar corrections

3 hours ago, overthere said:

I was assured that all these appointees were non partisan.  Are you saying they are not?

They ARE at least according to the link in the OP. They have no party affiliation. The author of the OP seems to be confusing partisanship with ideology. Theres a pretty big difference. Traditionally the senate has been loaded up by full on card carrying party members and stooges.  The new selection process is certainly a step up.

And we saw in the thread about supreme court judges... nobody has provided a single reason why any of those appointees are not qualified to do the job.

Is that what it comes down to are they qualified......sure they are qualified ....everyone that applied is qualified....But the question should be are they the best people for the job.....DO you want activists in the job.....is it partisanship or ideology  do we want any of them having the final say to all our futures laws and policies.....How about someone with a level head and can make good solid decisions based on facts.....do I want some partisan hack in there NO I do not, do I want some hard core ideology hack in there ....No I don't ....I want someone in the center....

Are we on the right track....I really like the fact the liberals are doing this.....I was expecting some better choices....is all.

Edited by Army Guy

When you look at their way of thinking, they are far from conservatives and where is the regular joe, are we not allowed to be in the senate or only the elitist left. Because that is what we need for some common sense.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 10:04 PM, Smallc said:

So prove they aren't the best people for the job.  

. The PM claimed they were the best possible candidates, its up to him to prove their qualifications.

What he did was pick some trendy leftists.  You really think he would pick someone that didn't conform to his trendy leftist concepts?

The entire exercise was subjective. .

Is it different than picking patronage appointments, i.e., old past their prime politicians or failed candidates or policy hacks owed a favour, maybe but to pretend these picks did not meet the prerogative consideration  of His Royal Highness Justin is crappola..

All the word activist means to me is someone who is claimed to be active. Yah right. If that is the qualification it means anyone who eats a lot of fibre qualifies. Raisin bran eaters.

Loading the senate with too much fibre will cause bill passage blockage. It will prevent bills from being passed.

Do we need a proctologist to explain this further?

Edited by Rue

On 2016-10-27 at 6:27 PM, Army Guy said:

Is that what it comes down to are they qualified......sure they are qualified ....everyone that applied is qualified....But the question should be are they the best people for the job.....DO you want activists in the job.....is it partisanship or ideology  do we want any of them having the final say to all our futures laws and policies.....How about someone with a level head and can make good solid decisions based on facts.....do I want some partisan hack in there NO I do not, do I want some hard core ideology hack in there ....No I don't ....I want someone in the center....

Are we on the right track....I really like the fact the liberals are doing this.....I was expecting some better choices....is all.

What better choices?  Lay it out here for us and explain why your choices would be better. 

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Do I really have to spell it all out.....A job open comes up at a hospital, it is at the under 16 neo natal unit counseling office.....where these young women go for advice about their condition, one candidate has worked in the neo natal unit at another hospital, another Candidate is an activist for the pro life.....which one do you think is the better pick......Activist, or the well rounded, open minded person....

At some point these activists are going to have to make decisions on bills and laws that go against their former activist roles, their decisions are going to effect ALL Canadians ......Are they qualified Yes they are .....Are they best choice NO they are not.....  

2 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

What better choices?  Lay it out here for us and explain why your choices would be better. 

Tell you how I'd do it if I really wanted to have a representative body. I'd create a list of professions and organizations where you could presumably expect people to be able to understand a variety of complicated issues, and have the judgement to deal with them: ex-generals, ex chiefs of police, ex judges, or present judges who want to move over, scientists, doctors, religious figures, senior union leaders, people who used to be senior bureacrats. I'd have representatives of farmers, forestry workers and fishermen, and those who were high up in business. Then I'd have those groups decide who should represent their interests in the senate.

Filling the senate with a bunch of political activists and agitators from the Left is hardly representative.

They seem like a decent bunch. Actvists are often experts in their field. Only 2,700 people applied which sounds like a small pool. 

I would prefer provincial elections to determine the lists presented to the PM but that would have the downside of favouring politicians. However, over time, the current system could evolve to pick people in a more systematic fashion from various walks of life. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

The guys appointed today sound solid enough:

• Gwen Boniface, the first woman appointed as commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police and the first female president of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police.
  • Tony Dean, an internationally recognized professor at the University of Toronto's School of Public Policy since 2009.
  • Sarabjit S. Marwah, retired vice-chairman and chief operating officer of Scotiabank.
  • Lucie Moncion, chief executive officer of the Alliance des caisses populaires de l'Ontario.
  • Kim Pate, executive director of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies and part-time professor in the University of Ottawa's faculty of law.
  • Howard Wetston, counsel with Goodmans LLP and adjunct professor of law at the University of Toronto.