Ex Cop writes a letter bragging how he abused the system.

They can in BC as well. The reason it is a 24 hr suspension is to get you off the road until you sober up and to dissuade people from drinking and driving at all.

And then you become uninsurable for doing something that isn't even criminal code violation.

Courts impose bail, not the police and it varies according to the seriousness of the charge and how much risk the court thinks you represent when it comes to not showing up for you trial date. Most cases do not involve bail at all, people are released on their own recognizance. Of course the alternative would be to just keep you in jail until your trial date.

If you aren't a flight risk or pose a safety risk then why not just let someone free. Then if they don't show up for their court date then charge them.

John Oliver tackled this.

Edited by Boges

And then you become uninsurable for doing something that isn't even criminal code violation.

I doubt you would become uninsurable unless you made a habit of it.

If you aren't a flight risk or pose a safety risk then why not just let someone free. Then if they don't show up for their court date then charge them.

That's pretty much what Canadian courts do. Bail is imposed in only a small percentage of cases. John Oliver is commenting on the US system where there is often a bail bondsman on every corner. How many times have you seen bail bondsmen advertising in Canada?

As far as the subject of the OP's topic goes, ya, this should have been dealt with a lot quicker and I'm not surprised people are upset about how long this took to be resolved.

Edited by Wilber

errr.... if you're caught driving 50kn/h over the speed limit, aren't you by definition guilty?

-k

No. The fact that a cop pulls you over for driving 50 km/h over the limit does not mean you are necessarily guilty. Perhaps the cop's speed measurement equipment was malfunctioning. Perhaps your vehicle was experiencing a malfunction causing it to accelerate out of control. Etc. The point is you're not guilty until you are proven to be guilty (or accept your guilt by paying the ticket).

Only for 24 hours. Do you think someone who has been caught drinking and driving or driving dangerously should just get a ticket and be let go with their car and license.

Sorry but you're wrong again!

Your license can be taken away for 3 months (90 days) by the police in Ontario. Depending on the charge.

24 hours is reasonable.

WWWTT

Only by court order on conviction for speeding and after a third time blowing over

You're going to have to google what the Ontario law is.

If you refuse to blow or blow .08, the cop charging you will suspend your license for 90 days. Right on the spot.

Since ignorance of the law can not be used as an excuse in Canadian law, I will follow their lead and tell you that if you are unaware of what the law in Ontario is, you can not just make up whatever you want.

You believe whatever you want to. Your comments now have been an exercise in glorifying ignorance.

Here you know what, click on this link and realize how ignorant you are!

http://www.lawyers.ca/impaired/pages/90daysus.htm

WWWTT

You're going to have to google what the Ontario law is.

If you refuse to blow or blow .08, the cop charging you will suspend your license for 90 days. Right on the spot.

Since ignorance of the law can not be used as an excuse in Canadian law, I will follow their lead and tell you that if you are unaware of what the law in Ontario is, you can not just make up whatever you want.

You believe whatever you want to. Your comments now have been an exercise in glorifying ignorance.

Here you know what, click on this link and realize how ignorant you are!

http://www.lawyers.ca/impaired/pages/90daysus.htm

WWWTT

Blowing .08 is impaired driving which is a criminal offense.

You were going on about .05 and speeding, now all of a sudden it is about .08. Not the same at all.

No it's not. Your license being taken away is the least of your worries after getting a DUI.

Interestingly this story surfaced today.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/21/durham-cop-charged-with-impaired-driving-in-off-duty-crash

An off-duty cop has been charged with drunk driving after a collision in Whitby this past weekend.

Durham Regional Police were called to an accident at Brock St. and Consumers Dr. Sunday around 1:40 a.m. A vehicle with three occupants had been rear-ended — two people were sent to hospital with minor injuries.

William Browell, 41, was charged with impaired driving and released on a promise to appear. His vehicle was impounded for seven days and his licence suspended for 90 days, police said.

Durham police assigned Browell to administrative duties pending the case’s outcome.

Presumed Innocent right? Get's to keep his, likely, 6-figure salary pushing papers around. Joe Public would likely not be treated so well.

No it's not. Your license being taken away is the least of your worries after getting a DUI.

Interestingly this story surfaced today.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/21/durham-cop-charged-with-impaired-driving-in-off-duty-crash

Presumed Innocent right? Get's to keep his, likely, 6-figure salary pushing papers around. Joe Public would likely not be treated so well.

I guess that would be up to Joe Public's employer and whether he can be assigned duties that didn't involve driving. It would depend a lot on how much that employer valued that employee. Of course, none of that has any bearing on his guilt or innocence under the law. My advice to anyone who depends on a drivers license to earn their living would be, don't drive after you have been drinking if you want to keep doing that job.

First this was about .05 and speeding, now all of a sudden it is about .08. Not the same at all.

No it's not!

It's about losing your drivers license without a just trial where evidence is heard.

But like I said before, you are spinning this debate around and around to fit your ignorance.

WWWTT

Back to the original post; ie. should a suspended Police Officer receive full pay while on suspension awaiting disposition of her / his case?

I plead ignorance here but is it not possible that this is related to the collective agreement?

Yes it is. But doesn't mean it's right. Should it be changed?

Also, in the original post, I missed any reference to the reason for the suspension. I did not see any reference to illegal activity.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2015/07/15/ex-waterloo-cop-says-paid-suspension-a-dream-come-true.html

Markham, 37, an officer for 11 years, was charged criminally with breach of trust. He pleaded guilty and was given a conditional discharge in October 2012.

He also faced Police Act charges including breach of confidence, insubordination and discreditable conduct after he leaked private information on someone who was in custody to the person’s partner.

Markham was working the front desk at the Kitchener detachment in September 2011 when a friend, who had ties to the Hells Angels, was arrested on drug trafficking charges. The officer received a text from the man’s common-law wife and he logged onto a police computer to call up a report on the investigation.

Dude pleaded guilty and still got paid!!!!

Edited by Boges

The full pay issue sounds like a matter between the employer and the Police Association.

As for the criminal activity, I never open links as a matter of principled paranoia. If information is relevant, I always hope that it will be spelled out in the text.

This individual is a reprobate, according to what you reprinted.

On the radio ,they were saying in Peterborough, the chief and deputy chief were technically fired and rehired over a name change to the force and then they went on to collect a severance package ,around 400g's between the 2.