Ottawa man beaten to death by police

Abdirahman Abdi: What we know so far about the Ottawa mans death

"It just was not right for the beating that they gave that poor guy when he was down", he said. "I got to the point, I'm 67 years old and if I'd had been 30 years younger, I would have jumped that cop."

The cop who beat him in the head until he was dead.

He was Somali.

He was Black.

He was Muslim.

He had mental health issues.

It was reported that he bothered a woman in a coffee shop.

He left the coffee shop.

He was on his way home.

Police chased him, grabbed him, he resisted.

Police officer beat him in the head until he was dead.

SIU is investigating.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/man-in-critical-condition-siu-investigating-after-witnesses-say-ottawa-police-beat-him-unconscious

Eyewitness Zainab Abdallah said on Sunday that she saw Abdi, pursued by police, run toward the apartment building, and she tried to intervene. She said she pleaded with the officers that Abdi had a mental illness, but she said they didnt stop.

Ali said she has known the Abdi family for nearly 20 years and said Abdi was generally a gentle man, never causing any problems in the community.

His brother, Abdiaziz Abdi, 27, said Abdi came to Canada from Somalia in 2009 and worked hard at a downtown car wash.

"My brother was kind-hearted. He was helpful and friendly."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/police-officer-in-abdi-death-identified-1.3695996

The two Ottawa police officers under investigation after the death of an Ottawa man following an arrest have been identified as Const. Daniel Montsion and Const. Dave Weir.

McGhie said the officer used his baton to strike Abdi in the legs, arms and upper body while shouting at Abdi to comply.

A second officer arrived at the scene in a police cruiser, ran out of the car and jumped into the altercation, delivering what McGhie described as "a number of very heavy blows to the head and face."

McGhie on Tuesday said the second officer was wearing a DART vest and, when shown a still from the YouTube video, identified him as Montsion.

'They wanted him dead'

Zeinab Abdallah, an elderly Somali woman who lives in the building, said she was leaving at the same time Abdi and the first officer were running toward it.

Speaking in Somali, she told CBC's Idil Mussa that Abdi called to her, "Sister, protect me from them. Zeinab, help me. Zeinab, help me."

Several people inside can be heard wailing and screaming.

A man's voice can be heard identifying himself as the superintendent of the building and saying to police, "This is the family. This is the family."

Another man, speaking in Somali, can also be heard saying "Take mom away, take her out of here. Take mom."

I think the patrol officer was trying to subdue him.

I think the guns-gangs-drugs-DART officer Montsion was trying to kill him.

And he did.

Edited by jacee

He left the coffee shop.

He was on his way home.

First off, this is a sad event all around.

An autopsy report will be released shortly showing the cause of death, without which we don't know for sure what caused this man's death.

To clarify, there were multiple 911 calls reporting patrons being groped in the coffee shop, a far cry from one woman being bothered. Here is the Police Chief's statement on the matter.

What I can tell you is that patrol officers were called to a Hintonburg business on Sunday morning for a disturbance. Multiple callers called police reporting multiple assaults. The situation was on-going as officers arrived on scene.

http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/news/index.aspx?newsId=913b71cb-146e-4d48-a4ba-cdf989cac6ff

I won't jump to conclusions until further information is made available.

First off, this is a sad event all around.

An autopsy report will be released shortly showing the cause of death, without which we don't know for sure what caused this man's death.

To clarify, there were multiple 911 calls reporting patrons being groped in the coffee shop, a far cry from one woman being bothered. Here is the Police Chief's statement on the matter.

http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/news/index.aspx?newsId=913b71cb-146e-4d48-a4ba-cdf989cac6ff

I won't jump to conclusions until further information is made available.

It's irrelevant what crime he did or did not commit: Police cannot get away with beating a handcuffed man to death.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/6784849--he-was-hitting-him-pretty-bad-black-man-dies-after-altercation-with-ottawa-cops

Witness David Thyne also described a gruesome scene: "And I saw that he was cuffed and one of the officers was hitting him," Thyne said. "He was hitting him pretty bad."

It's irrelevant what crime he did or did not commit: Police cannot get away with beating a handcuffed man to death.

No, nor do we know that that happened. There are always witnesses willing to give shrill, exaggerated and often dishonest accounts of police arrests.

Abdirahman Abdi: What we know so far about the Ottawa mans death

"It just was not right for the beating that they gave that poor guy when he was down", he said. "I got to the point, I'm 67 years old and if I'd had been 30 years younger, I would have jumped that cop."

The cop who beat him in the head until he was dead.

He was Somali.

He was Black.

He was Muslim.

He had mental health issues.

He left the coffee shop.

He was on his way home.

Police officer beat him in the head until he was dead.

SIU is investigating.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/man-in-critical-condition-siu-investigating-after-witnesses-say-ottawa-police-beat-him-unconscious

Eyewitness Zainab Abdallah said on Sunday that she saw Abdi, pursued by police, run toward the apartment building, and she tried to intervene. She said she pleaded with the officers that Abdi had a mental illness, but she said they didnt stop.

