Beer Can Boycott ?

I would guess much of the operations are automated. And you have some varying level of skills needed to make the plant run properly.

Just to make a point, as it appears some here are spectacularly unaware of what is required. In order to make a modern plant run properly you need a very high level of skills. You need people who are skilled in robotics, programming, electronics, mechanical abilities and of course the strong application of logic related to trouble shooting. Many people appear to believe that modern automated plants just hum along with no problems. This is not true. There are breakdowns, and unanticipated glitches that come up constantly. The skills are far beyond the ability of someone sitting at a desk in an office and are not easily or quickly aquired.

I just wanted to point this out in order to be sure that people are aware that such skills are not equivalent to a Wallmart cashier or McD's burger flipper. On the other hand if these guys were smart they'd just pull out their smart phone and everything would be hunky dory as another poster constantly likes to tell everyone.

I generally buy beer in bottles. Tastes better. And usually in 640ml bombers.

Although I do use cans for the boat... But I don't know the source of the cans, or whether they ever used this company. Hence, I can't boycott beer cans.

Here is my go-to beer for the boat:

Screen-Shot-2014-06-05-at-12.23.44-PM.pn

Given that it's a real mystery why Crown Metal Packaging is treating their employees like the Walmarts of the world treat their's.

Not really, they're doing it because they can. Look at Honda Alliston. They no longer actually hire anyone. Instead new hires are on a contract basis to be renewed every one or two years. This includes their tech's. Of course these contract workers make far less than those who were previously hired. it's all about the money. They make record profits year after year and the little guy makes less. It's a brave new world.

This is true, When people bring up LCBO employees who stock shelves for $20/hour

Link?

Are these new hires or long time valued employees?

A little context please.

or teachers who make $90,000/year to work for 9 months a year, the term jealousy is thrown out.

Link?

They wouldn't be new hires.

Those would be teachers in positions of responsibility, managers - Dept Heads, vice principals, principals, system coordinators.

Again, please know what you're talking about.

But CEOs are always used as examples as why public service wages aren't too high. As if a companies CEO is any way comparable to the private sector worker.

I'm sure these workers are being given the raw deal, but they make freakin' cans! It's not like they're making Fighter Jets or Honda Civics.

Hmmm ... so people should be paid according to your opinion of the 'importance' of the product?

Teachers should be paid pretty well on that scale then. :)

Make sure you buy Molson or Labatt cans to help bust those nasty unions! oh wait...

You do what you can where the options exist. Most of the beer I drink is not union made (even though a company that is unionized is a partner in the brewery), but I don't know the source of their cans... I'll have to check into it.

It's a brave new world.

Looks a lot like the same old world to me except it's been a long time since the socio-economic reset button has been pushed is all.

Revolutions are like plate tectonics, a number of small relatively harmless ones are preferable to the destructiveness of a Big One.

Edited by eyeball