Why are Globe & Mail & Toronto Star both against Stephen Harpe

I do not need a newspaper to tell me how to think or who to vote for! I personally don't think newspapers should give endorsements. They should remain neutral.

It's the editorial department and/or the publisher of the newspaper that is making the endorsement. And what the heck is the point of an editorial section of any newspaper but to make editorial stands?

First of all, I don't depend on newspaper endorsements to tell me how to vote Secondly I see a lot pro NDP and pro Liberal articles in both the Star and Globe and Mail so they have probably been against Harper a long time yes? Lastly I was surprised to see the Globe be so extreme to publish this http://www.whynotharper.ca/#printablelist

But you raise a point that I would like someone at the Globe and Star to confirm... Toad Brother says that the decision to endorse a candidate is made only by the editorial group (maybe about 20 people?) I was told that the employees hold a mock election at each newspaper and based on their vote, that is how the newspaper endorses. Can someone from each newspaper come here to this thread and confirm this. If all the employees of the newspapers get to "endorse" why should a group of 20 people have so much influence. Btw... does anyone have a list of all the newspaper endorsements for each candidate. Who wins the the newspaper vote?

and the G&M editorial staff is polishing language to somehow come out and again endorse Harper. Now there's a big surprise!

On the contrary. The Toronto/Montreal editorial staff is increasingly irrelevant.

(BTW, La Presse in 2016 will exist in paper only on Saturdays. I suspect that the Toronto Star will soon follow... )

=====

Waldo, 2 points:

1. Canada is changing. The Toronto/Montreal/G&M/La Presse world has less and less influence. Trudeau Jnr may win this 2015 federal election but people like him are in the wane. (Trudeau Snr knew this as he famously said: "Out there, where they think I'm a Communist." or "If I can get along with Jack Horner, you can get along with Quebec.") Well, the "out there" is now a big part of Canada.

2. Canada (and the Western World) face a broader issue. [i happen to believe in a multicultural (even multilingual) society so that's not the issue.] When Trudeau Jnr talks of this, he sounds like his mother - after smoking weed and listening to a CBC tape of her husband. Heck, Obama even sounds more thoughtful than Trudeau Jnr. Trudeau Snr, OTOH, was no fool when discussing such issues.

Edited by August1991

• 1 month later...