Suspects Shot Dead At $10K Muhammad Cartoon Contest

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's exactly what his ilk doesn't do. His ilk, and I include myself in that group, take enormous pains to show that we are talking only about those Muslims who deserve to be described as insane nutcases, and most absolutely not all Muslims. The group is large, because to my mind it includes those Muslims who support punishment for adultery, blasphemy and apostasy as well as those who would actually go so far as to kill someone themselves. It includes those who support FGM and the subjugation of women by denying them education and choice over how to dress and who to marry. (it recognises that religious and cultural practices sometimes coincide)

It includes the people who did this, and those who think it was okay to do it:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32701001

Your "ilk" like to say that the minority of Muslims who belong to the group I have described above is so small as to render their description using their religion somehow incorrect, and driven by something other than disgust at their actions and beliefs. I suppose you do this because you don't want to admit disgust at their actions and beliefs yourselves. I don't know.

What I'm pretty sure of is that the number of people who would become incensed enough to kill someone are vastly outnumbered by those who would go out of their way to incense them. You should be careful about what you wish for, as well as pay any extra costs associated with public safety when your wishes come true. Edited by eyeball

What I'm pretty sure of is that the number of people who would become incensed enough to kill someone are vastly outnumbered by those who would go out of their way to incense them. You should be careful about what you wish for, as well as pay any extra costs associated with public safety when your wishes come true.

I would argue that. Did the blogger in my post "go out of his way to incense"? Did the original Danish cartoonists, or the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists? Do adulters, blasphemers and those who reject God do so just to piss off Muslims? I would argue not. In fact, the Texas show is the first example I've heard of since the aborted (Facebook?) project in the Pacific Northwest some years ago. And even then, both those examples could be construed more as a response to a threat than an attempt to incense.

As to the wishes and costs, I haven't noticed any change yet. I'll reassess my views when I do.

Did the blogger in my post "go out of his way to incense"? Did the original Danish cartoonists, or the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists? Do adulters, blasphemers and those who reject God do so just to piss off Muslims? I would argue not.

That's the problem with the argument that one should not "incense."

Those who take Leviticus seriously would be incensed by me eating bacon or shell fish.

We are all offended by something at sometime.

So what. BFD.

It does not mean we should act like savages and punch out people or murder them for doing something that we can and should turn a blind eye to and ignore (assuming we had such self control, of course.)

We are all offended by something at sometime.

So what. BFD.

It does not mean we should act like savages and punch out people or murder them for doing something that we can and should turn a blind eye to and ignore (assuming we had such self control, of course.)

Speaking about acting like savages, are you aware of the numbers of Iraqis and afghans killed by the illegal invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan?

What about this? Do you consider this to be savagery?

"I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your (USA) government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children."

--John Stockwell

If someone attempted this type of base humour right after 911, using those victims as the butt of a cruel joke, how many barrels do you think they would have received? Verbal barrels of course.

None. Americans are a civilized people and their country is ruled by law. They don't turn into murderous rages because of Monty Python skits.

Edited by Argus

But you never wonder about what Nicaraguans or Vietnamese or Koreans or Filipinos did to incense the USA so badly that they slaughtered millions.

Well, I'd definitely be against the whole peeling the skin off his face thing.

None. Americans are a civilized people and their country is ruled by law. They don't turn into murderous rages because of Monty Python skits.

So slashing off a woman's breasts is, according to your moral dictates, a good example of USA rule of law. And peeling the skin off the face of a father in front of their children, or doing the same to the children also qualifies as USA rule of law.

Is that just you or are your parents responsible for that?

And you ignored this;

But you never wonder about what Nicaraguans or Vietnamese or Koreans or Filipinos did to incense the USA so badly that they slaughtered millions.

Yes. Because I agreed with you.

So slashing off a woman's breasts is, according to your moral dictates, a good example of USA rule of law. And peeling the skin off the face of a father in front of their children, or doing the same to the children also qualifies as USA rule of law.

No, that's a description of how third world types make war.

No, that's a description of how third world types make war.

No, Argus, those are Ronald Reagan's beloved Contras, the equivalent of the Founding Fathers according to Reagan. And Reagan was right, those founding fathers were pretty much as vicious and brutal as the Contras.

Nice bunch you hang around with.

Then one has to wonder why you get your panties in a wad about these relatively small events.

I'm sorry, I was joking. I meant I agreed with you about how I never wonder. But then I felt bad about the whole thing.

The joking, I mean.

I don't think it's such a small event to those who were shot. Maybe it's all just part of the Supreme Islamophobic Myth. Maybe they aren't dead at all.

I'm sorry, I was joking. I meant I agreed with you about how I never wonder. But then I felt bad about the whole thing.

The joking, I mean.

