Canadian Crack-up..parts I & II

Canada Cracks-Up: Good-Bye Ol' Friend, and Thank God for the Aussies

As the evening wore on, the Canadians put on a slide show of "Famous People You Didn't Know Were Canadian." The usual suspects were there: Lorne Greene, John Kenneth Galbraith, Jim Carrey, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Howie Mandel, Pamela Anderson, and others we can't remember (Diplomad does not recall seeing demigod Mark Steyn among this roll of honor/honour.)

It proved an odd event, one which seemed to give Canadians great joy. Diplomad asked a Canadian host what the point was of this show and got, "We want people to know Canada's contributions. We don't want them to think that only Americans have talent." Diplomad, of course, noted to himself that the show should have been titled, [b]"Smart and Talented People Who Had to Flee Canada to Employ Their Brains and Talent." [/b]He, unfortunately, failed to mention that the vast majority of the people whose faces were flashing by had given up their Canadian nationality and become Americans. All he said was, "I guess it would have been a pretty short show if it had been about people known to be Canadian and still in Canada.

I think that sums up a large Canadian insecurity.....it is rather sad if you think about it with an objective mind.

Canadian diplomats will bore you to tears with tales of how some UN agency or NGO has declared Canada the "best country on earth." The same diplomats cannot explain why Canada's best and brightest (remember the slide show?) head off for the barbarian south. They will point to the Clintons' praise for the Canadian health system, but can't explain the steady exodus of Canadian patients and doctors south (Note -- Clinton did not have his by-pass in Toronto.)

Another large insecurity.

Canadian Crack-up, Part II

Turning on the cable news, the Diplomad ran across some Canadian law professor being interviewed on FOX by John Kasich's "Heartland" show. This professor, too, was making the case for Bush's indictment.

Coincidentally, Diplomad HQS received a report from one of our Diplomads on a Sunday (today) brunch conversation with a Canadian diplomat who seemed absolutely smitten with the idea. This Canadian relished the thought of having Bush "served" a bill of indictment or arrest warrant during the President's visit to Ottawa o/a November 30. He thought this an incredibly clever idea, and spit out the reasons for indicting Bush for "crimes against humanity" -- basically the ones contained in the Walkom column and the Kasich interview, e.g., aggressive war, no UNSC approval, mistreatment of POWs and civilian populations, etc. Fortunately our Diplomad had the presence of mind -- which neither Kasich nor Walkom showed -- of asking, "What do you think the US reaction would be?" Our northern "friend" seemed taken aback by the thought, and confused, said that, well perhaps, we would protest and file something or another in Canadian court, or invoke Bush's sovereign immunity, but that in the end we would have to deal with the issue in court, presumably in a Canadian court. Oh, really?

This line of thinking sounds familiar..........

We have written previously (September 13) about the Canadian Crack-Up, and see that the process continues apace. So with regret, The Diplomad must conclude that it would indeed be a good thing for Canada to indict George W. Bush as a war criminal. The ensuing US reaction should provide a lesson in reality to Canada's politicians (the same who send Canadian sailors to die in rusty, smoke-filled second-hand subs) and its increasingly insane Ottawa - Toronto - Vancouver chattering "elite" classes. US Consulates will stand by 24/7/365 to receive immigration applications from sane Canadians fleeing the howling wilderness that will become Canada once the link to the oppressive imperialist war-mongering USA is broken; once the border is solidly locked down to prevent movement either way of anything; once hateful US investments stop; and once Canada can no longer serve as a cheap backlot for Hollywood productions.

This is tough love, but at times it's the only way. We might have to destroy Canada to save Canada from Canada to make it again Canada.

Please proceed with your indictment; in the long run it's best for all of us.

I'm now in favour of serving Bush when he comes next week. ;)

To be honest, I'm rather surprised that Canada is getting this much attention by Americans......Who wudda thunk it.....too bad it's the bad type of attention :(

A short quote would have been sufficient, Stoker with an explanation that it's an anonymous blog by State Dept Republican FSOs.

IMV, the best point it makes (and it does it in gest) is that Australia is a minor player and Canada is not even that.

At the moment, we have PM PM flying around the world and being utterly ignored except in Canada. Canada has become Uruguay.

I personally have no problem with such a profile but it runs counter to how some Canadians view themselves.

-----

IMV, the idea of indicting Bush is simply dumb. As I have noted often, Leftists tend to confuse form and content, symbol and reality.

IMV, the idea of indicting Bush is simply dumb. As I have noted often, Leftists tend to confuse form and content, symbol and reality.

Canada indicting Bush is probably dumb; it is dishonest if we do not. The UN should never have allowed the USA exemption from prosecution for war crimes. That is the big disgrace.

Paul Martin has done quite well with his international dealing; surprisingly (to me) despite a lack of support from the USA and his newness as a Prime Minister. He has an agreement with Mexico regarding dealing with trade disputes with the USA. He has had positive feedback from many nation regarding his "L 20" idea, and has had an agreement approved by the francophone nations. Not that shabby for a newbie; probably a lot of Chretien ideas but nonethe less ok.

