Where have you travelled (going to travel) open thread

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too often, one travels to the ends of the earth only to find that the best place is "home".

I suppose.

How would one know if one has no experience of other places, people, cultures?

My estimation of Canada has actually gone down since I have begun travelling, for example.

Although, to be fair, this could be correlation with the Harper years... ;)

You may have saved yourself a lot of money and travel.

We all have different hobbies or things we spend our time and money on. Let's hope we derive enjoyment from that time and money spent.

We all have different hobbies or things we spend our time and money on. Let's hope we derive enjoyment from that time and money spent.

Perhaps you are correct. I have not traveled extensively in my life for a variety of reasons. I form my opinion from my friends and peers who have and continue to travel around the world for work and pleasure. While they do share stories of wonderful adventure and exceptional views they all come back now more appreciating the rights, freedoms and life style in Canada.

While they do share stories of wonderful adventure and exceptional views they all come back now more appreciating the rights, freedoms and life style in Canada.

That's what everyone says but I think it is overstated.

I could happily live in Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Ecuador, and Greece for various stretches of time assuming they would let me.

I know this probably doesn't count: I would still be treated like a tourist even if I bounced between those countries so I would probably have a privileged status.

But, no doubt, I would still maintain my Canadian citizenship, and likely even residency for tax purposes (and pay tax in Canada) for our medical system.

So, unless I had $5+ million, I would certainly maintain some presence in Canada for those reasons.

In fact, my retirement plan is to spend quite a bit of time outside of Canada but that will depend on health and wealth to some degree.

Not close enough to the wealth stage to get into the heavy research yet which is why we travel to far off places now to see how we like them and then will consider them in 20 years when the time comes.

Hence my list above (so far).

Off the list? France/Germany/Holland - too expensive and too boring.

The US is on the list for me but my wife is afraid of Americans so it's not on the list if you know what I mean.

I could easily live in Mexico. Still, Canada is one of the best countries in the world, and I'd have trouble giving it up.

The United States actually holds very little appeal to me.

Oh, and I decided on spending a week in Greece at the end of May.

Oh, and I decided on spending a week in Greece at the end of May.

I spent a couple of weeks there a few years ago. Great culture, food, scenery, history and in May the weather should be very comfortable. I went in July, it was incredibly hot and humid.

Are you seeing some of the islands?

Are you seeing some of the islands?

We're splitting our time with a couple days in Athens, and Santorini, which we're flying in and out of to save time. I'm not one to take long trips, so a week is great for me.

We're splitting our time with a couple days in Athens, and Santorini, which we're flying in and out of to save time. I'm not one to take long trips, so a week is great for me.

Santorini is a such a unique, beautiful, relaxing place. It is one of my favourite places I have ever been. Have a great trip!

Yeah, I love Santorini.

Nice little island.

Good luck with the mule poo! Walk down, but take the gondola up.

Check out the volcano - it's a fun little excursion.

Try the local food and go for the wine. Take in the shopping - buy the fiancé some jewellery.

• 1 month later...

Cambodia is definitely on my bucket list, but getting there is pretty pricey. Has anyone on here ever been to India? I know it's dirty and filthy and everything else, but I'm finding it really intriguing the more I read about it.

• 1 month later...

Cambodia is definitely on my bucket list, but getting there is pretty pricey. Has anyone on here ever been to India? I know it's dirty and filthy and everything else, but I'm finding it really intriguing the more I read about it.

Thinking about India too but probably after we do Burma this year and probably Mongolia next.

Check out G adventures and Intrepid Travel for tours to India: that's likely how we'll go.

https://www.gadventures.com/

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/?gclid=CN-O7O7ty8wCFZSEfgodlKUPkQ

As a post tax season treat the wife and I did a day trip to Victoria yesterday.

I love that city.

Had lunch at Zambri's - a nice Italian restaurant.

Found a beautiful white wine: Monte Del Fra Ca Del Magro: http://www.montedelfra.it/old/en/Product/white_wines/ca_del_magro

Then hit up the wine store in the Highland on the way home, found it and bought two bottles.

Walked all over the harbour area to walk off lunch (the glass of wine, the chocolate gelato with sparkling red wine) since I should watch my girlish figure.

Got a book on Burma at Munro's book store and I'm reading up on what adventures we will get into later this year while I down my new favourite wine.

Life is good.

Here is a list of 5 cheap countries someone may want to retire to: https://internationalliving.com/2016/02/5-low-cost-countries-where-you-can-live-on-1500-a-month-or-less/

Peru, Cambodia, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Columbia are on this list and they are also on my bucket list so who knows - I may find a home for retirement yet.

Unless you're retiring to one of these countries purely for financial reasons because you can't afford to retire in Canada, I don't get it. If you prefer these countries to Canada, why not live and work there rather than waiting until you are old to go where you enjoy? If I liked somewhere else more than where I live, I'd just move there now rather than waiting decades.

