Changes to crossing the US border

There could be consequences for Canadian travelers going to the US, especially the "snowbirds". under the Entry Exit initiative that allows officials to keep track of how many days Canadian spent within the US. The 6 months stay or 182 days is now 120 or 4 months and one of the risk of staying too long is being considered a US citizen and paying income on worldwide income. you can lose your Canadian residency and health care and there are other changes and new rules. I like to know which government official went along with this and this rule could cut back on day shopping to the US. https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadians-going-u-long-stays-150000122.html

A lot of misinformation in that article. The Canadian rule is still 182 days. The American rules was ALWAYS only 120 days. The thing that's changed, is the two borders are now sharing information, so the US is now able to enforce their 120, when before it was almost impossible.

In short, any Canadian that stayed longer than 120 days in the US without a specific permit was already breaking the law in the US.

Ontario snowbirds can actually stay for 7 months without losing their OHIP, but it's the U.S. that would be the problem as they can ding you for income tax. There's a formula for people to use when filling out the form 8840:

Canadian residents who winter in the U.S. are technically subject to U.S. income tax if they exceed a specific number of days (based on a calculation on the form 8840) in the U.S. in any one year.

To avoid U.S. taxation, IRS form 8840 (Closer Connection Exemption Statement for Aliens) needs to be filed annually with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.

http://www.snowbirds.org/tax-forms

http://www.rcmpvetsnational.ca/Comments/CSA/CSA-e.php

All insured Ontario residents can spend up to 212 days in each 12-month period outside Ontario without losing their OHIP coverage.

Edited by scribblet

All insured Ontario residents can spend up to [/size]212 days in each 12-month period outside Ontario without losing their OHIP coverage.[/size]

NOt exactly.

To be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during one of these absences, you must first have been physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in each of the 12-month periods for 2 consecutive years immediately before the absence

NOt exactly.

To be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during one of these absences, you must first have been physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in each of the 12-month periods for 2 consecutive years immediately before the absence

From the Ontario OHIP site:

"How long can I be absent from Canada and still maintain my OHIP coverage?

You may be temporarily outside of Canada for a total of 212 days in any 12 month period and still maintain your OHIP coverage as long as your primary place of residence is still in Ontario. However, the ministry does have extended absence provisions which are outlined below."

My late parents, for 25 years, always left around Nov.11th and came back around either the first of April or May, just depended on if someone here took care of their income taxes by the end of April. I also wonder if the US is tracking Canadians crossing the border , many Canadians daily shopping would be shorten if they also spent time in the US in the winter months.

I think many Canadians would agree with you, its one of the last place I want to go, too dangerous, corrupt government, no matter which party is in but most of the people are ok.

It is the number one travel and foreign investment destination for Canadians, so you are wrong again.