Does Israel have a right to exist?

overthere

Does Israel have a right to exist as a state?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is moot...Israel does not require the "right to exist" any more than Canada or Brazil.

I was not aware that Canada or Brazil had so many sworn enemies who refused to recognize their right to exist as a state, and promised to extrerminate the place and everybody in it. Thanks for the update.

I was not aware that Canada or Brazil had so many sworn enemies who refused to recognize their right to exist as a state, and promised to extrerminate the place and everybody in it. Thanks for the update.

Your poll question, though well intended, is very patronizing to Israel. Israel fought for its independence as a state based on land carved up by the same royal actors who carved up North America. Why would Israel be treated any differently ?

Your poll question, though well intended, is very patronizing to Israel.

On the contrary, it is the very foundation and basis of a lasting peace in the MidEast.

Nobody is more aware of that than Israel.

And of course so are its enemies, who do not want this question answered at all.

To be fair, neither do some elements in Israel.

But that is neither here or there today.

Yes or no?

No...Israel does not need the right to exist, because it can/will bomb any enemies who are existential threats. The 'right to exist' is just empty rhetoric.

I will poll Americans on another board to see how many think Canada has the 'right to exist'.

Somehow you misread the question, again

I did not ask if Israel needs the right to exist.

I asked "Does Israel HAVE the right to exist"?

Not 1947, but right now today

Looks like a 'no' from you. Or maybe a string of 'buts'. Hard to tell.

Oh, and 'the right to exist' will be in the very first paragraph of any peace agreement in the ME, and will cover a couple of nations. Obviously. It cannot be otherwise.

Somehow you misread the question, again

I did not ask if Israel needs the right to exist.

I asked "Does Israel HAVE the right to exist"?

Not 1947, but right now today

Looks like a 'no' from you. Or maybe a string of 'buts'. Hard to tell.

Oh, and 'the right to exist' will be in the very first paragraph of any peace agreement in the ME, and will cover a couple of nations. Obviously. It cannot be otherwise.

Just to be clear, I am challenging any such notion. Nation states exist because they have the means to do so....economic....military...cultural. Right now, Israel will attack/bomb any threat to its existence, regardless of any rhetoric about "permission" to exist.

Just to be clear, I am challenging any such notion. Nation states exist because they have the means to do so....economic....military...cultural. Right now, Israel will attack/bomb any threat to its existence, regardless of any rhetoric about "permission" to exist.

Yes, I get that Israel probably has the means to exist. Weapons, economy, friends. It may not be enough.

It was not the question, and the actual question is not in any way intended to mislead.

But... I see you want to answer 'but'.

Carry on!

Yes, I get that Israel probably has the means to exist. Weapons, economy, friends. It may not be enough.

It was not the question, and the actual question is not in any way intended to mislead.

But... I see you want to answer 'but'.

Carry on!

The question is moot. No nation has the "right to exist". That's just silly....

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The question is fraught with politicized semantics.

It would be sillier to say a country has a right to exist. The word nation also means a people which do have a right to exist. A definition of country has more to do with geography. Does a mountain range or a desert have a right to exist?