Education Over Expulsion At Dalhousie

Big Guy

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the remarks that I would have hoped we had moved beyond. Did not these men take an oath? Would you want your wife/sister/daughter to seek dental treatment with these men?

That would depend on whether they were good dentists.

My position is that dentists have a fiduciary relationship with their patients. Are you arguing against that? They're not in a position of trust, where they're able to administer mind-altering narcotics?

It was a few tasteless facebook posts, and the women concerned don't want them punished beyond this 'restorative justice' thing. Odd that you take more offense than they did.

It was a few tasteless facebook posts, and the women concerned don't want them punished beyond this 'restorative justice' thing. Odd that you take more offense than they did.

We've already seen how you dismiss sexually violent declarations as "boys will be boys." Your history of dismissing misogyny is well documented here. If that's the side of history you want to be on, then suit yourself, but I find the ideas and your support for them intolerable.

We've already seen how you dismiss sexually violent declarations as "boys will be boys." Your history of dismissing misogyny is well documented here. If that's the side of history you want to be on, then suit yourself, but I find the ideas and your support for them intolerable.

I have grown tired of responding to his responses. I must thank you for keeping up the job!

What was posted by these men?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/12/19/22141331.html

The Class of DDS 2015 Gentlemen group has been taken down, but screenshots obtained by CBC show its 13 members posted rape jokes next to pictures of women, some of them Dalhousie students. Examples include, "Who would you hate f---?," "Bang until stress is relieved or unconscious (girl)" and "Can you tell me what this chloroform smells like?"

Perhaps because it's a trivial issue?

That's your opinion, and I'm sure even you can see that it's one that's moving to the fringe rapidly, given the response.

Perhaps we are in an era of backlash, but if so then it's because there has been a pervasive social problem that has been with us forever, that has been dismissed by men in power. This era could be just a step along the way to restore balance, and to finally learn and to deal with it.

Hey Argus, it seems a swat on the back of the head isn't enough to reset your brain, so ...

Can you tell me what this chloroform smells like?

Hey Jacee - it's not necessary to respond that way. If Argus' values don't stack up, in your view, then use the board to explain why. That's the way.

Hey Jacee - it's not necessary to respond that way. If Argus' values don't stack up, in your view, then use the board to explain why. That's the way.

Sometimes the malignant effects of 'trivial' (violent) 'jokes' become clear without futile lengthy explanation, when simply pointed back at those who defend them.

Argus claims not to be bothered by such.

Sometimes the malignant effects of 'trivial' (violent) 'jokes' become clear without futile lengthy explanation, when simply pointed back at those who defend them.

Argus claims not to be bothered by such.

I'm not. It's called having a sense of proportion, which is something you clearly lack. It's also based on understanding human behaviour, another area which seems to present issues for you.

And of course, I don't have the same loathing for the often bawdy and disrespectful culture of young men as you do, nor the desire to punish them for not being women.

Or that the institution in question has...

Most of our educational institutions share that loathing. It's not a good time to be a boy in Canada. If you don't act like a girl in school you get judged as being a problem child and drugged. Once you get to be a teenage boy you graduate to the category of 'potential rapist' and subjected to even more suspicious oversight of everything you think, do or say. And of course, when you get to college you join the 'Rape culture" which is the imagination of man-hating women and the timid, ballless men who infest post-secondary institutions. Allan Rock being a prime example.

Most of our educational institutions share that loathing. It's not a good time to be a boy in Canada. If you don't act like a girl in school you get judged as being a problem child and drugged.

Hyperbole. I know lots of boys who don't make rape jokes. They're not girls, and they don't get drugged for refusing to join in.

... imagination of man-hating women and the timid, ballless men ...

In my day there was an idea of a gentleman. This is a concept that appeals to most people, ie. good manners. Your characterization is antiquated and fringe dwelling, and almost quaint in its paranoia. Raging against the changing times is what I see here....

Most of our educational institutions share that loathing. It's not a good time to be a boy in Canada. If you don't act like a girl in school you get judged as being a problem child and drugged. Once you get to be a teenage boy you graduate to the category of 'potential rapist' and subjected to even more suspicious oversight of everything you think, do or say. And of course, when you get to college you join the 'Rape culture" which is the imagination of man-hating women and the timid, ballless men who infest post-secondary institutions.

So men who don't make violent rape 'jokes' are "timid ballless" men, in your view?

I guess I've been fortunate to meet many more decent men than you.

Among women, men who make violent rape 'jokes' are generally considered to be overcompensating for rejection and a pathetic lack of confidence due to 'small penis syndrome'.

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Maybe, but MLW policy prohibits such posts nonetheless.

You criticizing jacee for her comment completely disregards the context of it. She's responding in kind to Argus with the kind of language and behaviour he so brazenly dismisses when it is directed towards women. Jacee talking about a swat to the back of the head or chloroform is highlights the exact point that she's making and is on topic. That kind of talk is unacceptable and when she makes the joke, albeit sarcastically, back to Argus, it warrants a moderator's response and Argus making it personal yet again. Yet there is no moderator's response to Argus who makes it personal when he talks about her "sense of proportion" or her "issues" with understanding human behaviour, which anyone can plainly see is his guarded language for calling her an idiot without breaking the forum's rules.

Stop pretending the forum rules are black and white. Judges don't judge to the letter of the law. The judge by the intent of the law. Clearly jacee's intent is to show how the kind of language these men were using is unacceptable by throwing it back into the face of on of their staunchest apologists, while Argus's intent, as usual, is to see how close he can come to calling a poster a moron without getting suspended.

You criticizing jacee for her comment completely disregards the context of it. She's responding in kind to Argus with the kind of language and behaviour he so brazenly dismisses when it is directed towards women.

Ok, but how can we criticize behavior on one hand, and engage in it at the same time ? I don't agree with that, and regardless it's pretty clearly not allowed.

Stop pretending the forum rules are black and white.

They're not. I respond according to my interpretation and when they're grey you might disagree with me.

Ok, but how can we criticize behavior on one hand, and engage in it at the same time ? I don't agree with that, and regardless it's pretty clearly not allowed.

Because she's not engaging in the same behaviour. She's ironically using the same language to bring into relief the ridiculousness of Argus's arguments. That was my point, which you seem to have overlooked.

Because she's not engaging in the same behaviour. She's ironically using the same language to bring into relief the ridiculousness of Argus's arguments. That was my point, which you seem to have overlooked.

Irony is difficult to discern on here, as I explained to eyeball in a recent post, I think. Anyway, ironically insulting people, for example, would probably still bring a comment from me or the mods.

They're not. I respond according to my interpretation and when they're grey you might disagree with me.

Perhaps if I edit to add the /sarcasm alert?

Edited by jacee

Hyperbole. I know lots of boys who don't make rape jokes. They're not girls, and they don't get drugged for refusing to join in.

Who care what you know? Don't you keep talking about anecdotal evidence not being worth anything? I guess it's valuable only when it's yours, eh?

In my day there was an idea of a gentleman.

When was your day, 1862?

So men who don't make violent rape 'jokes' are "timid ballless" men, in your view?

No. Men who overreact and burst into tears when someone makes a joke are ballless men.

Women who overreact and burst into tears when someone makes a joke are more likely just neurotic.

Edited by Argus