Defending against drones

It occurred to me that with the proliferation of drones, especially military drones which can go some distance and launch attacks, that this would be the perfect terrorist vehicle. The Israelis have shot down a few of them. Apparently the Syrians have some, as do Hezbollah.

What happens when a drone loaded with weapons aims itself at the White House? What kind of a defense would you have for a weapon whose existence you wouldn't even be aware of it until it flew over the fence and started shooting? Even the smaller civilian drones can carry explosives. Imagine dropping one on top of Obama while he was speaking in the rose garden, or on top of his car, or into the middle of a concert crowd. Is it possible to jam these things? Do they give off any signals which can be detected so you would know one was approaching?

Drones can be detected by radar just like any other aircraft. They are smaller and can also have stealth technology, so the radar needs to be more sensitive. Drones can also be detected visually. Technologies to look at the sky using high resolution cameras and run image recognition algorithms to identify aircraft, drones, etc, are in various stages of development and deployment, and may be of more use against stealth drones than radar. Drones fly relatively slowly compared to other aircraft and generally do not possess any advanced defensive countermeasures and so, once detected, are relatively easy to destroy.

Most current drones are remotely piloted, meaning they receive their commands from a ground station with a pilot of some sort. Most any general jamming technology would work to interrupt these signals. However, autonomous drones that do not require continuous external control are in various stages of development and deployment, rendering them immune to jamming in the conventional sense (they would still be vulnerable to EMP as they have on-board electronics). There is no current drone that is programmed to autonomously fire any kind of weapon, though presumably a clever terrorist cell could develop the needed software.

Edited by Bonam

Drones are one of the first steps toward autonomous and/or remote-piloted/controlled warfare. I think warfare with nanotechnology will be a huge future concern, where assassinations will be almost impossible to prevent until proper defense mechanisms are put in place. Imagine a spy launching a microscopic flying device that can fly under door cracks and then fly up a politicians nose and rip through a brain artery or self-destruct inside the brain.

Drones are one of the first steps toward autonomous and/or remote-piloted/controlled warfare. I think warfare with nanotechnology will be a huge future concern, where assassinations will be almost impossible to prevent until proper defense mechanisms are put in place. Imagine a spy launching a microscopic flying device that can fly under door cracks and then fly up a politicians nose and rip through a brain artery or self-destruct inside the brain.

That's not so much nanotechnology as MEMS.

Nanotechnology weapons would be like nanite viruses and such. Fortunately we should all have augmented nanite immune systems by then.

Drones can be detected by radar just like any other aircraft.

I suppose, but I wasn't just thinking about the big drones operated by the military. I was thinking of those little civilian helicopter models you can buy for a few hundred bucks, launch out a window, filled with explosives, and drop atop someone's head or into the middle of a crowd a couple of blocks away.

Most current drones are remotely piloted, meaning they receive their commands from a ground station with a pilot of some sort. Most any general jamming technology would work to interrupt these signals. However, autonomous drones that do not require continuous external control are in various stages of development and deployment, rendering them immune to jamming in the conventional sense (they would still be vulnerable to EMP as they have on-board electronics). There is no current drone that is programmed to autonomously fire any kind of weapon, though presumably a clever terrorist cell could develop the needed software.

No? If Amazon can launch an automated drone and get it to land on your law with a package, then someone else can launch one to land on your roof filled with explosives... And would jamming or EMP be something which could be used on a constant basis inside a city? Ie, at the White House or around Parliament Hill? I'm pretty sure you could launch a drone a couple of blocks from the PMO and fly it into one of the windows there. Or if you were terrorist minded, just drop one into the midst of a crowd at a concert.

At first I thought this thread was about a new board feature that would let me ignore waldo.

well... why the attempt to marginalize lil' ole me? I've certainly been ignoring your prattle without emphasizing it. I do believe your comment has given me pause to reconsider that you just may be worthy of a lil' waldo attention.

well... why the attempt to marginalize lil' ole me? I've certainly been ignoring your prattle without emphasizing it. I do believe your comment has given me pause to reconsider that you just may be worthy of a lil' waldo attention.

Just checking to see if the renowned waldo sense of humour was intact.

Thanks for playing

• 1 year later...

It appears that the use of drones has just begun. It is those who get into the technology early will get the advantage:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/china-opens-drone-schools-demand-pilots-soars-151104132143426.html

New aviation schools are opening across China to meet a growing demand for commercial pilots to fly small, remote-controlled aircraft, or drones. It is estimated the country's maintenance, mapping, filming and agricultural industries will need more than 10,000 drone pilots this year.

Is Canada going to be left behind in this new technology?

It occurred to me that with the proliferation of drones, especially military drones which can go some distance and launch attacks, that this would be the perfect terrorist vehicle. The Israelis have shot down a few of them. Apparently the Syrians have some, as do Hezbollah.

What happens when a drone loaded with weapons aims itself at the White House? What kind of a defense would you have for a weapon whose existence you wouldn't even be aware of it until it flew over the fence and started shooting? Even the smaller civilian drones can carry explosives. Imagine dropping one on top of Obama while he was speaking in the rose garden, or on top of his car, or into the middle of a concert crowd. Is it possible to jam these things? Do they give off any signals which can be detected so you would know one was approaching?

You can jam almost any freq, there is a big difference between R/C vehs you buy at the local toy store and those drones that the military flies which are hardened to jamming....The Canadian military has been using jamming tech for twenty or more years now, from radar, to radio, to communications modes....we used a Cell and radio jammers in Afghanistan, both in a mobile platform and a stationary one, the mobile one was mounted in a LAV and had a range of about 750 meters or more, and it could jam all known cell freq's, along with a long list of others such as garage door openers, and others as the bad guys used them to detonate IED's it was used in large convoys.....the stationary ones gave were used at our main exits and entrances to the camps, once again to counter IED's....We also used cell trackers that could tap into any cell conversation in the area, listen to what was being said, and to find out the caller and the listeners location.....it to was available in a stationary or mobile platform...If we had a known bad guys location were would cause a diversion such as land a few tank or arty round close to their location, then listen to who he phoned to report the attack to.....and continue this process until we had all the bad guys locations noted for later.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess this is the natural progression and adaptation to common world issues. It is obvious that ISIS is behind this and trying to develop a new generation of suicide drones. The first attempt appears to have been a little ill timed but the next one should be more accurate. We should be afraid - more afraid - again

It is time that we in North America banned all drones especially ones operated by people with turbans or hijabs.

I have already seen potential suicide drone developers in school taking pieces of paper, folding them to make them aerodynamic and throwing them up in the air - and watching them glide!

Just because these young developers may be under 10 years olds that does not mean that they have not been turned.

Jihad is jihad - it is not age selective!

We should be afraid - very afraid - again!

Or perhaps not.

Edited by Big Guy

• 1 month later...

For every new weapon developed, another weapon is created to counter it:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/aerial-robots/dutch-police-training-eagles-to-take-down-drones

Looks like ISIS could have another weapon if it could breed one ton eagles.

In war, a captured or disabled airplane becomes the property of the disabler or caputurer. I guess one way to create your own collection of drones is to train and release your own eagle in areas where folks are flying these things.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/2/2014 at 7:42 PM, Argus said:

Video footage of the incident showed the drone approaching the parade ground rapidly and at low altitude before exploding above the covered VIP podium.

"It was a very strong explosion and we could feel the pressure," local journalist Nabil al-Qaiti, who was at the parade, told the Associated Press.

"The drone was packed with explosives," he added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46822429

Edited by Argus