Slow Clap BC. The Left Lane is for PASSING!

That's not so, current (and near term) UAVs very much so have human input (Predators and Global Hawks for example have flight/control crews of 4-6+), likewise earlier aerial drones (or guided missiles for example) having human input prior to mission tasking......That is not to say they won't one day, but not anytime soon....

Not talking about drones. Some have claimed that unmanned fighter aircraft are just around the corner. Predators and Global Hawks are not capable of aerial combat, only surveillance and weapons delivery. Self drive cars are well within the limits of todays techology, they operate in only two dimensions and on established infrastructure but it will take some time to perfect the software and regulations.

I would add that enough manufacturers are actively working on autonomous vehicles and making real headway, makes this a done deal, and probably sooner than many of us think.

Edited by Wilber

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not talking about drones. Some have claimed that unmanned fighter aircraft are just around the corner. Predators and Global Hawks are not capable of aerial combat, only surveillance and weapons delivery. Self drive cars are well within the limits of todays techology, they operate in only two dimensions and on established infrastructure but it will take some time to perfect the software and regulations.

I would add that enough manufacturers are actively working on autonomous vehicles and making real headway, makes this a done deal, and probably sooner than many of us think.

Perhaps technology (demonstrators), but not real world feasibility......for ~$140k, my wife's P85 can park itself (most of the time) and warn/assist with cornering, lane changes and emergency braking......more so a progression of cruise control then:

Knightlogo.png

I would imagine a present day KITT would cost more than a house in the British Properties.........

Not talking about drones. Some have claimed that unmanned fighter aircraft are just around the corner. Predators and Global Hawks are not capable of aerial combat, only surveillance and weapons delivery....

Even for the surveillance mission, unmanned platforms have yet to meet or exceed some manned platform capabilities. That is why the USAF still flies the Lockheed U-2 "Dragon Lady".

Right, but if your PC has a fault, it doesn't have the potential to kill a family driving on the Trans-Canada.....

But even with the risks associated with that, you are far more likely to kill a family driving on the Trnas-Canada then any machine, even after system failures are added into the equation. It's a liability to society to have humans driving, when machines are far more superior at it. Aircraft are a different story.

I know people who feel fortunate to put in 50 - 60 hours a week and some who've even taken an hourly pay cut to do so. The need for more money in working people's hands has never been greater.

While I myself work 50 hours a week, more because I want to not because I have to, the world is working on average 40 hours a week. That need for more money will have to decrease as people work less or we will see a catastrophic capitalist system where the rich are hoarding far to much, more than they can ever hope to spend. I don't think any government will let it get to that point, at least I hope they wouldn't. With the way conservatives honeysuckle on corporations that's the way things may continue to go, all the more reason to elect leftist governments.

But even with the risks associated with that, you are far more likely to kill a family driving on the Trnas-Canada then any machine, even after system failures are added into the equation. It's a liability to society to have humans driving, when machines are far more superior at it. Aircraft are a different story.

There is no evidence to suggest machines are far more superior driving, currently or in the near future, then humans.......thats not to say technology doesn't have a place in aiding in safety, but fully self-driving cars are currently sci-fi.......

Even for the surveillance mission, unmanned platforms have yet to meet or exceed some manned platform capabilities. That is why the USAF still flies the Lockheed U-2 "Dragon Lady".

Indeed, and even with current technology, UAVs are heavily regulated (for safety) in the airspace in which it can operate..........

What extra money? Every indicator out there is demonstrating the opposite of what you're hoping for. I haven't had a wage increase in 8 years, in fact I took a pay cut despite further training to increase my skill-sets. So far my job can't be replaced with a machine but I can be replaced by someone willing to work for less and that should explain why I'm looking for another employer at the moment.

I think the changes in morality surrounding mass unemployment will need to happen in a time frame that is far far shorter and sooner than you're suggesting and further to that they'll need to be made yesterday and almost entirely at the top of the economic food chain.

