Poor children have smaller brains than wealthy children

So are you saying that West-Africans don't on average have lower cognitive performance than African-Americans, or that North Koreans don't have on average lower cognitive performance than South Koreans?

Link?

On what test in what language in what cultural context and how are the results equated for comparison?

Yes, I am saying it's a steaming pile of white supremacist crap.

Edited by jacee

The most important factors in preventing poverty are a good education and a stable 2 parent family. Let's focus on that instead of Neanderthal brain size discussions.

When are some people going to realize that single parent families are not going away. They are here to stay.

A good education starts with a creative and stimulating environment which is not easily accessible for children living in poverty who are not yet of school age.

Providing free ece for these children will go a long way to prevent this cycle of poverty and will contribute to a future healthy economy.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Providing free ece for these children will go a long way to prevent this cycle of poverty and will contribute to a future healthy economy.

Yet you still have not explained what programs should be cut to pay for such things. Money does not grow on trees.

When are some people going to realize that single parent families are not going away. They are here to stay.

A good education starts with a creative and stimulating environment which is not easily accessible for children living in poverty who are not yet of school age.

Nobody's saying single parent families are going away. It's just 2 parent families are better for children.

Yet you still have not explained what programs should be cut to pay for such things. Money does not grow on trees.

This is why we vote for competent politicians and economists to figure this out for us. Seriously, you want me to come up with a federal budget?

A 2 parent family could just as easily be living in poverty as a 1 parent family.

No that's just not true. Statistics show 1 parent families have a much higher poverty rate. You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

Link?

Just use google. It isn't that hard, omg.

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence#US_Black-White_gap

Review articles by Rushton and Jensen (2005 and 2010) stated that in the United States, Blacks and Whites have been the subjects of the greatest number of studies. These studies have shown that the Black-White IQ difference is about 15 to 18 points or 1 to 1.1 standard deviations (SDs).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_Global_Inequality

Lynn and Vanhanen (2006) accorded a national IQ of 69 to Nigeria on the basis of three samples (Fahrmeier, 1975; Ferron, 1965; Wober, 1969)

Yes, I am saying it's a steaming pile of white supremacist crap.

It is white supremacist to suggest that nutrition affects IQ and using evidence in differences in IQ between African-Americans & Subsaharan-Africans, or North Koreans and South Koreans to help justify this claim?

Is WestCoastRunner a White Supremacist too for also suggesting that nutrition affects cognitive ability?

No that's just not true. Statistics show 1 parent families have a much higher poverty rate. You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

Of course they have a higher poverty rate. I'm not arguing that point with you but believe it or not 2 parent families can also live in poverty.

Let's focus on addressing the children who are living in poverty by giving them a good start in life equal to advantaged children.

Of course they have a higher poverty rate. I'm not arguing that point with you but believe it or not 2 parent families can also live in poverty.

Let's focus on addressing the children who are living in poverty by giving them a good start in life equal to advantaged children.

This is why we vote for competent politicians and economists to figure this out for us. Seriously, you want me to come up with a federal budget?

First, education is a provincial matter. Second, you are misusing the word "competent" because what you really mean is "politicians that will do what I want" (e.g. you would likely call politician "incompetent" if they decided that other programs have a higher priority). Third, given that you are more or less expecting politicians to do your bidding on this matter the onus is on you to explain what programs are less important than this and should be cut.

People who demand programs when they have absolutely no idea how to pay for them have absolutely nothing useful to contribute to the political discussion. They are simply too many ways for governments to spend money and any political discussion needs to be about priorities - not new ways to spend money.

Edited by TimG

Cutting out corporate welfare, F-35's and ditching our stupid allies half-way around the world works for me.

And why should the savings be spent on this particular program? Seems to me that reducing waiting lists is an area that would consume all available funding. Why is this issue more important that ensuring people have timely access to care? Or are you arguing that we should increase waiting lists in hospitals to pay for this program? Edited by TimG

Because the things I suggested cutting are direct causes of poverty, especially the 1st one. Money makes everything easier - poverty makes everything harder, that's why this issue is more important.

