Anthem Wording Change

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Particularly or not particularly?

It is extremely silly to ask a fictional supernatural being to keep our land glorious and free. Might as well ask Superman.

You can t be any more sure that God is fictitious than those people who believe that there is a greater being.

That said, I'd be just as happy to remove all lyrics and let people hum the words that they hear in their head. It would be better that trying to shoehorn in something that either doesn't make sense or doesn't flow.

It will never satisfy the feminists or God haters, but it's never been about satisfying them, it's about taking away sht from those that do care.

Edited by Hal 9000

You can t be any more sure that God is fictitious than those people who believe that there is a greater being.

That said, I'd be just as happy to remove all lyrics and let people hum the words that they hear in their head. It would be better that trying to shoehorn in something that either doesn't make sense or doesn't flow.

It will never satisfy the feminists or God haters, but it's never been about satisfying them, it's about taking away sht from those that do care.

Annual revisions then. Even years God is in, odd years she is out.

That sounds inane and idiotic.

Do you have a better suggestion?

God isn't going to keep Canada free.

Conservatives praying to god to keep Canada free will just end up letting the SJWs take away our freedom, be it freedom of speech or whatever.

God keep our land sends the message that the population should be complacent and lazy, rather than proactively fighting for freedom.

No, there's nothing about it that sounds wrong, especially given the history of this country. And I'm particularly religious.

It's wrong if one is not particularly religious. 23% of Canadians declare no religious affiliation. Edited by WestCoastRunner

Why do you have such a hate on for feminists? Do you have daughters?

Sons is not inclusive because it is a gendered term.

Feminism is not inclusive because it is a gendered term.

Yet you identify as a feminist instead of a humanist or an egalitarian.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,

Wolfe, the dauntless hero, came
And planted firm Britannia's flag
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride
And, joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine
The Maple Leaf forever!
The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear,
The Maple Leaf forever!
God save our Queen and Heaven bless
The Maple Leaf forever!

Sons is not inclusive because it is a gendered term.

Feminism is not inclusive because it is a gendered term.

Yet you identify as a feminist instead of a humanist or an egalitarian.

Men and women can be feminists and non-binary too. Edited by WestCoastRunner

Of course they can. I am actually more offended by God than sons but I do think sons should be exchanged for something that represents a more equal term. I'm not sure what that is.

Ditto on the God. The anthem was made official in 1980, the lyrics changed multiple times before. The English is not even close to a translation of the original French poem, which had no reference to God or sons. It's not historic, it's not sacred and it's not even that old. Why not simply swap out God and sons to make it an inclusive national song?

Edited by Guest

Ditto on the God. The anthem was made official in 1980, the lyrics changed multiple times before. The English is not even close to a translation of the original French poem, which had no reference to God or sons. It's not historic, it's not sacred and it's not even that old. Why not simply swap out God and sons to make it an inclusive national song?

I agree.

Why do you have such a hate on for feminists? Do you have daughters?

I don't have a hate, what I am is sick of the hate. I'm sick of haters trashing God, and I'm sick of feminists trashing men.

Will feminists start to for once like men if we change the anthem? Will a deep dark hole finally be filled by doing this? Will you finally accept equality? No, not a single thing will change. There will not be one iota of relief or appreciation or solace - nothing, it'll be on to the next thing that will mean oh so much to the movement.

I'm serious, just scrap the lyrics altogether and go with an instrumental, we wouldn't be the first country to that.

I don't have a hate, what I am is sick of the hate. I'm sick of haters trashing God, and I'm sick of feminists trashing men.

Will feminists start to for once like men if we change the anthem? Will a deep dark hole finally be filled by doing this? Will you finally accept equality? No, not a single thing will change. There will not be one iota of relief or appreciation or solace - nothing, it'll be on to the next thing that will mean oh so much to the movement.

I'm serious, just scrap the lyrics altogether and go with an instrumental, we wouldn't be the first country to that.

Thank you for communicating your thoughts even though I can't understand a thing you said.

I'm sick of haters trashing God, and I'm sick of feminists trashing men.

Do you hate the tooth fairy? Probably not, because it doesn't exist. That's how I feel about gods, including yours. I don't believe in gods or ghosts or Sasquatches. Also, when I consider my 6 closest neighbours, who are all good Canadians, the kind who cut their lawns regularly, bitch about the weather, maintain their houses and buy the crap my kids sell to raise money for team sports, they believe in 3 different gods.

Why should our anthem not treat me, my neighbours and women equally? Do you get some sort of satisfaction from the exclusion?

Edited by Guest

Do you hate the tooth fairy? Probably not, because it doesn't exist. That's how I feel about gods, including yours. I don't believe in gods or ghosts or Sasquatches. Also, when I consider my 6 closest neighbours, who are all good Canadians, the kind who cut their lawns regularly, bitch about the weather, maintain their houses and buy the crap my kids sell to raise money for team sports, they believe in 3 different gods.

Why should our anthem not treat me, my neighbours and women equally? Do you get some sort of satisfaction from the exclusion?

Have I said anything even remotely close to that? Can you not read? What is it that you people have to argue something that was never said? Uggg!

Are you really telling me that your life would be complete if we dropped God and added women? "In all thy Slicks, and women's and gay's and trans's and questioning's command". WoW, it does have a ring.

No, lets just drop the entire lyrics all together.

Have I said anything even remotely close to that? Can you not read? What is it that you people have to argue something that was never said? Uggg!

Are you really telling me that your life would be complete if we dropped God and added women? "In all thy Slicks, and women's and gay's and trans's and questioning's command". WoW, it does have a ring.

No, lets just drop the entire lyrics all together.

I was responding to your quote. "I'm sick of haters trashing God, and I'm sick of feminists trashing men."

Letting you know that I don't hate your God, like you probably don't hate the Tooth Fairy. Nor do some of my Canadian neighbours hate your god, they just pay tribute to different ones. Canada allows for the freedom of religion, or the freedom from religion and is more than 50% female. So why not drop the Christianity and sons so everyone can celebrate the same song? Like I pointed out our anthem isn't old, and the poem isn't sacred or original, the lyrics have changed multiple times in it's history so why not make it a unifying feature of our nation rather than an divisive one?

Edited by Guest

This is the best idea yet. Think of all the time and energy saved over rejigging the lyrics over and over again.

If we go that route, I say we adopt a really long song like November Rain. That way when a Canadian athlete wins an important Olympic event like synchronized, freestyle luge and our anthem plays, second and third place would be thinking "WTF?! Is that a guitar solo? How long is this effn' song?"

Edited by Guest