The fact of the matter is when corporations no longer have to rely on people to do their work, there will be more money to go around. Whether they choose to supply upper management with that money or their workers is up to them but I'm sure governments will pass laws that will not allow that to happen, it's he only way to keep civil order. It will be a slow change though so governments and corporations will have plenty of time to react.

There is no evidence to suggest machines are far more superior driving, currently or in the near future, then humans.......thats not to say technology doesn't have a place in aiding in safety, but fully self-driving cars are currently sci-fi.......

There is every reason to think so. Automation has made flying much safer and given aircraft much more capability. No Category 2 or 3 approaches without it. There is no reason to expect different with vehicles.

Not sci -fi they are being developed as we speak.

Actually there's thousands of hours of driving recording by google's autonomous vehicles that prove otherwise. Audi also have many hours of driving logged, that proves autonomous vehicles can drive in a safer manner than humans can. I'm sorry but as much as you'd hate to admit it, your time behind the wheel is numbered, so long as you make it until the first affordable autonomous vehicles hit the market.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/520746/data-shows-googles-robot-cars-are-smoother-safer-drivers-than-you-or-i/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101981455

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11350524/Driverless-cars-may-never-be-safer-than-a-human.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/28/google-driverless-cars-safer-than-human-drivers/

http://www.driverless-future.com/

http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/google-driverless-cars-safer-than-you/

There is every reason to think so. Automation has made flying much safer and given aircraft much more capability. No Category 2 or 3 approaches without it. There is no reason to expect different with vehicles.

Not sci -fi they are being developed as we speak.

But said automation still requires human input..........aide in safety? Sure....as a replacement, not likely anytime soon.

Actually there's thousands of hours of driving recording by google's autonomous vehicles that prove otherwise. Audi also have many hours of driving logged, that proves autonomous vehicles can drive in a safer manner than humans can. I'm sorry but as much as you'd hate to admit it, your time behind the wheel is numbered, so long as you make it until the first affordable autonomous vehicles hit the market.

We were promised hovercrafts and flying cars (like the Jetsons) decades ago........I'm still waiting.

Not anytime soon, in fact, the USAF put in storage a portion of the Global Hawk fleet......

They were put in storage in 2013. In March 2014 it was announced they would be replacing the U2. Unless you can come up with something that says the plan has changed again.

Edited by Wilber

Not anytime soon, in fact, the USAF put in storage a portion of the Global Hawk fleet......

Right...the U-2 is still a better intel platform and costs less to operate per hour. It has better sensors, higher ceiling, and all weather capability.

The RQ-180 black program seeks to close this gap.

In the House Armed Services Committee's markup of the FY 2015 budget, language was included prohibiting the use of funds to retire or store the U-2; it also requested a report outlining the transition capabilities from the U-2 to the RQ-4 Block 30 in light of capability gap concerns.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

We were promised hovercrafts and flying cars (like the Jetsons) decades ago........I'm still waiting.

You were promised nothing. The reality is this is what will happen as much as the cold-dead-hands generations drags their heels on it or not. The older you get, the more of a liability you are behind the wheel.

In the case of the lowest visibility landings, it isn't an aide it's essential. We'll just have to dissagree on that.

I don't argue the point that it aides in safety, I spent several months last year in the Western Arctic and can attest to it.......but said technology doesn't, currently, replace human input.

You were promised nothing. The reality is this is what will happen as much as the cold-dead-hands generations drags their heels on it or not. The older you get, the more of a liability you are behind the wheel.

Will my Jetson's hovercraft be self-driving too? Still waiting for my Sky Commuter:

sky.65c5_12.jpg

Will my Jetson's hovercraft be self-driving too? Still waiting for my Sky Commuter:

Your sky commuter will most likely never come in your life time. Autonomous driving might, not sure exactly how old you are. We have self-driving cars with thousand of hours logged, it's just a matter of making them affordable for the average family, that is what will take the most times as auto corporations tend to drag their heels on these sorts of things.