The Territory Insanity Begins

Remiel

So there is this article from the Huffington Post today: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/09/08/atikamekw-first-nation-quebec-territory_n_5787216.html .

According to Wikipedia, the Atikamekw First Nation has about 7,000 members. And they are claiming sovereignty over an area the size of the Czech Republic or Austria, countries with 10 1/2 million and 8 1/2 million people respectively.

The precedent in British Columbia was for a FN of comparable size, but they were claiming an area of what, 1500 square kilometers? This group is claiming 80,000.

If this is the way it is going to be it is insane. No one has a moral right to that much land for themselves: eleven square kilometers per person! No ones owes these people an aristocracy.

If this is the way it is going to be it is insane. No one has a moral right to that much land for themselves: eleven square kilometers per person! No ones owes these people an aristocracy.

Don't worry. I'm quite sure they'll be willing to take millions and millions and millions of dollars in exchange for abandoning the claim.

Yea...that'll work.

Look at all the claims being paid now with concrete treaties. Oh wait.............

wtf are you yapping about?

Plenty of bands lease rights to commerce on land they control via treaty or land claim settlement. If its treaty land, they have to work through the Crown. If they have a settlement, they will have their own economic development staff. Duh.

No one has a moral right to that much land for themselves:

So you feel that Canada as The Crown has no moral right to the millions of acres they now control or 'own' outright? Interesting.

Oh, and moral rights are superceded by Supreme Court decisions.

So you feel that Canada as The Crown has no moral right to the millions of acres they now control or 'own' outright? Interesting.

Canada controls those lands through de facto power and military force. If you recall my previous 50/km^2 rate, in a world with even population distribution we would occupy around 700,000 km^2, as opposed to the 9 mil+ we do now. Cosmic justice is not the source of our control, and yet we are being told we must submit to owing natives vast tracts of land and wealth for that very same cosmic justice when their claims, on a population basis, are often far worse than ours. If the FN in question had 140 km^2, they would have a "fair" share of the Earth. They want 80,000.

If you don't endorse race-based 'rights' where certain people are given entitlements based on their race, then apparently you are racist. At least according to the majority of Canadians, who are okay with state institutionalized racism.

Now that is just plain stupid.

Canada controls those lands through de facto power and military force. If you recall my previous 50/km^2 rate, in a world with even population distribution we would occupy around 700,000 km^2, as opposed to the 9 mil+ we do now. Cosmic justice is not the source of our control, and yet we are being told we must submit to owing natives vast tracts of land and wealth for that very same cosmic justice when their claims, on a population basis, are often far worse than ours. If the FN in question had 140 km^2, they would have a "fair" share of the Earth. They want 80,000.

What is cosmic justice?

I was commenting on this: "moral right to that much land for themselves:"

If a First Nations has no moral right to their claim, I'm not sure what 'moral right' the Crown has to a far greater area.

All govts in this country have sucked when it came time to pay the treaty agreements.

Like this one ! http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/09/09/land_deal_with_ontarios_ojibway_still_in_contention_after_164_years.html

You still stuck on some bad treaties as some sort of persuasive case that the same circumstances applies to all treaty and non treaty situations? I hope not.

That's why Section 1 of our Charter exists. It imposes reasonable limits on any/all applications of the law.

No, but that was not the question- which was about 'moral rights'. Nice try at moving the goalposts. Well actually it was not very well done.

Really? Hmm...

That would be crazy. Abandoning a claim.

Why not keep title and lease it out successively or jointly to various parties?

Can you possibly show me where moral rights were referenced, touched upon, broached in the above post of yours to which I responded?

Its a rhetorical question by the way.

Move the goalposts... :rolleyes:

Edited by Guyser2