Pew Survey: Liberals consistently more intolerant of opposing views on

Shady

Coulda fooled me, but then, that's a typical response from a group which consistently tries to suppress opposing opinions. e.g. vigorous opposition to Sun News

Nobidy watches Sun News because it's sensationalist garbage and uninformed commentary masquerading as "reporting." Going bankrupt because you suck at what you do isn't some left wing conspiracy to suppress the channel. It's free market capitalism at its finest, showing you exactly what people think of your radical and extreme views.

The study doesn't seem to say if people are blocking those with *opposing* views either.

This study more confirms what I noticed myself: people with left wing views frequently seek to censor people they disagree with rather than engage in a constructive debate. The climate debate is a good example where lefties constantly dismiss critics as 'deniers' actively pressure the media that allows them to express their opinion - even if their opinion is a science based moderate view that only rejects the pet policies preferred by the left wing activists.

I have also seen in another case where a libertarian tried to organize a committee to legalize gay marriage in Arizona but was shunned by the left wing activists who could not tolerate his views on economics.

I see it as modern incarnation of religion that has replaced the god centered churches of old and people on the left tend to be the equivalent of bible thumping evangelicals.

Edited by TimG

I debate people frequently from both sides as my views are neither conventionally left or right wing. While I've certainly had my share of vehement disagreements with right wingers, the look of shear indignation that appears on some progressive's faces when you challenge a key tenet of their ideology is something else. Try to casually question the reasoning behind "social justice" or "white privilege" and in the eyes of some, you are no longer a debating partner but a monster.

When you tell a conservative something they disagree with, depending on who it is, they might perhaps come back with a really really dumb talking point, but you don't see the outrage and contempt that a progressive often exhibits.

Those are at least my anecdotal experiences.

Edited by Bonam

I think it has nothing to do with political leaning but with personality. If you are an intelligent person, comfortable in your political convictions, you are always receptive to another point of view. You listen to it, evaluate it and accept it or not depending on your leaning. And you always tolerate another point of view.

If you want people who disagree with you to respect your opinion then you have to respect the opinions of those who differ from you.

Try to casually question the reasoning behind "social justice" or "white privilege" and in the eyes of some, you are no longer a debating partner but a monster.

When you tell a conservative something they disagree with, depending on who it is, they might perhaps come back with a really really dumb talking point, but you don't see the outrage and contempt that a progressive often exhibits.

Outrage and contempt become more apparent when you casually try to explain the reasons for things like social justice.

You can try citing scientific reasons but that usually just pisses people off more.

The study doesn't seem to say if people are blocking those with *opposing* views either.

it's heeelarious how much the 'rightees' here are trying to read into a survey with one smallish component within it focused on... Facebook and presumed blocking of differing views! Notwithstanding the survey doesn't show what they think it shows... or what they feverishly want it to show! Yes, Facebook is now the 'rightees' defacto determiner of intolerance! :lol:

This study more confirms what I noticed myself: people with left wing views frequently seek to censor people they disagree with rather than engage in a constructive debate. The climate debate is a good example where lefties constantly dismiss critics as 'deniers' actively pressure the media that allows them to express their opinion - even if their opinion is a science based moderate view that only rejects the pet policies preferred by the left wing activists.

no - this survey has nothing to do with your tired old conspiracy claims of legitimate world-wide scientists 'always working to keep the poor denier man down'!

"frequently seek to censor"??? Frequently... really, frequently? If it's sooooo frequent you should have no trouble providing many, many examples. Soooo many examples, in fact, that the sheer volume should act to legitimize your conspiracy, right? You should play out some of those... in an approriate thread, right. Will we have to wait long?

• 2 weeks later...

Coulda fooled me, but then, that's a typical response from a group which consistently tries to suppress opposing opinions. e.g. vigorous opposition to Sun News

Sun News is irredeemably boring. So it's not really an alternative to other news media. The few times I've clicked on it it's usually some guy in a suit spouting. They need to rent a camera and get out and take some videos, maybe hire the occasional hot blonde reporter.

Nobidy watches Sun News because it's sensationalist garbage and uninformed commentary masquerading as "reporting."

Which can sell very, very well if it's reasonably done. Sun sucks because it's dull and boring. Give me control of it and I'll triple viewership in no time. Ugly guys in suits standing in a studio spouting do not draw viewers. Get some good looking young people with cameras out there into the streets taking interesting videos on topics the mainstream media prefers to avoid and you'll get viewership, especially if you sensationalize things. Sensationalize some topics and you'll get the mainstream media giving you free advertising by being 'shocked and appalled'.

Blocking someone from your newsfeed is not the same thing as stopping someone from saying the stupid garbage they want to say. It's plugging your ears, not duct taping their mouths.

And plugging your ears is pretty much what you've accused conservatives of doing, isn't it?

I've noticed this in my private life, and especially on this forum. People with liberal political views are for some reason, much more intolerant of opposing views. I think it stems from their views being reinforced by echo chambers in their private lives and especially online.

http://www.journalism.org/2014/10/21/section-2-social-media-political-news-and-ideology/

Causes:

Conservatives, speaking generally, are more hostile than liberals. This could be one of the reasons liberals just shut it down.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-beast/201210/why-liberal-hearts-bleed-and-conservatives-dont

I've disagreed with fellow liberals on some issues and we're quite courteous to each other in our disagreement. Likewise, we have a few rational conservative posters with whom I've engaged in constructive debates and I was genuinely open to their opinions.

Unfortunately, the majority of you are quite belligerent though and not worth engaging. Chalk it up as intolerance if you wish but I prefer to think it's because I'm not a masochist.

I judge people for their actions. You judge people for their skin colour and what religion they belong to. That's the difference.

No, I judge people by their actions, regardless of skin colour. That's why you're so angry, because I don't cut brown people the slack you do.

The truth is you feel everyone has to make allowances for them because you don't think they're up to civilized standards of behaviour.