No Military Action - Ever! Another Trudeau Gaffe?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why is that sector failing as well?

Its not (as said already, only those industries related to oil and gas), Canadian manufacturing overall has been growing for over two years based on US growth.......a weakened Canadian dollar is good for Canadian manufacturing, likewise all other exports.

Does Real Estate and manufacturing not make up a greater percent of our GDP?

They are without a doubt some of the larger portions of the GDP. But I still don't think you understand that the MFG sector as a whole was in decline in November and the real estate market could stand to take a hit as well. Because of the dollar, because of oil prices.

They are without a doubt some of the larger portions of the GDP. But I still don't think you understand that the MFG sector as a whole was in decline in November and the real estate market could stand to take a hit as well. Because of the dollar, because of oil prices.

Ahhhh no, the MFG decline is attributed to industries related to oil, hence a decline of 1.9% in November..... With real estate, a lower Canadian dollar ripens foreign investment in the larger Canadian cities that make-up the majority of the Canadian market.........

A lower Canadian dollar is good for MFG and real estate..........

Related to industries that produce products for the oil sector..........

Your half right. The manufacturing industry is in a decline because of oil industry related manufacturing. That is the manufacturing sector as a whole is in decline, for the month of November.

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/1/30/Canadas-economy-slumps-in-November-as-factories-energy-sector-hit.aspx

Canada’s economy contracted in November, as the expected weakness in the energy sector was compounded by a slump in manufacturing output.

Statistics Canada reported that gross domestic product shrunk by a seasonally adjusted 0.2 per cent in the month, the weakest performance in nearly a year.

But the pause in manufacturing was more severe than previously released monthly statistical data from the sector had implied. Output from the country’s factories slowed by 1.9 per cent in the month, wiping out the healthy gains posted in September and October, led by declines in machinery and metals.

Edited by PrimeNumber

Your half right. The manufacturing industry is in a decline because of oil industry related manufacturing. That is the manufacturing sector as a whole is in decline, for the month of November.

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/1/30/Canadas-economy-slumps-in-November-as-factories-energy-sector-hit.aspx

Did you read the entire link?

While economists expect the oil slump’s impact on the Canadian economy to deepen in the coming months, most believe November’s stumble in the manufacturing sector was a temporary blip. The sector is widely expected to benefit from the downturn in oil, as cheaper energy prices help boost demand for Canadian goods in the United States (the world’s biggest energy consumer), as well as driving down the Canadian dollar to give non-energy exporters a competitive advantage. Cheaper fuel also lowers costs for manufacturers.

But hey, thanks for confirming my point........

I never argued against it possibly rebounding. I argued that in November 2014 the entire manufacturing sector had a decline. The link confirmed it. You have been proven wrong.

Yet here you state:

oil does have a direct effect on the Canadian dollar and in turn the entire economy, not just 8%?

Which you've been proven wrong........and no, I never stated industries related to the O&G sectors wouldn't see a reduction.........as confirmed in the linked articles:

Manufacturing declined by 1.9% in November, with losses ranging from machinery and equipment to plastics and rubber.

Domestic industries that heavily supply the oil and gas industries......and as stated in the article you quoted (likewise OGFT) the MFG industry has seen growth as a weighted average over the last several years, and is expected to receive further growth with the devalued Cdn dollar.....likewise growth in the real estate and tourism/entertainment sectors......

The sky is hardly falling as you suggest :lol:

Yet here you state:

oil does have a direct effect on the Canadian dollar and in turn the entire economy, not just 8%?

I never stated anything in that sentence, that is a question. Notice the question mark at the end of the sentence?

Which you've been proven wrong........and no, I never stated industries related to the O&G sectors wouldn't see a reduction.........as confirmed in the linked articles:

No, I haven't. You have, again. You have an extremely hard time admitting you're wrong don't you?

the MFG industry has seen growth as a weighted average over the last several years

I never said anything about the last several years, when the price of oil and Canadian dollar were higher. I said November, 2014.

and is expected to receive further growth with the devalued Cdn dollar.

We'll see.

Edited by PrimeNumber

No, I haven't. You have, again. You have an extremely hard time admitting you're wrong don't you?

Why would I admit I was wrong if I wasn't? The only thing I said wrong was that the MFG sector has been growing for several years, but as confirmed by the article, the sector has seen weighted growth since 2009......far longer then even I expected.

I never said anything about the last several years, when the price of oil and Canadian dollar were higher. I said November, 2014.

So you're getting hysterical over a one month, 1.9% reduction, which is counter to trending over the last ~5 years, likewise expected growth within the sector due to the devalued Cdn dollar........as your link stated, nothing more than a "blip", or as stated, a reflection of the slowing O&G industry......

We'll see.

You can see all you like, that is how the Canadian economy works as historic and will work into the future.........

Likewise, the cited worldwide one million barrel surplus (~1.40% supply/demand) in oil will be reduced and the price will rebound.....Slowed Canadian production has already reduced said surplus by 10% alone, likewise a 1/10th of 1% annual usage increase, totaling ~500k bbl, will be realized in North America with "summer driving season".......that in itself cuts the surplus of oil in half.......which of course doesn't take into account further slowed North American production, (eventual) slowed OPEC production and/or increased usage worldwide........