Ali said she has known the Abdi family for nearly 20 years and said Abdi was generally a gentle man, never causing any problems in the community.

His brother, Abdiaziz Abdi, 27, said Abdi came to Canada from Somalia in 2009 and worked hard at a downtown car wash.

"My brother was kind-hearted. He was helpful and friendly."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/police-officer-in-abdi-death-identified-1.3695996

The two Ottawa police officers under investigation after the death of an Ottawa man following an arrest have been identified as Const. Daniel Montsion and Const. Dave Weir.

McGhie said the officer used his baton to strike Abdi in the legs, arms and upper body while shouting at Abdi to comply.

A second officer arrived at the scene in a police cruiser, ran out of the car and jumped into the altercation, delivering what McGhie described as "a number of very heavy blows to the head and face."

McGhie on Tuesday said the second officer was wearing a DART vest and, when shown a still from the YouTube video, identified him as Montsion.

'They wanted him dead'

Zeinab Abdallah, an elderly Somali woman who lives in the building, said she was leaving at the same time Abdi and the first officer were running toward it.

Speaking in Somali, she told CBC's Idil Mussa that Abdi called to her, "Sister, protect me from them. Zeinab, help me. Zeinab, help me."

Several people inside can be heard wailing and screaming.

A man's voice can be heard identifying himself as the superintendent of the building and saying to police, "This is the family. This is the family."

Another man, speaking in Somali, can also be heard saying "Take mom away, take her out of here. Take mom."

I think the patrol officer was trying to subdue him.

I think the guns-gangs-drugs-DART officer Montsion was trying to kill him.

And he did.

Was this guy allowed into Canada knowing that he had some kind of mental illness problems? Was he not checked out first to see if he was having mental problems and maybe he would eventually become a burden and a danger to the Canadian taxpayer's? This needs to be questioned also.

I believe that Canada is letting far too many mentally unstable people into this country, and because we are always told that Canadians are compassionate people that to turn someone away who has mental problems is cruel. It's cruel alright? Cruel to the Canadian taxpayer's who have to pay for the new immigrants that should not be here. Emotionalism not common sense and logic runs rampant in this country. This needs to stop.

No, nor do we know that that happened. There are always witnesses willing to give shrill, exaggerated and often dishonest accounts of police arrests.

This account was recorded after Abdi went to hospital, but before it was known that he died:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2016/07/24/witness-shocked-by-police-response-to-autistic-suspect.html

She said the officers kneeled on the back of his head and told bystanders not to call paramedics.

Samater said there was blood on his head and arms, and he wasnt resisting.

That was the most disturbing part of it all, what happened after he was handcuffed, Samater said. He was bleeding from the back of his head.

No doubt there will be many witnesses, many accounts, some conflicting.

It is my hope (though a rather faint one) that the investigation will focus on finding the truth, rather than finding ways to explain away any evidence of police wrong doing.

Because that's the problem we're having with policing: Too much 'blaming the victim' and covering up shoddy-to-criminal police action.

Not as often our as quickly as the sycophants who apologize for them.

Apologies don't matter. No amount of apologies, facts, evidence, etc, can make up for the vile bigotry of those who call the police pigs.

Edited by bcsapper

I am proud of our Somali community leaders in Ottawa. They responded to this tragic event in a mature, responsible way.

Abdourahman Kahin, who leads a group called Muslim Presence, said it is too early to assume the police were racially motivated.

He said a few hundred members of the Somali community in Ottawa gathered for a private meeting Tuesday evening to discuss how to respond to the issue, including how to ensure witnesses receive counselling and the family gets help with legal representation.

Kahin said he would be urging everyone to avoid jumping to conclusions about racial discrimination, a message he said was well-reflected at the meeting.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/07/27/muslim-group-demands-open-investigation-into-death-of-ottawa-man-after-arrest/

My apologies to pigs. Monsters would have been more appropriate.

Monsters is better. It's still jumping the gun, but at least it does imply the problem is the behaviour of the police in question.

Apologies don't matter. No amount of apologies, facts, evidence, etc, can make up for the vile bigotry of those who call the police pigs.

Not all police are pigs.

And not all pigs are police.

--> Some police officers are pigs.

But monsters works too.

And we are seeing it more clearly these days, because of cell phone video.

Makes you think about what they were getting away with before ... all the cover ups we swallowed because we wanted to believe the police.

Now we know we can't trust police to tell the truth. We've seen the evidence.

And we have seen the bigotry.

Now we know we can't trust police to tell the truth. We've seen the evidence.

So you're saying that because you've seen evidence of a certain kind of behaviour by certain members of an identifiable group, you can safely apply that to all members of that group?

Edited by bcsapper

So you're saying that because you've seen evidence of a certain kind of behaviour by certain members of an identifiable group, you can safely apply that to all members of that group?

We've seen the rest of them coverup for the misdeeds.

You do the math.

Police officers are not an 'identifiable group' in the Constitutional sense. Don't go down that road.

They are public employees.

We pay their salaries.

They work for us.

Edited by jacee