Utter Incompetence in Dealing with Ebola

A few weeks ago, a poster here posted in another thread” “Be patient. When/If Ebola ever starts to become a danger to the West we will find a cure. When "civilized" white guys and gals are in danger we seem to find the money to throw into finding a cure.”

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/23831-ebola-patients-coming-to-north-america/page-4

Looks like he guessed right.

I don't see the issue. The Western countries dedicate a certain amount of their budget to foreign aid. Some of that is bilateral and some through world agencies, most affiliated with the U.N. If these countries choose to use the money they receive in aid to fatten their "leaders'" bank accounts that money won't be available to fight local diseases, including then-local Ebola.

If a disease, say Ebola, makes its way to the West, the Western countries have the right to use their resources to combat those diseases. And yes, it is predictable that a Western democracy would throw much in the way of resources into combating an incipient major health hazard. Its too bad that countries other than the "'civilized' white guys" find other uses for the money they obtain by taxes and /or foreign aid.

Edited by jbg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As predicted, the legal challenges and federal pressure mounts on mandatory quarantines imposed by some states:

At the same time, the first person to be forced into isolation under the new protocols, Kaci Hickox, a nurse returning from Sierra Leone, planned to mount a legal challenge to the quarantine order. Despite having no symptoms, she has been kept under quarantine at a hospital in New Jersey, where she has been confined to a tent equipped with a portable toilet and no shower. On Sunday, she spoke to CNN about the way she has been treated, describing it as “inhumane.”

The rapidly escalating events played out both privately, in intense negotiations and phone calls between federal and state officials, as well as publicly in Ms. Hickox’s pointed criticism of the New Jersey governor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/nyregion/ebola-quarantine.html?_r=0

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The issue being referred to is that the conditions in the quarantine were not considered humane. That is true... but the fault lies not with the people who had to rig up ad-hoc quarantine facilities with no support from health authorities or the federal government, but with the CDC and the administration for not already having set up proper up-to-spec quarantine where people could be comfortable and properly cared for while waiting.

I 100% support quarantine for people returning from affected countries, but do agree that it should be handled better and more professionally. And the fault for not doing so lies squarely with Obama, his "Ebola czar", and the CDC.

The issue is she doesn't have Ebola. The "mandatory" quarantine in Maine won't stick without a court order.

You don't know what you're talking about. The incubation period of Ebola is 21 days. As for courts, there's plenty of precedent in regards to quarantines.

Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about. She tested negative for Ebola in NJ.

She tested negative in a preliminary blood test, which I'm sure you know is uncertain, and that her blood needs to be tested several times over a period of time for any certainty. Hence, the 21 day quarantine.

She tested negative in a preliminary blood test, which I'm sure you know is uncertain, and that her blood needs to be tested several times over a period of time for any certainty. Hence, the 21 day quarantine.

Keep in mind she is a nurse just returned from treating Ebola patients in W. Africa. She probably knows a bit about the virus including the general knowledge that if you are not symptomatic you are not infectious. Can you inform us of what Christie's medical background is? The other problem this creates is that if you are going to treat health care workers like that after trying to help the situation, they are probably gonna say, hey Christie, if you can find a seat on an airplane big enough to sit your fat ass, you go to west Africa, I'm staying home. Then there is a real problem.

Keep in mind she is a nurse just returned from treating Ebola patients in W. Africa. She probably knows a bit about the virus

Yeah... no. I assume nothing about nurses being knowledgeable. We have clearly seen a number of them make poor decisions. Such as traveling on an aircraft while infected with Ebola and symptomatic. Same with that doctor who came back from West Africa... he should have known even better, being a doctor, but he didn't, and rode on the subway while symptomatic.

As for medical workers not going to West Africa... honestly, medical workers should be the first ones to realize the value of quarantine in containing the spread of infectious disease. While the methods employed in quarantine could use improvement, the quarantine itself unquestionably reduces risk. Furthermore, if a medical worker is not deterred from going to West Africa by the very real risk of contracting Ebola and dying a horrible painful death, do you think a little quarantine would stop them? If it does, then they don't have their heads screwed on straight and probably would do more harm than good, anyway.

Yeah... no. I assume nothing about nurses being knowledgeable.

While I personally favor the quarantine, I have learned more about the medical system in the last three years than I have ever wanted to know. Trust me, many nurses are as or more knowledgeable than doctors.

Yes, and? She went back to her home state of Maine, and is also now under mandatory quarantine. What's the issue?

That a quarantine is illegal and unnecessary, goes against medical advice, and is basically just playing to the ignorant and frightened. I'm not a fan of Obama, but he's acting like a leader, publicly meeting with these people and trying to calm fears. Christie, on the other hand, instead of acting like a leader, is taking advantage of fear and ignorance for political reasons.

Edited by Argus

I 100% support quarantine for people returning from affected countries, but do agree that it should be handled better and more professionally. And the fault for not doing so lies squarely with Obama, his "Ebola czar", and the CDC.

The doctors say it's not necessary. Where is your medical information coming from?

You don't know what you're talking about. The incubation period of Ebola is 21 days. As for courts, there's plenty of precedent in regards to quarantines.

Really? When doctors are advising against it? When the CDC, the World Health Organization, and every other major medical organization has said it's totally unnecessary? Good luck with that in court.

Yeah... no. I assume nothing about nurses being knowledgeable. We have clearly seen a number of them make poor decisions. Such as traveling on an aircraft while infected with Ebola and symptomatic.

And again, she knew she had a mild fever, contacted the CDC, and was approved for the flight. She was not contageous.

Same with that doctor who came back from West Africa... he should have known even better, being a doctor, but he didn't, and rode on the subway while symptomatic.

The doctor in question knew he wasn't contageous, and as soon as he started to feel symptomatic he contacted the authorities.

You cannot imprison someone because you're afraid they MIGHT become sick.

That a quarantine is illegal and unnecessary, goes against medical advice, and is basically just playing to the ignorant and frightened. I'm not a fan of Obama, but he's acting like a leader, publicly meeting with these people and trying to calm fears. Christie, on the other hand, instead of acting like a leader, is taking advantage of fear and ignorance for political reasons.

No, it's not illegal at all. A 21 day quarantine is a good idea, because the incubation period is the same. Obama's shown no leadership. They're making up policy as they go along. It's why members of the military are required to be in a quarantine and they're not even treating patients.