Microaggressions

Too bad so sad for them. Oh noes, other people have it worse than me, I feel so invalidated!

I mean, if you're good with being an asshole, that's your call, literally no one is stopping you.

Not to mention it's funny how quick you were to play the oppression card to assert your own bona fides.

Edited by Black Dog

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about extreme sensitivity. Both the edict and the over-the-top response. Just my opinion though.

Again, you're dismissing the fact that microaggressions combine to create an unwelcoming and hostile environment that perpetuates racist, sexist, and bigoted hierarchies. This you are calling "extreme sensitivity," which itself is a microaggression that is dismissive of the experiences of people who face them daily. Edited by cybercoma

This you are calling "extreme sensitivity," which itself is a microaggression that is dismissive of the experiences of people who face them daily.

ROTFL. What is amazing is you actually appear to believe this contradictory and self serving nonsense. The fact is people say things that are misinterpreted or even rude all of the time. That is life. Trying to call these normal human interactions racism simply because one of the parties happens to have a different skin colour is absurd. People have a responsibility to be civil and part of that responsibility includes not over reacting to reasonable comments that were not made with malicious intent.

Being civil also includes accepting that people have different opinions on various legal/political questions like affirmative action and people have a right to express their opinion even if someone else does not like it.

Edited by TimG

So if people accidentally attribute that to Voltaire rather than Hall it's a micro aggression?

Quoting any 'dead white male' is a microagression because it implies that non-whites don't matter. There is no excuse for not finding a female african philosopher to quote instead. Edited by TimG

The fact is people say things that are misinterpreted or even rude all of the time. That is life. Trying to call these normal human interactions racism simply because one of the parties happens to have a different skin colour is absurd.

Yes. How do neuroatypical people fit into this? This whole thing reeks of neuronormativity!

ROTFL. What is amazing is you actually appear to believe this contradictory and self serving nonsense. The fact is people say things that are misinterpreted or even rude all of the time. That is life. Trying to call these normal human interactions racism simply because one of the parties happens to have a different skin colour is absurd. People have a responsibility to be civil and part of that responsibility includes not over reacting to reasonable comments that were not made with malicious intent.

Being civil also includes accepting that people have different opinions on various legal/political questions like affirmative action and people have a right to express their opinion even if someone else does not like it.

You dismissing what microaggressions are simply because you don't like it doesn't make them any less real. If you spent half as much time understanding as you do dismissing, you might actually become enlightened some day.

You dismissing what microaggressions are simply because you don't like it doesn't make them any less real.

And if you dare ask for evidence, or are skeptical, or think there is an alternative explanation for what they have experienced, that is a form of micro-aggression!

If you spent half as much time understanding as you do dismissing, you might actually become enlightened some day.

Yeah TimG. You need to listen and believe more! Thinking is a form of micro-aggression.

BxcuYwVCEAAONMQ.jpg

Edited by -1=e^ipi

Would that include racial slurs or sexist jokes?

It depends on the jokes and context I guess. Of course some are not in good taste. It becomes very controversial though when you start criminalizing speech, denying free speech, even when it's distasteful to the vast majority.

Also, instead of me saying "People shouldn't be FORCED (via be fired or denied promotion etc.) to censor their own speech ANY TIME it is deemed some kind of racially/ethnically etc. offensive comment." What I meant to say was "EVERY TIME", not "ANY TIME".

So you agree there's a line, you just have a different idea of where to draw it.

Pretty much.

Some people with "foreign" accents may have been born here. There's a degree of presumptuousness when you ask that question that way.

Fair enough.

Social Justice is an Orwellian lie. Nearly everyone supports justice, they just have different understandings of what justice is. Terms like social justice have an implication that those that disagree with it are against justice. So rather than try to justify 'social justice' on its own merits, SJWs just play Orwellian word association games to associate justice with their position and injustice with the opposing position.

I agree.

You dismissing what microaggressions are simply because you don't like it doesn't make them any less real.

The question is not whether people make rude or unintentionally insensitive remarks. This happens. The question is whether we, as society, should care enough about such things to slap a label on them and start punishing people who make them (and thereby implicitly coddle the immature individuals who feel offended). The latter premise is it is simply a statement of personal ideology and not connected to any "reality" that requires understanding. FWIW, I understand that "microaggression" theory flows logically from the "cult of victim" which unpins all politically correct thinking but a logical extension of a flawed premise does not turn what is basically religious dogma into something "real". Edited by TimG

ROTFL. What is amazing is you actually appear to believe this contradictory and self serving nonsense. The fact is people say things that are misinterpreted or even rude all of the time. That is life. Trying to call these normal human interactions racism simply because one of the parties happens to have a different skin colour is absurd.

You're having a really hard time getting your head around this, hey?

So if people accidentally attribute that to Voltaire rather than Hall it's a micro aggression?

I'm sure you're planning on getting to a point sometime, so why not just have out with it?

It's all about extreme sensitivity. Both the edict and the over-the-top response. Just my opinion though.

You can call it "hyper-sensitive", others would call it "people fiercely defending their rights".

It all boils down to this being a battle between two conflicting rights. Which right should win out? People's right to free speech (and to not be censored) or people's right not to be offended (or to not be the subject of perceived racial/sexist etc. speech? If there's a line to be drawn, where do we draw the line?

..... FWIW, I understand that "microaggression" theory flows logically from the "cult of victim" which unpins all politically correct thinking but a logical extension of a flawed premise does not turn what is basically religious dogma into something "real".

Yep....it requires that victimhood always exists whenever social, economic, or political differentials exist, real or not. The mere perception of "inequality" is enough to get SJWs foaming at the mouth. Free speech / freedom of expression are just another casualty in this war of ideology.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

And that's not what microaggressions are, but you sure like to speak as an authority on something you hadn't heard about 3 hours ago.

I knew what microaggressions were before this op. I had even heard of them prior to the UCLA issuing implied threats to its staff. And, yes, that is what microaggressions are in essence because there is no objective standard to distinguish between rude and insensitive remarks and whatever each individual considers to be "microaggressions" so if such behavior is to be punished then that means all rude and insensitive remarks are to punished. That is why it is simply wrong to penalize such behavoir and people who are easily offended need to grow up are learn to live with being offended without taking it personally. Edited by TimG

Maybe it's our lives that are not challenging enough, without difficulty. We are so soft. It's like we're a bunch of big wet noddles.

Go join the Military and grow a back bone, for gods sake!

It's like I'm living with a bunch of spineless little kittens

I sure hope we never get invaded. I can picture the slaughter now.

In a global fist fight, I can see North America being completely humiliated.

Micro aggression..... I'm humiliated this is even discussed as something relevant. Anyone who has a problem with micro aggression should get a old fashioned face kicking, And then let me know about micro aggression.

Think about it. Let's deal with elimination of direct aggression like physical attacks. Anything after that is ridiculous.

Edited by Freddy

Asking people to have a little compassion and sensitivity is penalizing them. You're being melodramatic, Tim.

Is saying that the most qualified individual should get the job being insensitive?

It all boils down to this being a battle between two conflicting rights. Which right should win out? People's right to free speech (and to not be censored) or people's right not to be offended (or to not be the subject of perceived racial/sexist etc. speech? If there's a line to be drawn, where do we draw the line?

I don't think it even boils down to that. If the person being offended is part of a group the SJWs deem 'privileged' then that doesn't matter. Internal consistency is not something the SJW ideology cares about.

i_bathe_in_male_tears_black_mug-r0b4e93e