Chris Rock: Black people haven't progressed, white people have

In my last few years in education, when I dealt with young blacks who were ambivalent about the future and looking for direction I would often give them a present of one of my favorite autobiographies:

In my years of education two generations earlier, white liberal teachers would give young blacks books like these:

• The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Malcolm X with Alex Haley
  • Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
  • Soul On Ice - Eldridge Cleaver
Edited by bush_cheney2004

In my years of education two generations earlier, white liberal teachers would give young blacks books like these:

And did they read them? From what I understand education is not given much respect among young blacks, particularly those in urban environments.

IMO The death of the black family has a lot to do with it. I think we have seen where blacks can do whatever they want, if they want.

Completely irrelevant to the point Chris Rock is making. He was discussing that there was historical abuser and a historical abused side and therefore is no improvement between the 'races' - it's just the abuser side stopping its abuse (or at least lessening it).

Your 'point' brings nothing to this discussion other than perhaps attempt to justify and/or excuse the abuse.

Nevermind, I will just look it up myself since you're not the least bit helpful. Being a "citizen" of the US from what I've heard is not enough. You have to be born there. A wiki article on acquiring citizenship doesn't answer my question. But then, when do you ever answer anything directly.

Nevermind, I will just look it up myself since you're not the least bit helpful. Being a "citizen" of the US from what I've heard is not enough. You have to be born there. A wiki article on acquiring citizenship doesn't answer my question. But then, when do you ever answer anything directly.

Sorry, way off topic and could have looked it up anyway. Gotta make it racial !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

so you don't have to be born in the US as long as one parent is?

Yes, as long as said parent is a US citizen.........which is why the birther conspiracy launched (by Trump?) against President Obama was nonsense.....even if he was born in Kenya, his mother was still a US citizen.

Completely irrelevant to the point Chris Rock is making. He was discussing that there was historical abuser and a historical abused side and therefore is no improvement between the 'races' - it's just the abuser side stopping its abuse (or at least lessening it).

My question, and could apply to countless other examples, at what point is the "abuser side" no longer responsible for past actions? Sins of the Father and all that....

My question, and could apply to countless other examples, at what point is the "abuser side" no longer responsible for past actions? Sins of the Father and all that....

That's a whole other debate, which has very little relevance to my post or the OP. I don't really want to venture into a thread drift.

That's a whole other debate, which has very little relevance to my post or the OP. I don't really want to venture into a thread drift.

How is that thread drift? Isn't that the crux of Rock's point of white and black peoples "progression" within the United States? To rephrase, how long can the "abused side" use the "excuse" of abuses that transpired generations before they were born?

In 2116, should white people feel guilty for slavery in the 1800s or the inequalities that led to the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s? My point, at what time can "white people" no longer feel guilty and "black people" no longer use past abuses as an excuse?

I disagree about the Crux of Rock's statement. What he is saying is that the use of 'improvement of race relations' is hogwash because it was never a two-way conflict. It was one side abusing the other side.

Whether or not today's whites should feel guilty about slavery is a different topic of discussion.

I disagree about the Crux of Rock's statement. What he is saying is that the use of 'improvement of race relations' is hogwash because it was never a two-way conflict. It was one side abusing the other side.

Blacks don't abuse whites?

No, he's saying 'improvement of race relations' is a euphemism for 'white people stopped enslaving black people'.

I think what he's saying is that white people have evolved since the times of slavery, but blacks are fundamentally the same as when they were brought over here.

Kind of unfair if you asked me.

I think what he's saying is that white people have evolved since the times of slavery, but blacks are fundamentally the same as when they were brought over here

He is also implying that blacks were modern civilized people when they were forced into slavery and they did not need to evolve. Edited by TimG