I'm working on it!

I have been dragging my partnership into the digital age slowly but surly.

Getting to a paperless office has been challenging to say the least.

Thanks to one partner finally retiring I get to push the agenda forward again.

But I do enjoy living on the ocean on Vancouver Island. It's not a money thing for me since we don't have kids and make ends meet on a decent income.

But there is so much to love about visiting countries that most people see as nothing better than third world developing nations: the people in particular. The food. The different climate, animals, etc.

Canada is so boring ( as is Europe, US, and any place too developed).

But that's just the wife and me. To each their own.

However, one really should travel to some of these places first before poo pooing them as options to visit for any good length of time.

Oh I wouldn't "poo-poo" any of the "third world" options. They offer a different kind of life, and that life may be better suited for some people, such as yourself perhaps. That said, I wouldn't characterize Canada and other advanced nations as boring... it all depends on what you do and what you find excitement in. Myself, I'm all about alpine climbing, and there are lifetimes worth of world class mountains to be climbed in Canada, the US, and Europe (and of course other parts of the world too).

But if you do find Canada so boring, I just don't understand continuing to live there. As an educated Westerner, there are any number of high paying jobs and career paths you could undertake in many of the countries you mention. Why not forget the partnership and move to one of these more exciting countries now?

It's a cowardice/ comfort thing.

Maybe after the parents are gone, and after the partner who brought me into the partnership has retired, and after I've completed 5 years of being cancer free, and once my net worth is over a million.

It's comforting to have a job that allows me to save for retirement while also giving me the spare time of about 6 weeks per year to travel to far off lands.

One day I will tire of it and perhaps I can settle down working on another country and travel from their.

But I'm in a good place right now so maybe it will be time to rock the boat in a few years time ( or hopefully longer than that as I would prefer my parents to live a long life).

Thinking about India too but probably after we do Burma this year and probably Mongolia next.

I think I'd probably stick to the Golden Triangle for the first time. Why Mongolia?

I leave for Greece in 17 days, so definitely looking forward to that.

Why Mongolia?

Why not?

The history, the birds (well, the falconry/hawking), the yurts, the steppes, the mares milk, it's awesome....

I leave for Greece in 17 days, so definitely looking forward to that.

I love Greece as you know so I'm excited for you.

The wine is much better than people think ( as in people over here who have certain prejudices based on the crap they send us over here).

The olives and squid are divine.

Spend the time walking around the parks near the Acropolis if you are in Athens. Like this: http://www.athensguide.com/wildlife.html

We're only there for a total of 5 days (on the ground, not including travel - I'm not someone to take long trips) - 3 in Athens, and 2 in Santorini. Athens is one of my bucket list places, and Santorini is one of Kayla's. I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Smallc

Check out the Acropolis Museum if you can. Loved this one.

Also see the War Museum if only so you can tell me if it is worthwhile going to as I didn't make it.

As for Santorini: walk and see as much as you can. Try and get a swim in if you take a boat cruise over to the volcano.

It's a cowardice/ comfort thing.

Maybe after the parents are gone, and after the partner who brought me into the partnership has retired, and after I've completed 5 years of being cancer free, and once my net worth is over a million.

It's comforting to have a job that allows me to save for retirement while also giving me the spare time of about 6 weeks per year to travel to far off lands.

One day I will tire of it and perhaps I can settle down working on another country and travel from their.

But I'm in a good place right now so maybe it will be time to rock the boat in a few years time ( or hopefully longer than that as I would prefer my parents to live a long life).

Hah thanks for the explanation. I was mostly just probing to stir things a little, this thread needs more discussion/controversy :)

I definitely understand the comfort/cowardice thing. But the thing is... a lot of people think they are going to go on a grand adventure in their retirement (such as moving to a third world country), but most of them fail to follow through. The whole comfort/cowardice aspect of things doesn't go away after you retire just because you no longer have a day job, the comfort/cowardice just transfers to different things, for example:

Going into your 70s, do you really want to live somewhere where the medical care may not be up to Canadian standards, or provided in a language that you may not be fully fluent in, and away from your lifelong family doctor? Do you really want to be on the other side of the world from your children and grandchildren (if you have any)? What happens if the country becomes politically unstable while you are there? Will retirement in an exciting tropical location still seem as enticing once you grow less physically independent and mobile, or would the familiarity and support of the town you lived your whole life in seem more suitable? Would you even be able to move back if you needed to, given the financial and physical stresses of doing so? Is a location on the other side of the world really more interesting than spending time with people you've had lifelong friendships with?

These kinds of questions probably quash many adventurous retirement ideas people may have throughout their lives. My opinion is it's better to live the adventure now, while you are still young and able.

Edited by Bonam