That is why, in my educated opinion, oil will rebound to ~$80-90 per bbl by this Summer......and is why people that actually understand oil futures are buying now and the per barrel price has actually increased this week........people that don't understand the oil and gas sector either cry the sky is falling and stay poor or (like the majority) enjoy the reduced expense of filling their cars and spend the savings elsewhere in the economy.......

I'll make one more prediction though, by the April release of the budget, oil will be somewhere between $50-60 per bbl........ ;)

Why would I admit I was wrong if I wasn't?

See, you can't admit you're wrong.

So you're getting hysterical over a one month, 1.9% reduction, which is counter to trending over the last ~5 years, likewise expected growth within the sector due to the devalued Cdn dollar........as your link stated, nothing more than a "blip", or as stated, a reflection of the slowing O&G industry......

Doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.

I'll make one more prediction though, by the April release of the budget, oil will be somewhere between $50-60 per bbl........

I'll hold you to that. Only to see if you're wrong and if you'll admit it.

I'm surprised anyone in the country even thinks there is any probability of success in any combat mission in the middle east, given the track records of everyone else who has tried and failed. The middle east is like the Hydra. Chop off one head and two more pop up. It's insane to just keep throwing money and bodies at a conflict with such little chance of success.

Despite the fact we have a lot of police officers in Canada,there are still crimes being committed all over the country.By your logic,should we stop "throwing money and bodies" into policing?

We may not be able to defeat ISIS but how about at least trying to contain it?

Trudeau should not be taking advice from any mosque.

Despite the fact we have a lot of police officers in Canada,there are still crimes being committed all over the country.By your logic,should we stop "throwing money and bodies" into policing?

We may not be able to defeat ISIS but how about at least trying to contain it?

Trudeau should not be taking advice from any mosque.

That's a terrible comparison. The crimes committed are in this country. By your logic our police should fly to Colorado and arrest people for Marijuana possession?

This is what people don't seem to understand there are more than 30+ organizations that operate in Iraq that have many of the same views as ISIS. You won't beat them. These people have to change for themselves, shoving our views down their throat only radicalizes more people. Are you comfortable putting Canadians lives at risk for a lost cause?

You contain ISIS now and as soon as the coalition of forces leave there will be someone else that rises up. Waste of money. Revolutions have to happen on their own.

Edited by PrimeNumber

So are you saying that intelligence is measured by the size of your bank accounts?

On economic matters certainly, granted, there are those that might understand the process but are unable to invest……but discussing the actual mechanics behind commodities investing, one could argue it’s a results based topic………Would you trust your investment portfolio with someone that claims the sky is falling and the end is nigh?

Exactly, as Fisher suggested, the British SAS and Americans SEALs, Green Berets and Delta Force (likewise the Australian SAS) have been there for months.........Canadian special forces aren't the only ones locating and targeting ISIS forces on the ground....

I found his statement about the 'broad national consensus' relevant, as well. I think the great majority of Canadians share that consensus on this issue. However, the NDP seem stuck in 1960s ant-war rhetoric. The Liberals, on the other hand, are simply venal opportunists who never lose a chance to score political points from the left at the expense of the military or its missions. The whole nonsense about the EH101 contract was done for political purposes, and cost this country hundreds of millions of dollars. They're doing the same thing with the F-35. They did the same thing with that ridiculous prisoner thing in Afghanistan. Any time they can smear the government with something the military has done they'll jump at the chance, regardless of the damage to the military or this country's safety and security. I remember Pierre Trudeau making great hay back in the early 80s by demanding Canada take a firmer stand against Iran, by calling the tory government weak and spineless and demanding it condemn the Iranians more. This, even though he knew, as a member of the privy council, that Canada was then sheltering member of the US embassy and working with the Americans and others to get them out of the country. In terms of the military and security issues the Liberals quite literally have no moral or ethical values whatsoever.

I found his statement about the 'broad national consensus' relevant, as well. I think the great majority of Canadians share that consensus on this issue. However, the NDP seem stuck in 1960s ant-war rhetoric. The Liberals, on the other hand, are simply venal opportunists who never lose a chance to score political points from the left at the expense of the military or its missions.

This is very true, you’ll find the Governments of the United States, United Kingdom and Australia are able to reach a far broader consensus with National Defense topics…..that’s not to say partisan politics doesn’t rear its head, but far less then what is seen in Canada.

Case in point the F-35, which has had consensus amongst the various Governments (Republicans/Democrats, Labour/Tories and Liberals/Labour/Liberals) that have been in power in those nations…….versus the LPC that supported it before they opposed it when they were out of power, and now, despite it actually about to enter squadron service (and the list of future operators growing), the Liberals have painted themselves into a corner of their own making (like they did with the EH-101)…………The end result, the Canadian Forces suffer and the taxpayer doesn’t save any money in the long run……….

And here we are today with the current operation in Iraq and the Government’s transparency ………stark difference between the Chrétien Government’s covering up of the actions of Canadian Forces in Medak…..