Ottawa man beaten to death by police

A quote from a musician:

If there actually ARE any 'good' cops out there ... let's see them prove it by arresting these racist, roid-raging neanderthal pieces of shit!

I second that.

Well, if a musician said so...

Edited by bcsapper

Well, if a musician said so...

Anybody could have said it.

A lot of people are saying it.

He just said it well.

Can you imagine cops seeing someone beating someone to death ... and just standing there watching?

Only if it's another cop.

When are cops going to start arresting cops?

Otherwise, being a cop is just a free pass to be a criminal.

Edited by jacee

Anybody could have said it.

A lot of people are saying it.

He just said it well.

Can you imagine cops seeing someone beating someone to death ... and just standing there watching?

Only if it's another cop.

When are cops going to start arresting cops?

Otherwise, being a cop is just a free pass to be a criminal.

He didn't say it well. It was a bigoted, ridiculous thing to say that I would bet would horrify him if it was said about another group.

Edit: Let's try it:

If there actually ARE any 'good' muslims out there ... let's see them prove it by standing up to these primitive, barbaric neanderthal pieces of shit!

No, doesn't work for me.

As to your question, no, I can't That's because, as a group, that's not the sort of thing they do. Those who do, however, should be charged with a crime, and if found guilty, punished. Same as anyone else.

Edited by bcsapper

He didn't say it well. It was a bigoted, ridiculous thing to say that I would bet would horrify him if it was said about another group.

Which part bothers you?

"If there actually ARE any 'good' cops out there ... let's see them prove it by arresting these racist, roid-raging neanderthal pieces of shit!"

If there actually ARE any 'good' muslims out there ... let's see them prove it by standing up to these primitive, barbaric neanderthal pieces of shit!

No, doesn't work for me.

It's similar.

But it's not the same.

We are not discriminating against police.

We are giving orders.

We PAY police to uphold OUR rights.

We call the shots.

As to your question, no, I can't That's because, as a group, that's not the sort of thing they do. Those who do, however, should be charged with a crime, and if found guilty, punished. Same as anyone else.

How many cops have gone to prison for murder on the job?

Edited by jacee

No, doesn't work for me.

Let's change it up a bit: why don't the good Muslims stand up to ISIS.

Or: why don't good cops stand up to bad cops.

I think it is a cultural thing: just like you have millions/billions of Muslims who sanitize the violence of the relatively small number (in comparison) of terrorists, we see in cop culture the good cops and judges sanitizing the violence of bad cops.

Which is why social media darlings in Pakistan get murdered and, if enough people raise a fuss maybe there will be a cultural change there.

Well, I would like to see a cultural change within the police forces.

Which is why, for example, I think BLM's take about the police participation at the Vancouver pride event this weekend is utter BS.

Edited by msj

So you're saying that because you've seen evidence of a certain kind of behaviour by certain members of an identifiable group, you can safely apply that to all members of that group?

That's not what was said. It's kind of the same as when some people say something like "Muslims are terrorists", and if there's an objection, you jump in and say "But they didn't say *all Muslims* so it should be assumed they didn't mean *all* Muslims, they only mean the ones who are terrorists".

Edited by dialamah

That's not what was said. It's kind of the same as when some people say something like "Muslims are terrorists", and if there's an objection, you jump in and say "But they didn't say *all Muslims* so it should be assumed they didn't mean *all* Muslims, they only mean the ones who are terrorists".

The comment I took exeption to was:

"Now we know we can't trust police to tell the truth. We've seen the evidence."

I disagreed with that.

Let's change it up a bit: why don't the good Muslims stand up to ISIS.

Or: why don't good cops stand up to bad cops.

I think it is a cultural thing: just like you have millions/billions of Muslims who sanitize the violence of the relatively small number (in comparison) of terrorists, we see in cop culture the good cops and judges sanitizing the violence of bad cops.

Which is why social media darlings in Pakistan get murdered and, if enough people raise a fuss maybe there will be a cultural change there.

Well, I would like to see a cultural change within the police forces.

Which is why, for example, I think BLM's take about the police participation at the Vancouver pride event this weekend is utter BS.

I believe good Muslims have no obligation to stand up to bad Muslims, but good cops do have an obligation to stand up to bad cops. But they have to be there. They have to be seen to not do so before the tarring begins. I would hope.

My point was that the behaviour of the few does not necessarily reflect the behaviour of the many. It seems that to some that's a reasonable position to take, but not with cops.

If Mr. Abdi was in fact autistic, it will be interesting to see the autopsy's findings. The reason being, the autopsy will divulge whether any of Abdi's injuries were self inflicted. It is well documented that autistic individuals are known to be self injurious.