I don't think it's such a small event to those who were shot. Maybe it's all just part of the Supreme Islamophobic Myth. Maybe they aren't dead at all.

I don't think that it's a small event to those that were shot, or their families, either. I just wonder how you can ignore the slaughter of millions by the USA.

If you want to discuss something you disagree with, address it directly and honestly. Don't just snipe from widely dispersed posts.

....I like many Americans myself. But we're not talking about individual Americans. You can like Americans, just as you could have liked many Germans. But a decent human being shouldn't let that cloud their vision to avoid the massive war crimes and the unrelenting terrorism that has marked the USA since before it formed.

I don't think anyone's "vision" is clouded...Canada and Canadians have closely aligned themselves with the evil USA more and more...despite "massive war crimes". It is a false assumption to conclude they would do otherwise given economic and geo-political interests. The entire moral premise is....without merit.

I don't think that it's a small event to those that were shot, or their families, either. I just wonder how you can ignore the slaughter of millions by the USA.

If you want to discuss something you disagree with, address it directly and honestly. Don't just snipe from widely dispersed posts.

This is pretty darn funny.

because that is an overt lie

I wish I could agree with you, Poochy. That would then mean that these millions of people wouldn't have died at the hands of the USA. That hundreds of millions of people wouldn't have spent a century of lifetimes grieving for their murdered kin, wouldn't now be grieving, as they are doing in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Chile, Bolivia, Vietnam, Korea, and the numerous other countries where Uncle Sam has butchered innocents.

Meet John Stockwell, one of the limited number of CIA higher ups who simply could not stand the lies, the senseless slaughter, the duplicity of successive USA governments.

"John Stockwell is the highest-ranking CIA official ever to leave the agency and go public. He ran a CIA intelligence-gathering post in Vietnam, was the task-force commander of the CIA's secret war in Angola in 1975 and 1976, and was awarded the Medal of Merit before he resigned. Stockwell's book In Search of Enemies, published by W.W. Norton 1978, is an international best-seller."

Here's but a small portion of his story. You can read it all and more at,

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stockwell/StockwellCIA87_1.html

I also was able to meet the players, the people who write, the people who have done studies, people who are leading different situations. I went to Nicaragua a total of 7 times. This was a major covert action. It lasted longer and evolved to be bigger than what we did in Angola. It gave me a chance, after running something from Washington, to go to a country that was under attack, to talk to the leadership, to talk to the people, to look and see what happens when you give white phosporous or grenades or bombs or bullets to people, and they go inside a country, to go and talk to the people, who have been shot, or hit, or blown up....

We're talking about 10 to 20 thousand covert actions [the CIA has performed since 1961]. What I found was that lots and lots of people have been killed in these things.... Some of them are very, very bloody.

The Indonesian covert action of 1965, reported by Ralph McGehee, who was in that area division, and had documents on his desk, in his custody about that operation. He said that one of the documents concluded that this was a model operation that should be copied elsewhere in the world. Not only did it eliminate the effective communist party (Indonesian communist party), it also eliminated the entire segment of the population that tended to support the communist party - the ethnic Chinese, Indonesian Chinese. And the CIA's report put the number of dead at 800,000 killed. And that was one covert action. We're talking about 1 to 3 million people killed in these things.

Two of these things have led us directly into bloody wars. There was a covert action against China, destabilizing China, for many, many years, with a propaganda campaign to work up a mood, a feeling in this country, of the evils of communist China, and attacking them, as we're doing in Nicaragua today, with an army that was being launched against them to parachute in and boat in and destabilize the country. And this led us directly into the Korean war.

U.S. intelligence officers worked over Vietnam for a total of 25 years, with greater and greater involvement, massive propaganda, deceiving the American people about what was happening. Panicking people in Vietnam to create migrations to the south so they could photograph it and show how people were fleeing communism. And on and on, until they got us into the Vietnam war, and 2,000,000 people were killed.

There is a mood, a sentiment in Washington, by our leadership today, for the past 4 years, that a good communist is a dead communist. If you're killing 1 to 3 million communists, that's great. President Reagan has gone public and said he would reduce the Soviet Union to a pile of ashes. The problem, though, is that these people killed by our national security activities are not communists. They're not Russians, they're not KGB. In the field we used to play chess with the KGB officers, and have drinks with them. It was like professional football players - we would knock heads on Sunday, maybe in an operation, and then Tuesday you're at a banquet together drinking toasts and talking.

The people that are dying in these things are people of the third world. That's the common denominator that you come up with. People of the third world. People that have the misfortune of being born in the Metumba mountains of the Congo, in the jungles of Southeast Asia, and now in the hills of northern Nicaragua. Far more Catholics than communists, far more Buddhists than communists. Most of them couldn't give you an intelligent definition of communism, or of capitalism.

Edited by Je suis Omar