Gloria Steinem: My Life on the Road

WestCoastRunner

Hard to believe this feminist icon is 84 years old and yet she has just published a book (in 20 years) called 'My Life on the Road'.

These quotes from her book are highly relevant in today's world. If you want to watch an interview she did in Toronto promoting her book, have a look.

"If you have had more power, it's important to listen as much as you speak. And if you have had less power, it's important to speak as much as you listen, which is sometimes also difficult"

"We all have a purple harley inside us somewhere. We just need to get on it and ride"

"Move at the speed of trust"

"Children are born with some pretty important understandings. They will say to you in every language in the world some version of 'That's not fair" and 'Your not the boss of me" and I say "Yes! That's it!" That's the basis of every social justice movement. The problem is, we are made to give that up. We're made to feel that hierarchies are natural, which they aren't"

Interestingly, she has come out and said that electing a female U.S. president in 2016 will be very difficult and that when men see a very powerful woman, it makes them regress to childhood. Hmmmmm.

It's very strange when you look back at the 1960s and 1970s and read about opposition to some ideas that are very mainstream today.

Exactly, she mentioned that 'domestic violence' wasn't even a term back then. If domestic violence happened, it was passed off as 'just life'.

Gloria really is profound in some of her thoughts. She mentioned in the interview that her mother was a journalist and editor but had to write under a man's name to get her work published. Once she had children she gave up that dream to support her husband's dream and Gloria says that her mother's spirit was broken for most of her life. That led her to believe that everyone needs a journey in order to be fulfilled in life. How true!

If domestic violence happened, it was passed off as 'just life'.

Meanwhile, that is just life for male domestic violence victims today.

Interestingly, she has come out and said that electing a female U.S. president in 2016 will be very difficult

Yeah, because she is living in the past. Being female will be an immense advantage. The 'it is time for a women' narrative will be very powerful and sway a lot of voters.

And to do that you hope that being female will be an immense advantage?

Well, I'll leave it up to you to sort out your cognitive dissonance.

Over all, women heads of government have a pretty good track record and they make up half the population.

I'll leave your problems with women up to you.

Because in our gynocentric society, advocating for equality and the destruction of gender roles is perceived as 'hating women'.

Of course I do.

One of the reasons I no longer post in the gender forum is because of your incessant attacks towards posts that try to address issues with women.

One of the reasons I no longer post in the gender forum is because

Because your sexist position doesn't hold up to scrutiny in the free market place of ideas.

This is why so many people pushing your narrative advocate for censorship and 'safe spaces'.

Edited by -1=e^ipi