Nothing is more difficult for the parents of autistic children to tolerate than self-injurious and assaultive behavior (SIB/A). SIB/A behaviors are unpleasant to observe, to think about, or to discuss, but they do exist, and must be dealt with. Some autistic children hit their heads against walls or floors so hard that they have fractured their skulls, detached their retinas, or caused deafness. Others hit themselves with their fists or their knees so hard that they have broken noses, deformed ears, and even blinded themselves. Some children bite themselves and others, and hit other children and their parents with such violence they have broken bones.

https://www.autism.com/treating_self-injurious

Types of Injurious Behavior

There are many forms of self injury. They range from severe and life threatening injuries to lesser injuries. They may be considered self mutilation, masochistic behavior or self destructive behavior. The following are some of the most common self injuries performed by autistic children and adults.

• Head rubbing, repeatedly and intensely

• Nail picking

• Head banging, sometimes coming into contact with a hard surface

• Arm sucking, finger sucking

• Ingesting air

• Pinching

• Scratching

• Poking openings in the body, especially the eyes, nostrils and ears

• Sucking on things, putting things into the mouth

• Ingestion of feces or touching feces

• Pulling hair

• Slapping of the thigh or other area of the body

• Taking in too much fluid

http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Self_Injury_and_Autism

The comment I took exeption to was:

"Now we know we can't trust police to tell the truth. We've seen the evidence."

I disagreed with that.

It's sad but true.

You may not like it, but your disagreement is irrelevant.

It is what it is.

Cell phone videos have revealed the corruption, lying, covering up and brutality that police are accustomed to getting away with historically.

Denial is futile.

The 'blue wall' is cracking.

Good cops will be glad.

If Mr. Abdi was in fact autistic, it will be interesting to see the autopsy's findings. The reason being, the autopsy will divulge whether any of Abdi's injuries were self inflicted. It is well documented that autistic individuals are known to be self injurious.

https://www.autism.com/treating_self-injurious

http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Self_Injury_and_Autism

Wow!

How low can you go.

You sure ain't anybody's 'finest'.

Edited by jacee

So you're suggesting Abid beat himself to death?

Here's a video showing Abdi on the ground at the entrance to his apartment building with police officers trying to restrain him. Notice his pants are down below his butt. Plus, there are steps leading into the building, just behind the persons in the video. If you're rushing home with your pants down, those steps are an accident waiting to happen. If you're an individual with mental health issues, that situation is even more deadly and if he's prone to self injury that's an aggravating factor.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2849806/new-video-shows-aftermath-of-abdirahman-abdi-arrest/

There is a possible solution which is not very politically correct. Those who have "major" difficulties could be physically identified in some way - an arm band or purple jacket or (including a bracelet once an officer is close enough to check for one) ... Law enforcement would be pre warned to treat the individually differently. The alternative, is to deal with each individual acting "dangerously" assuming that they are a criminal out of control (which creates these kinds of incidents) or treat all people who are acting strangely as if they are individuals having a benign mental challenge (which would lead to police being killed by criminals out of control).

I know this goes against the stream of trying to incorporate those "with a difference" but it would be a voluntary process.

I know that if I had a child or adult with mental challenges, I would have no problem with insisting and "training" them to put on a certain jacket when they go outside unsupervised. It does seem cruel but it is better than being called to identify their bodies.

It's sad but true.

You may not like it, but your disagreement is irrelevant.

It is what it is.

Cell phone videos have revealed the corruption, lying, covering up and brutality that police are accustomed to getting away with historically.

Denial is futile.

The 'blue wall' is cracking.

Good cops will be glad.

My disagreement is as relevant as your opinion. Both are opinions.

I thought there were no good cops?

Here's a video showing Abdi on the ground at the entrance to his apartment building with police officers trying to restrain him. Notice his pants are down below his butt. Plus, there are steps leading into the building, just behind the persons in the video. If you're rushing home with your pants down, those steps are an accident waiting to happen. If you're an individual with mental health issues, that situation is even more deadly and if he's prone to self injury that's an aggravating factor.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2849806/new-video-shows-aftermath-of-abdirahman-abdi-arrest/

Excuse me?!

What?

What?

Are you saying something?

Or were those just neanderthal grunts?

There is a possible solution which is not very politically correct. Those who have "major" difficulties could be physically identified in some way - an arm band or purple jacket or (including a bracelet once an officer is close enough to check for one) ... Law enforcement would be pre warned to treat the individually differently. The alternative, is to deal with each individual acting "dangerously" assuming that they are a criminal out of control (which creates these kinds of incidents) or treat all people who are acting strangely as if they are individuals having a benign mental challenge (which would lead to police being killed by criminals out of control).

I know this goes against the stream of trying to incorporate those "with a difference" but it would be a voluntary process.

I know that if I had a child or adult with mental challenges, I would have no problem with insisting and "training" them to put on a certain jacket when they go outside unsupervised. It does seem cruel but it is better than being called to identify their bodies.

Those would be a hot commodity among criminals.

Get real BG.

How bout Law Enforcement use their brains.

Edited by jacee