Unions, centre-left interests start anti-Harper Ad Campaign

It was only a matter of time......expect a flood of attack-ads from the Left up to when the writ is dropped.

A group of high-level Liberal and New Democratic backroom veterans has collected millions of dollars from unions and other centre-left interests to run a pre-election advertising campaign attacking Stephen Harper’s Conservatives.

The effort appears to confirm Conservatives’ fears of a federal equivalent of Working Families Coalition – the union umbrella group that has spent massively on attack ads in the past several Ontario elections, contributing to a run of losses for that province’s Progressive Conservatives.

Engage Canada’s leadership group includes Don Guy, who was campaign director for former Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty; Dave Gene, who was a deputy chief of staff for Mr. McGuinty and worked alongside Mr. Guy on Ontario Liberal campaigns; and Kathleen Monk, who was director of communications for the late NDP leader Jack Layton. Sources indicated that Brian Topp, a former national campaign director for the NDP, was also involved in early discussions, but that he ceased his involvement before he became chief of staff to Alberta Premier Rachel Notley.

Beyond any impact on Mr. Harper’s fortunes, the effort will serve as a test for the ability of outside groups to influence federal elections – something made difficult by much more restrictive campaign-finance laws than in Ontario and many other provinces. Spending by any third-party organization during the official election period is capped at $150,000 nationally. As a result, any significant advertising campaign by outside interests will need to happen before then. A source familiar with Engage Canada’s efforts said that it does not intend to advertise during the writ period at all, nor to register with Elections Canada as a third party for that purpose.

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/unions-centre-left-interests-to-begin-ad-campaign-attacking-harpers-tories/article24924913/

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol the Conservatives have run a perpetual campaign funded by oil money and taxpayers dollars for the last 4 years and Keepitsimple is going to complain about the other parties running ads after the writ drops. Come on ,man.

Edited by cybercoma

Funny thing even on CBC last nite they showed how much BS was in these ads. To bad they have to lie to win. But in the end IMO this will help harper. The unions need 5to be put in their place. They have already ruined ONT, we don't need the same results for the country.

Funny thing even on CBC last nite they showed how much BS was in these ads. To bad they have to lie to win. But in the end IMO this will help harper. The unions need 5to be put in their place. They have already ruined ONT, we don't need the same results for the country.

The Ontario example is disgusting. The public service unions and the liberals made a deal for years which granted the unions big pay raises and benefit hikes in exchange for kickbacks to the Liberals in the form of volunteers and paid political advertising on their behalf. Even the police unions are now working on their behalf. It ought to be illegal. It's as much bribery as if a corporation donates money to get influence with government.

Edited by Argus

Another thread started by right wing ideology poster not happy about attack adds against their right wing heroes!

Got to love it when the unions start punching back!

Conservatives I found are effective up until their opponents start swinging.

WWWTT

Another thread started by right wing ideology poster not happy about attack adds against their right wing heroes!

Got to love it when the unions start punching back!

Oh, so they've never 'punched back"? Seems to me the unions have been highly politically active since before I was born. But I know reality rarely intrudes into your bizzarro world positions.

I also note your hypocrisy in being in favour of bans on corporate advertising but wanting big labour to be able to put out tens of millions to support those they favour.

Don't you worry, he knows the TRUTH. Btw, they aren't attack ads when the left does it, they are TRUTH ads.

The truth is one of the things which bugged me the most when I was a union members was the blithe way union bosses would use union funds, which come from mandatory union dues, to pay for their political activism.

Hopefully they can be a little more creative than Harpers old worn out crap about JTs hair.

Hey, I actually saw a good Tory TV ad the other day! It might be the first I've seen in ... my memory!

It wasn't negative (I have nothing against negative ads, btw) but featured Harper working at his desk and talking about the important things a leader does, then leaving the office at the end of the day. You've probably seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxyuP_pZY40

The distinct difference between the union ads, and the ones the Conservatives have done, is the level of honesty. The CPC ads have certainly been unflattering, but they have always been demonstrably factual -- usually using the other guy's own words. These new union ones are the most dishonest ads I've ever seen. Attack all you want, but if you have to flat out lie to get your supposed point across, all that means is you don't really have one.

I also note your hypocrisy in being in favour of bans on corporate advertising but wanting big labour to be able to put out tens of millions to support those they favour.

You have a link going into detail?

I found this one, but if broadcasters can give away free air time to the parties, then I see a contradiction in your claim.

WWWTT

Oh, so they've never 'punched back"? Seems to me the unions have been highly politically active since before I was born. But I know reality rarely intrudes into your bizzarro world positions.

Looks like you didn't read the intro link.

Other outside interests have already launched ad campaigns in recent months, including Conservative-friendly ones such as Working Canadians. In fact, Engage Canada is partly billing itself as a response to those campaigns, as well as to the Conservatives’ heavy use of government advertising to help get their message out.

WWWTT

Hey, I actually saw a good Tory TV ad the other day! It might be the first I've seen in ... my memory!

It wasn't negative (I have nothing against negative ads, btw) but featured Harper working at his desk and talking about the important things a leader does, then leaving the office at the end of the day. You've probably seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxyuP_pZY40

I have seen it. How the hell does he justify using an office that I pay for, to make partisan ads...

He isn`t doing anything different then the Liberals did, in fact they spent more than the CPC has.. (and that's from the NDP) Whether it's right or wrong isn't the point, they are being hypocritical as are reporters who forget to mention that. People seem to forget what went on under Chretien and personally I don`t mind being informed which is a lot better than Engage Canada union funded lies. The ad is all baloney.

http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/politics/engage-canada-vs-evidence-jenni-byrne-and-the-conservatives/

and that group is funded by forced union dues, a variety of left wing groups and Dalton McGuinty architects (and we know how that went for Ontario) yet they first lie is that the are non partisan <_<.. they are anti conservative /Harper and as shown by their first ad - anti truth.

The unions in part bought the election for the Ontario Liberals with their multi millions in advertising, fortunately there are limits that kick in when the writ is dropped.

VOTE NDP - the very best government unions can buy!
If you think your taxes are high now, wait until you have to finance the NDP payback to its unions.

He isn`t doing anything different then the Liberals did, in fact they spent more than the CPC has.. (and that's from the NDP) Whether it's right or wrong isn't the point, they are being hypocritical as are reporters who forget to mention that. People seem to forget what went on under Chretien and personally I don`t mind being informed which is a lot better than Engage Canada union funded lies. The ad is all baloney.

http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/politics/engage-canada-vs-evidence-jenni-byrne-and-the-conservatives/

and that group is funded by forced union dues, a variety of left wing groups and Dalton McGuinty architects (and we know how that went for Ontario) yet they first lie is that the are non partisan <_<.. they are anti conservative /Harper and as shown by their first ad - anti truth.

The unions in part bought the election for the Ontario Liberals with their multi millions in advertising, fortunately there are limits that kick in when the writ is dropped.

If you think your taxes are high now, wait until you have to finance the NDP payback to its unions.

VOTE CPC- the best government corporations can but. (especially big oil)

Actually people don't mind paying taxes. It's corporations that pay a dismal fraction that ticks people off!

Of and all those off shore tax havens that the wealthy use to evade.

Looks like you're going to be a busy poster this summer digging up every link you can muster to prove your points so you better get a comfy pillow so you don't get a hard ass sitting of your computer sifting through links.

Enjoy!

Oh and by the way, this upcoming weekend was brought to you by UNIONS!

WWWTT