• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what? Neither are niqabs according to Muslim scholars. And even if you accept the premise that niqabs have religious (as opposed to cultural) significance then why should "religious" garb get special treatment?

Because religious expression is specifically mentioned in the constitution as something the government can infringe on only in narrow circumstances. Same reason a Sikh can wear a kurpal to school but an atheist cant carry an axe.

The only person who does not have a clue is you who seems to think that you have the exclusive right to determine what is acceptable or not based on your personal prejudices.

No Im exactly the guy whos NOT doing this. I dont care what people where at the ceremony... the new citizens are already screened and accepted at that point, and the ceremony is just symbolic pap. I could care less if someone wore a Nazi uniform, or for that matter if they took the pledge naked with traffic cone stuffed up their ass.

Im just pointing out your tenuous grasp of the logic in play, and your lack of understanding as far as what the real issues in play are.

Canadians had no say in the constitution. It was put in place by the Liberal party and variously interpreted and re-interpreted over the years by mostly Liberal judges.

Specious argument at best.

It was put into place by the federal government and every single provincial government in the country except for Quebec. If you want to claim canadians have no say in it, then Canadians have no say in ANYTHING. We dont have direct democracy here... we vote politicians to make decisions.

And the hilarious thing here is that you are all bent out of shape because the courts are blocking legislation by a government that only got thirty something percent of the vote... then whining about people not having a say. A large majority of Canadians dont want this government, yet you seem to think they should be able to do anything they want with no checks and balances.

No Im exactly the guy whos NOT doing this. I dont care what people where at the ceremony... the new citizens are already screened and accepted at that point, and the ceremony is just symbolic pap. I could care less if someone wore a Nazi uniform, or for that matter if they took the pledge naked with traffic cone stuffed up their ass.

You're missing much of the point. Maybe you wouldn't care if some idiot wore a Nazi uniform to the ceremony, but would you want the government to be allowing avowed Nazis to immigrate to Canada in the first place?

You're missing much of the point. Maybe you wouldn't care if some idiot wore a Nazi uniform to the ceremony, but would you want the government to be allowing avowed Nazis to immigrate to Canada in the first place?

How on earth would such people get past the months and years of screening it takes an immigrant to go thru before even making it to the stupid ceremony in the first place?

How on earth would such people get past the months and years of screening it takes an immigrant to go thru before even making it to the stupid ceremony in the first place?

It seems a little bigotry can go a long way toward ignoring such realities. You would almost think people were getting off a boat as we speak and being automatically waved through the process.

Edited by On Guard for Thee

Irrelevant to topic.

Nazi is not a religion.

Are you suggesting Muslims shouldn't be admitted to Canada?

IE, that Canada should discriminate against immigrant applicants based on their religion?

Is that the point you are trying to make?

Edited by jacee

Dunno, but if one has standards which says allowing in Nazis would be a bad idea why would those standards not also say allowing in extremist Muslims is a bad thing? Kim Campbell is quoted in today's post worrying about the number of newcomers who don't share our values, particularly with regard to womens equality.

In directly commenting on the niquab she said “In an open society, people are seen.".

In a recent New York Times piece on British jihadists Mary Anne Weaver commented about the enormous number of British Muslims who embrace violent extremism. On CNBC this morning she said they were mostly educated young people, and not immigrants at all but second and third generation British. They felt they were members of the Ummah, the world community of Islam, not British, due to poor integration. She spoke of walking around an area in south London which is home to, among other things, the UK's largest mosque. She walked through alleys and past shops, up and down streets and never saw a female face. Not one. Every woman was wearing the full burqua or at least the Niqab.

Britain under the Labur Party had a history of embracing multiculturalism and assuring newcomers there was no need to change their culture or to embrace British values, that they ought to rejoice in their ethnic heritage and history, and that this would be absolutely respected. That respect was enforced by law, in fact. This is the result. A society of foreigners who despise those they live among.

Edited by Argus

Irrelevant to topic.

Nazi is not a religion.

On the contrary, Nazism is a political ideology. So is Islam in that Islam, in addition to speaking about God, includes a whole legal code and a series of requirements for how government must operate. People who are Nazis have a series of fairly predictable social and political beliefs. So do people who are Muslims, especially if they're fundamentalist Muslims of the type who insist on covering up womens faces so as to not tempt men.

Are you suggesting Muslims shouldn't be admitted to Canada?

IE, that Canada should discriminate against immigrant applicants based on their religion?

I am suggesting that our immigration system has only one purpose, that being the selection of the very best immigrants we can find. The best would be those who are most able to produce the highest economic benefit to Canada, and whose values are most akin to our own. By both standards Muslims fail rather badly. They are at the bottom of the economic pie insofar as their economic success goes, and their social values are centuries behind ours, and often violently at odds with ours.

Edited by Argus

If muslims want to live under a different set of codes, the don't even try coming here and I would be all for curbing immigration from their countries. Or should we just open it up and rename the country the immigrant Inn.

Its you thats missing the point. This is about attire at the ceremony. It has nothing at all to do with who gets accepted... the applicants have already been screened and approved at that point. Try to follow along...

Let me make a couple of minor changes to PIK's latest post; "If Jews want to live under a different set of codes, the don't even try coming here and I would be all for curbing immigration from their countries."

I think I have read something similar to that in the past under a different government. ;)

I guess Kim Campbell is also just a stupid bigot.

“I’m always very concerned about cultural practices which suggest that women bear responsibility for the sexual behaviour of men,” she said, referring to coverup garments like the burka.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-gender-equality-under-threat-from-society-of-immigration-former-pm-kim-campbell

Thank goodness there are learned people on this forum who cast aside the nuances in an argument that they either don't understand or that are simply incompatible with their broken ideology, someone has to yell bigot.

Let me make a couple of minor changes to PIK's latest post; "If Jews want to live under a different set of codes, the don't even try coming here and I would be all for curbing immigration from their countries."

I think I have read something similar to that in the past under a different government. ;)

O yay! Lets talk about all of the other religions or cultural practices that no one has a problem with! Wait, are you a anti Jewish bigot? You singled them out and no one was even talking about them....hmmm, yep, diagnosis, bigot. Btw, do Jews cover themselves head to toe? I don't think so, so not only are you a bigot, your argument was irrelevant, well at least you tried, maybe you will do better next time. bigot bigot bigot! Wow, it's really easy to just yell that word over and over, it makes for such an intelligent argument, what a great debating tactic.

One more thing, I think it's great that you are allowed to compare forum members to Hitler, that also speaks very highly of the forum in general, very highly.

Edited by poochy

O yay! Lets talk about all of the other religions or cultural practices that no one has a problem with!

Oh so now we poick and choose which religions are good and bad?

Wait, are you a anti Jewish bigot? You singled them out and no one was even talking about them....hmmm, yep, diagnosis, bigot.

Wow, did you ever miss the point of the comparison. LOL.

Btw, do Jews cover themselves head to toe?

Neither do Muslims. Talk about irrelevant. Maybe next time stop and think?....naw.,...

I don't think so, so not only are you a bigot, your argument was irrelevant, well at least you tried, maybe you will do better next time. bigot bigot bigot! Wow, it's really easy to just yell that word over and over, it makes for such an intelligent argument, what a great debating tactic.

Dont know about bigot, but this post clearly is marked silly and moronic.

Maybe next time you wont miss the point and look oh so foolish.