Pension Reform (in 3 paragraphs)

Higher payroll taxes.

More transfers from the "middle class" to people who can never get their life together.

The rich don't care.

I have a great idea. Get rid of multiculturalism and bilingualism, and foreign aid and stop bringing in refugees, that would free up billions of tax dollars, then seniors and veterans and people who deserve real help will receive more money. It's easy to do it, just do it. The middle class would benefit also by paying less taxes. everyone is a winner. The losers are the bureaucrats and special interest groups that are sucking tax dollars from the working man and woman. But what is needed is for we the people to speak up and demand that the waste of tax dollars discontinue. Works for me.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a great idea. Get rid of multiculturalism and bilingualism, and foreign aid and stop bringing in refugees, that would free up billions of tax dollars, then seniors and veterans and people who deserve real help will receive more money. It's easy to do it, just do it. The middle class would benefit also by paying less taxes. everyone is a winner. The losers are the bureaucrats and special interest groups that are sucking tax dollars from the working man and woman. But what is needed is for we the people to speak up and demand that the waste of tax dollars discontinue. Works for me.

Bring home our troops, stop subsidizing the oil industry, no more roads and ports, sell the airports for $100 billion each (if no takers, then shut them down), etc.

Bring home our troops, stop subsidizing the oil industry, no more roads and ports, sell the airports for $100 billion each (if no takers, then shut them down), etc.

I can go along with bringing the troops home but no more money for roads and ports, and close the airports down? What weird planet are you from?

The difference between what you advocate (even if sarcastically) and what he advocates, is that the stuff he wants to dump are costly and useless. The ones you mention, not so much.

The difference between what you advocate (even if sarcastically) and what he advocates, is that the stuff he wants to dump are costly and useless. The ones you mention, not so much.

The ones I mention are all very costly. The difference is what use people have in them. You might like to drive your car on a road, where others might like to eat.

The ones I mention are all very costly. The difference is what use people have in them. You might like to drive your car on a road, where others might like to eat.

The ones you mention are costly but necessary. Bilingualism - as it is practiced currently - is not. Nor is multiculturalism.

Bilingualism - as it is practiced currently - is not.

I'm not sure how we are getting here from pension reform, perhaps a new thread is in order.

b.t.w. There are 11 countries with official bilingualism, and 18 additional countries with official multilingualism (ie. 3 or more languages). Perhaps how we have implemented it could be improved, but lets move that discussion elsewhere.

I have a great idea. Get rid of multiculturalism and bilingualism,

That's just a fact of life.

and foreign aid

What are our mining companies going to use to bribe puppet countries? How are they going to rape and pillage for resources if CIDA doesn't pay off the foreign governments?!!

Are you an anti-capitalist communist?

and stop bringing in refugees,

Well, that's the price we pay for bombing them and corporate raids on their resources (see CIDA, bribery above).

that would free up billions of tax dollars, then seniors and veterans and people who deserve real help will receive more money. It's easy to do it, just do it. The middle class would benefit also by paying less taxes. everyone is a winner. The losers are the bureaucrats and special interest groups that are sucking tax dollars from the working man and woman. But what is needed is for we the people to speak up and demand that the waste of tax dollars discontinue. Works for me.

The losers would be the multinational corporate privateers.

No neo-liberal Canadian government will let that happen.

Edited by jacee

CPP benefits have never been cut.

Any government that tried would be run out of office ... immediately..

Jacee, your post terrifies me. According to you Jacee, the Mob rules.

====

In some countries, the currency loses value. Prices rise. Is that reason for revolution?

Jacee, your post terrifies me. According to you Jacee, the Mob rules.

====

In some countries, the currency loses value. Prices rise. Is that reason for revolution?

Sometimes I suppose.

I suspect any drastic attacks on cpp would be one thing that could blast Canadians out of passivity, but they'd likely just attack ... with nasty emails. Lol

So what happens when Trudeau tells the CPPIB to invest in Infrastructure for the good of Canada. On the books, the CPP will own bridges and trains, but since they don't make revenue, the rate of return for the fund would be negative, and the CPP would slowly cease to be "fully-funded"

So what happens when Trudeau tells the CPPIB to invest in Infrastructure for the good of Canada. On the books, the CPP will own bridges and trains, but since they don't make revenue, the rate of return for the fund would be negative, and the CPP would slowly cease to be "fully-funded"

I know you guys want to do a "CPP is an inside job" type thing but it doesn't work that way.

Yes, in a post factual world where facts are ignored you get to say stuff like this.

But it has already been presented, in this very thread, that the CPPIB does not work this way.

To change legislation would require 7/10 provinces with 2/3 of the population.

The board is selected by the provinces and the government of Canada.

Would take a lot of conspiring and collusion to do what the CPP inside jobbers would have us believe.

Besides, all Trudeau has to do is issue bonds and maybe the CPPIB will buy those.

Maybe the bond yields can go negative like Switzerland's and then the conspiracy nut bars can really have a field day.

• 2 months later...

Liberal Finance Minster came to politics from Morneau Shepell. Now the chief actuary of the firm, having studied the Liberal governments CPP reform, has stated that it will help - almost no one. It will raise a 'subgroup of a subgroup' into safe savings territory, a number which amounts to something like 2.3% of Canadian income earners.

And because even more workers will now be made to over-save for retirement, the number of workers with “appropriate” savings looks even more paltry than that 8.7 per cent figure would suggest. With more Canadians moving up from the “appropriate” category to the “excessive” category, the net growth in “appropriate” savers is a mere 3.9 per cent, Vettese and MacDonald find — that’s a scant 2.3 per cent of the total population set to get from the enhanced CPP neither too much nor too little retirement security. Just as concerning is the possibility that useful workers will now face the incentive to drop out of the labour force early, which, given our lagging productivity and shrinking ratios of workers to retirees, would be a regrettable policy outcome.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/kevin-libin-it-turns-out-shockingly-few-workers-will-benefit-from-the-steeper-cpp-were-all-forced-to-pay

Pension was a federal responsibility so what do you want me to say? At least we now have a responsible federal government so the situation will be resolved.

Resolved? Everyone is going to have to pay a lot more off their pay cheques for a made-up issue which Morneau's own company says is not going to really help more than a tiny group of people.