I think we should be dealing with hospital waiting lists by sending patients to other countries....I'm quite certain we can negotiate and deal with the malpractice insurance issues you've mentioned in the other thread on this topic.

Edited by eyeball

An enriched environment for children will lead to an increase in brain size. Hence the need for proper nutrition and stimulating activities.

That's a complete guess on your part. You have a link for that? It doesn't say so in the article. They only started to have untested theories, guesses really, on the gap in brain size. From nutrition and access to healthcare, to stress from chaotic environment in lower income households, to genetically inherited differences (higher incomes = smarter parents = larger brains).

That's a complete guess on your part. You have a link for that? It doesn't say so in the article. They only started to have untested theories, guesses really, on the gap in brain size. From nutrition and access to healthcare, to stress from chaotic environment in lower income households, to genetically inherited differences (higher incomes = smarter parents = larger brains).

There are plenty of studies on how early childhood education can and will improve brain development:

Intervention Can Help Kids Who Are at Risk

"Through the University of North Carolina’s "Abecedarian Project," Craig Ramey and his colleagues demonstrated that

intensive early intervention could greatly enhance the development of children whose mothers have low income and

education levels. The children in the project were randomly assigned to receive either an intensive 5-year program of

full-day, full-year child care and parent involvement activities beginning in the first few months after the child’s birth, or

to receive only free formula and diapers. After just 3 years, dramatic results were evident: the program children had an

average IQ score of 105, while the control group children averaged only 85. And unlike many programs which began

intervention at age 4, the effects of the program on IQ held over time. The program children were less likely to repeat a

grade in school and demonstrated better achievement in reading and mathematics throughout elementary and high

school. At age 21, the children who participated in the 5-year program still displayed a significant intellectual advantage

over the control children. Clearly this intensive, early intervention had a long-lasting impact on these children’s lives."

This is an excellent slide presentation on the formation of children's brains (it notes that the most critical time for development of the brain is up to 5 years of age):

"Genes and environment interact throughout brain development

Genes form neurons, connections among major brain regions

Environment and experience refines the connections; enhancing some connections while eliminating others"

I think we should be dealing with hospital waiting lists by sending patients to other countries....I'm quite certain we can negotiate and deal with the malpractice insurance issues you've mentioned in the other thread on this topic.

So you are saying we should start laying off hospital workers start outsourcing health services? Or are you arguing that there is something special about the current staffing levels and we should over pay for the current staffing levels and only outsource when we need additional capacity?

I'm saying I'm not going to automatically throw up a bunch of impediments to reducing impoverishment among children and that doing so should take precedence over corporate welfare, F-35's, picking fights with our stupid allies and even hospital waiting lists come to think of it.

I'm saying I'm not going to automatically throw up a bunch of impediments to reducing impoverishment among children and that doing so should take precedence over corporate welfare, F-35's, picking fights with our stupid allies and even hospital waiting lists come to think of it.

Ok, great. You are saying that spending money on this program is more important than spending money on reducing healthcare waiting lists. That is all I was looking for: an understanding that priorities need to be set and any new program must come at the expense of existing programs. That said, I am not sure you would find a lot of support for your priorities.

Ok, great. You are saying that spending money on this program is more important than spending money on reducing healthcare waiting lists.

Yes, but I think it's safe to say that Canadians will decide to cut the first three things I mentioned before healthcare.

It's not even a new program really because reducing impoverishment amongst children IS healthcare spending that will in all likelihood help reduce hospital waiting lists by encouraging a healthier population. We'll simply be expanding an existing program.

Edited by eyeball

Because the things I suggested cutting are direct causes of poverty, especially the 1st one. Money makes everything easier - poverty makes everything harder, that's why this issue is more important.

There's no such thing as corporate welfare. Businesses that keep more of their own money isn't welfare. And they do so only by following certain requests by the government. The biggest impediment to getting out of poverty is education and the availability of jobs. Your "remedies" would lead to less jobs and less economic growth, leading to more "help" required by the government and a vicious cycle created. Focus your "help" some place else please.