As for Canada's bestest and brightess; those are just a bunch of actors, actresses, and comedians. Certainly not very bright nor our best citizens.

We have had many famous contributing Canadians who remained Canadians.

Pamela Anderson; bright or best They can have that air brain.

Uhm, no it's not just actors. Our best scientists go south, as well, because we, as a nation, do not support them, and there is comparatively little corporate R&D in Canada. Likewise our top corporate, marketnig and financial people wind up going south, too, because there is more money to be had. Then there are entrepeneurs, stifled by a lack of investment available here. Canadian financial institutions are notoriously conservative about risk taking with small business, esp startups.

The plain and simple fact is that the environment for high fliers, for top performers and risk takers, is much friendlier to the south than it is here.

Not everyone runs to the USA for the money. Some of us have more integrity. Many Americans want to come here to work since Bush was re elected. My son was offered work there at higher wages; he turned them down.

Money is not the only concern of most people; we are not all money hungry. Many of us prefer our Canadian lifestyle and our freedoms here.

I wonder what the numbers would look like.......how many Canadians move to the States, compared to how many Americans move to Canada?

Who cares. Why don't you yankee boosters do the same. We don't need people like you who do nothing but find fault with our country.

If dissidents/opponents (from any side) are forced (I know you don't really want to force) to leave a country because of their views then the principles of democracy fail. I see freedom of expression and diversity of views as being essential to a democratic nation.

You could take the view that this opposition to your views mean you live in a strong democracy and take pride and comfort in that.

Oh those evil Americans. Shame on them for sticking up for themselves. Why, a Canadian would never defend him/herself. They would simply bend over and take it like a true Canuckistani.

My grandfather, God rest his soul, was Canadian through and through. But, if he were alive today to witness what Canada has become, he would be outraged. A once proud people, now reduced to treachery against it's one time best friend, and still to this day, it's only means of defense from the animals (ragheads) in this world that would wish her harm (I mean come on, the New York Police Department has more cops than the entire Canuckistani "military" has uniformed personnel).

I think there is still time to repair this mess. Unfortunately too many Canadians are convinced that the rest of the world is right and we Americans are wrong. Be careful "neighbors", else you might become more like us than you might be prepared to accept (aka our 51st state). We will not allow an enemy on our border. We will take steps to keep that from happening. Be aware!

Indeed I do. He epitomizes the worst of America. If I did not see so much more intelligent comment and decency emanating from the US, I would think that they were all some believe Bush to be.

A country once known for considerable military prowess (leave aside the non-defeat of the USA) and for having a tough SOB military, is now virtually defenseless.

Given that we are geographically isolated, and lack America's predilication for trampling small, defenceless countries, we don't really need a large military.

Whatever the flaws in US immigration policy (we know, we know) we have an iron wall compared to the (suicidal?) immigration policy of Canada, in particular its -- never better said -- insane asylum policy.

The dirty secret about our scientific edge is that it's largely produced by foreigners and immigrants. Americans don't do science

The facts are plain. U.S. visa procedures have become far too cumbersome, and bureaucrats are turning down far more applications than ever before. One crucial result is the dramatic decline of foreign students in the U.S.—the first shift downward in 30 years. Three new reports document the magnitude of this fall. Undergraduate enrollment from China dropped 20 percent this year; from India, 9 percent; from Japan, 14 percent. The declines are even worse in graduate schools: applications from China have dropped 45 percent; from India, 28 percent.

Some Americans might say, "Good riddance, it's their loss." Actually the greater loss is ours.

Canada once had a foreign policy of realism and staunch support for the pro-West alliance (e.g., anti-Fascist, anti-Communist) but has let it evolve into a squishy, feminized ("girlie-man"?) series of attitudes, i.e., the search for the politically correct pose of the moment, in short, Canada is now the Mother Teresa of nations -- a chunk of Sweden that has drifted away (or is Sweden a chunk of Canada?)

Putting aside the arogant, high school jock braggadocio, the implication here is that Canada's past support on some issues should guarantee Canada's backing on everything until perpetuity. Which is certainly not the basis of sound national policy. Actually, I see Canada's increasing recitence to support the mad emperor as wholly consistent with our past fights against fascism.

Americans can keep their arrogance, their self-absorbtion, their crazed "Christian" right, their far-reaching ignorance, their junk culture. And they can keep the obnoxious Aussies too. I'd be happy being Sweden.

And they can keep the obnoxious Aussies too.

I take exception to that. Especially considering there were polls indicating a majority were against invading Iraq - a position you seem to equate with intelligence and morality. Don't assume Howards election win was a show of approval for events in Iraq. Notwithstanding any of that the majority of Australias actions indicate that its people are as caring, concerned and compassionate as people anywhere else.

Aside from that. Thankyou for you sweeping generalisation which just insulted an entire nation. Thats ever so slightly judgemental of you!