Leaders debate Aug 6

In reality the bottom 30% pay zero in taxes to support the education of their children, their health care, the roads and transportation networks, or anything else. The top 1% made about 10% of income but paid over 20% of all federal and provincial taxes. The top 10% paid 55% of taxes. The top 20% you are speaking of pay approximately 85% of income taxes.

WEALTH, not income.

All of the above may be true and good, but as we progress and wealth gets concentrated tighter and tighter, who will be controlling the politicians that used to make those nice progressive tax rules that you cite, above?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEALTH, not income.

All of the above may be true and good, but as we progress and wealth gets concentrated tighter and tighter, who will be controlling the politicians that used to make those nice progressive tax rules that you cite, above?

How will they control them? With $1500 donations?

All feelings and no facts - I see why you like Trudeau.

No big project starts without a "vision". If I have a "feeling" what I want my Canada to look like... In terms of social services, population mobility, research capability, foreign policy influence, trading partners, etc.... THEN I can try to get there. I may succeed in some ways fail in others, but I know where I am trying to go. A vision of "let's leave it all the same" is a death knell. Things grow, or they die.

The linkage that was being made in the debate between "economy", and "environment" "in the 21st century" has very little with "trade-offs" between "selling more oil", or "reducing CO2".

It has to do about trust. The very definition of a business deal is trust.

If Harper had been open and acceptant of environmental concerns 10 years ago and throughout his tenure... then all sorts of agreements would have been possible by now because Obama, and the native communities, and the provinces, and the environmentalists, and everybody else would have trusted that he takes their concerns seriously. Deals would have been made.

But now... Nobody trusts him, because of that early position on environmental concerns, and deals are impossible.

Why would harper remove the rule which is crushing his opponents from raising funds from bay street and unions?

Well, nobody said anything specifically about Harper... That was a post about generic Wealth Inequality. As this inequality starts to reach a critical stage (if it hasn't already), whoever controls the money will control the government, no matter what the rules are. If it turns out that the UNIONS control 99-percent of wealth, they will. control the government..... Yeah, right...

No big project starts without a "vision". If I have a "feeling" what I want my Canada to look like... In terms of social services, population mobility, research capability, foreign policy influence, trading partners, etc.... THEN I can try to get there. I may succeed in some ways fail in others, but I know where I am trying to go. A vision of "let's leave it all the same" is a death knell. Things grow, or they die.

I have a feeling of what I want my Canada to look like too. The difference is that I've considered the cost.

No chance ever, eh? That's a funny position for someone who's supposedly a free-market economist and believes that everyone has equal opportunity. At least we now know that's wrong. You're actually an elitist who supports an oligarchical tyranny and believes everyone should know their place.

It's called hierarchy, It happens naturally on a sub conscious level in all animals on earth. You have probably behaved several times in this fashion without even realizing it.

Or are you one of those who see themselves on a high horse compared to the rest of the animal kingdom?

Edited by Freddy

Trudeau's closing remarks are generating some comment...

It is telling that 10 years of Harper has turned Canada so cynical that our only goals now are to "have a job", and "stay safe".

The Canada of the 1960's, 70's, 80's was a Canada of optimism and vision.... Bill of rights, aboriginal vote, new flag, CPP, patriation of constitution, universal health care, etc.

I think Trudeau was trying to re-kindle some of that optimism, and it may well have been more effective than you cynics can imagine, especially among the young.

Harper may have said "I love Canada" at some point, but I have never heard him do so. But he HAS, famously, denigrated Canada: "Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term," in 1997. He went on, in that speech, to complain about a lot of Canadian Institutions, including the way the House of Commons works.... features which, by the way, he made no effort to improve... but features which he used quite blatantly to solidify his hold on power.... http://thetyee.ca/News/2011/03/23/StephenHarpersEyes/

Trudeau's "love of Canada" is a sharp contrast to Harper's, and he was probably trying to highlight that. If Canada were Harper's child, he would send it to bed with a handshake. Trudeau would hug it, tuck it in, and talk about the wonderful things they would do together tomorrow. Again, you cynics may not understand, but a great portion of the population does.

The Canada of those days were also smoking so much drugs they would be considered brain dead to today's standards.

I have a feeling of what I want my Canada to look like too. The difference is that I've considered the cost.

Maybe.

Have you considered new innovative ways of funding your dream?

Have you come up with a dream that is SO worthwhile, that people are willing to sacrifice and HELP you to achieve it?

The Canada of those days were also smoking so much drugs they would be considered brain dead to today's standards.

Wait now, I thought you recently stated it was today's young people who are so brain dead. Which is it? And if you think people aren't smoking pot these days, why do you reckon JT get's a boost in the polls when he talks of legalizing it?

Maybe.

Have you considered new innovative ways of funding your dream?

Have you come up with a dream that is SO worthwhile, that people are willing to sacrifice and HELP you to achieve it?

My vision for Canada involves people living their lives and the government staying out where possible (other than health, defence, education, etc). I'm pretty happy now.

Wait now, I thought you recently stated it was today's young people who are so brain dead. Which is it? And if you think people aren't smoking pot these days, why do you reckon JT get's a boost in the polls when he talks of legalizing it?

Well imagine, those brain dead drug smoking idiot's had kids. Who are also at this point in their life smoking their brains out. It's natural.

Oh REALLY?

are you suggesting that marijuana is more brain-killing than today's, cocaine, crack, meth, etc., etc., etc.

Not as much, but you can still tell who smokes pot. Or dinks a lot of alcohol. It takes its toll.

Everyone I know who smoke pot are brain dead. Those people like to think pot doesn't affect them, But it does, and we can tell.

Edited by Freddy

Well imagine, those brain dead drug smoking idiot's had kids. Who are also at this point in their life smoking their brains out. It's natural.

Yeah and guess what, you can even gt a prescription for it these days from what must be one of those brain dead non functioning doctors..who went to medical school for years.

Yeah, except Canadians LIKE $11 toasters! They like that a LOT! They like cheap computers and TVs and cell phones and air conditioners. Hell, when I was younger only those with really good jobs could afford AC. Now you can buy one for a hundred bucks! You want to put up big tariffs that will drastically increase the cost of all this stuff, and almost certainly be against WTO rules. Which means those countries, like China, will then retaliate by cutting off our imports.

Yes, absolutely correct.

The problem is, that when all those wonderful trade agreements were made, nobody seemed to understand that the $11 toaster TODAY, meant that I won't have my job TOMORROW. But I'm okay: toasters are only $11, I can dip a little into my savings from when I HAD a job, and maybe I can do some part-time greeting at Walmart. Only problem is...I will never have the money for the deluxe $20 model.

And now .....our 18 year old CHILDREN, starting out into the working world TODAY.... How many good-paying jobs are they finding in order to get at those deluxe models?

Edited by Icebound

Yeah and guess what, you can even gt a prescription for it these days from what must be one of those brain dead non functioning doctors..who went to medical school for years.

I know right, because I've never heard of a prescription drug ever having any bad side affect, especially with, permanent use. Your right. It must be safe. Smoke you're brains out OGFT