More vote-buying

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should a landlord get a tax break for keeping up his place that he makes an income from?

I know lots of people who do landscaping in their rentals. Or they fix things themselves just because they can, they're fairly minor and they don't want to bother with the landlord. No tax breaks for them though...

The landlord gets to deduct repairs, maintenance and landscaping costs related to a rental property against the income of the property.

If expenses exceed the revenue then the landlord can deduct the net loss against other sources of income.

Deduction of CCA (building depreciation) is not allowed when there is an operating loss.

It is in this way that stupid people think they are getting rich by owning a rental property and receiving a tax refund each year because they are losing money.

That's very naive... 1.5 billion dollars per year are now gone from tax revenue. It has to be made up from someone else. Or services cut elsewhere.

As for tax cuts being beneficial whether across the board or targetted, lets look at these comeback kids:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/30/irish-economy-grows-strongly-return-pre-crisis-levels

If a landlord has 10 tenants one year, but only 5 the next, his tax bill is the same. He can't go to city hall and insist that he had half the renters and should pay half the tax - sorry, he is stuck with it. And if you don't pay rent, the gov't isn't banging on Mr. Squids door looking for money, nor does he get repo'd or garnished. Why? because Mr.Squid is not responsible for paying that tax bill, Mr Landlord is.

The landlord has a business that he pays taxes on, you are simply a client...or customer.

If a landlord has 10 tenants one year, but only 5 the next, his tax bill is the same. He can't go to city hall and insist that he had half the renters and should pay half the tax - sorry, he is stuck with it. And if you don't pay rent, the gov't isn't banging on Mr. Squids door looking for money, nor does he get repo'd or garnished. Why? because Mr.Squid is not responsible for paying that tax bill, Mr Landlord is.

The landlord has a business that he pays taxes on, you are simply a client...or customer.

You are talking about property taxes rather than income taxes.

I have clients who own lots of rental properties and who some years make lots of money and pay lots of income taxes.

In other years they lose lots of money and get refunds (since they have employment income and tax withheld) since some units were vacant and they use it as an opportunity to do lots of R&M.

Imo they would have an easier time if they bought a REIT fund like XRE but the leverage that real estate allows one to use is a tremendous advantage so ....

The recession is almost certainly already over.

Then why would they wait 2 years to role out their home owner renovation welfare cheques... to go along with their children welfare cheques.

All this does is make homes more expensive, upping value and feeding into the housing bubble even more. Terrible idea. It was stupid when the liberals attempted to bring it in and it's still stupid now.

How about we stop giving away welfare...I mean tax credits that always benefit people like Harper.

Then why would they wait 2 years to role out their home owner renovation welfare cheques

Because their internal polling says it would be a popular policy. Why else?

How about we stop giving away welfare...I mean tax credits that always benefit people like Harper.

You mean people that actually pay taxes?

Because their internal polling says it would be a popular policy. Why else?

You mean people that actually pay taxes?

No, I pay taxes on money I make 6 days a week. Have no children and receive no government welfare for not having any. Why should people that have children get any of the money I pay into the system to keep it going?

No, I pay taxes on money I make 6 days a week. Have no children and receive no government welfare for not having any. Why should people that have children get any of the money I pay into the system to keep it going?

What does that have to do with houses?

Seriously though, families generally need the most money - I don't have children either and I can see that.

What does that have to do with houses?

Seriously though, families generally need the most money - I don't have children either and I can see that.

Then they can go work for it like the rest of us. I chose not to have children in my 20's to save up for having them later in life. Why should I have to pay because they didn't do the same thing?

Why should non-home owners pay for home-owners renovations? Making home-owners houses worth more money.

How does this make any sense to anyone.

Welfare is meant to help people that need it.

And what do you see as the thing that is about to lift us out of it?

The same thing that every other forecast sees - a strengthening US economy resulting in service sector and export gains in non commodity areas.

Then they can go work for it like the rest of us. I chose not to have children in my 20's to save up for having them later in life. Why should I have to pay because they didn't do the same thing?

Why should non-home owners pay for home-owners renovations? Making home-owners houses worth more money.

How does this make any sense to anyone.

Welfare is meant to help people that need it.

Ugh

Non homeowners are not paying anything. Its a tax break to the homeowners who pay a lot of taxes. Dont worry your taxes arent going up

Ugh

Non homeowners are not paying anything. Its a tax break to the homeowners who pay a lot of taxes. Dont worry your taxes arent going up

You do know that tax breaks theoretically come out of everyone's taxes?

I am a home owner, I don't agree with this.

Tax breaks are a form of welfare.