Canada,United States and Mexico

It seems to me that you're not sure who OR why. It's more like a theory that uniting the 3 countries MIGHT be an idea that would be advantageous for SOME REASON.

Individuals and corporations are doing very well, even as China grows.

I don't know who because it's impossible to tell who may be in power in each of these countries in the next 20 years. If you know please do share. The why is to advance each others economies. With something like the Amero it is estimated that Canadian business' would save upwards of $3 billion a year in currency transactions alone. Other why's are to harmonize regulations between the countries benefiting cross border trade, as well as things like trades and manufacturing regulations. Which can have a whole slew of benefits and consequences for all member states.

Individuals and corporations will always "do well". There are individuals and corporations in 3rd world countries that "do well" But the aim is for a lot of individuals and business' to "do well."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet none have "unionized" as you suggested the United States, Canada and Mexico will.....

None, except the EU, have done all three but almost all of them have done at least one of the three things I mentioned. Which are a common currency, open border agreements and the harmonizing of business', industrial and trades regulations. Others have done even more. These Unions often work very slowly, many of them have been considering common currencies for 20+ years.

That is subjective.......States like Texas or California already have a GDP of the same size as a Canada, South Korea or India....

This is true I stand corrected. Places like Texas and California could manage very well without any outside help, others may need a Union but might want to retain sovereignty as their own country.

None, except the EU, have done all three but almost all of them have done at least one of the three things I mentioned. Which are a common currency, open border agreements and the harmonizing of business', industrial and trades regulations. Others have done even more. These Unions often work very slowly, many of them have been considering common currencies for 20+ years.

EU member nations have surrendered their sovereignty? :huh:

This is true I stand corrected. Places like Texas and California could manage very well without any outside help, others may need a Union but might want to retain sovereignty as their own country.

......As I said, in North America there would be further division before any union.......NAU is a tinfoil hat pipedream/nightmare.

How is doing any of that surrendering sovereignty? I never said anything about surrendering sovereignty in that paragraph, not sure what you're reading?

I'm still discussing your first post

The Amero, maybe a centralized government like structure and completely seamless travel and relocation between all 3 countries. My bet at least one of these happens within the next 20 years.

That doesn't change the reality that Canada is a first world service economy.

As are the majority of 1st world countries. Agricultural, energy, forestry and mining exports accounted for about 58% of Canada's total exports. Without resources to export we have nothing to offer the outside world, which means no investment from the outside world, which means a failing dollar and we are far to big of a country to rely entirely on tourism. Also many, if not most towns in northern Canada, where agriculture is virtually nonexistent, exist because of a nearby mine or source of timber. Then there are industries linked almost entirely to resource extraction such as Canada's largest manufacturing industry the pulp and paper sector, is directly linked to the logging industry. Without resources Canada would not have anywhere close to the Economy it does now and the service industry would suffer because of it.

I'm still discussing your first post

A centralized government like structure is like the European Parliament. What I meant was the organization of the member states themselves really. The government like structure acts as the forum for which discussion and debate take place. Sovereignty is not lost, it is retained.

A centralized government like structure is like the European Parliament. What I meant was the organization of the member states themselves really. The government like structure acts as the forum for which discussion and debate take place. Sovereignty is not lost, it is retained.

And that too won't happen, the Americans would never put the control of their own currency in Non-American hands.....frankly, with issues encompassing the Euro over the last several years, I don't see why anyone would.

That doesn't change the reality that Canada is a first world service economy............

As are the majority of 1st world countries.

Not really. Services are part of all economies, but the most successful economies are all exporters and often exporters of value added goods.

China, Germany, USA for example all make things that everybody wants to buy.

Exactly. And especially when you consider all the EU has done is weaken the currency and cost Germany a boatload of dough trying to bail out the likes of Greece. We like borders.

That statement illustrates that you have no idea why Germany actually bails out Greece.

Germany is an exporter of high quality things. They get paid in Euros. As an exporter, it is very much in their interest to keep the relative value fo the Euro moderate and stable. Propping up Greece or rather propping up the Euro currency is exponentially cheaper than the alternative of not propping up both the country and the currency.

Becuase Germany did not do it, the Euro is at risk.

If Germany was obliged to shift back to using the deutschmark, the relative value of the mark to other currencies( like the dollar and pound) would skyrocket instantly. Of course that would instantly make German exports extremely expensive, uncompetetive and destroy the German economy. Propping up the Euro/Greece is peanuts.

You're welcome.

What is far more worrisome to the Chermans is the state of other south European economies like Spain and Italy. They are far larger than the problems in Greece and portugal and far more dangerous overall.

Another one that is in deep doo-doo is France. They have more or less completely failed in doing what they must to get out of massive deficit spending. Big problems ahead for a big economy.

Not really. Services are part of all economies, but the most successful economies are all exporters and often exporters of value added goods.

China, Germany, USA for example all make things that everybody wants to buy.

All first world countries, at their core, are service economies. That's what drives the majority of commerce. On top of that is trade. If you have more, you're lucky.

All first world countries, at their core, are service economies. That's what drives the majority of commerce. On top of that is trade. If you have more, you're lucky.

Backwards.

With the exception of world financical centers like London, NYC and Hong Kong, services are mostly internal. Services are of course required internally, but they don't do much for favorable balances of trade.

The most successful economies export: goods, commodities or both. China Germany USA do not prosper from call centers or banking services.

It is not luck. It is planning and execution, both are activities we are increasingly awful at in Canada.

Uh... how much more of a union does there need to be ?

Ask the nations of Europe.

Countries such as? You realize there is a segment (including the UK) that would like to abort the European Union..........

All while playing a key role in starting and getting the EU to where it is today.

That doesn't change the reality that Canada is a first world service economy.

Canada used to be high on manufacturing. Why can't I find 'made in Canada' anymore?

It needs to be balanced with strong manufacturing sector. If people have no money to spend, then the service/hospitality sector will suffer. And if you have nothing to hedge against it via other sectors, it's gonna hurt.