City of Mattawa, Ont. took the bribe

The city of Mattawa took a bribe from Enridge to not comment on the oil pipeline for 5 years, that going from west to east through their area. What they get in a return.. $30,000 which will buy a rescue truck. So if and when the ipieline finally goes through and down the road it leaks, who is going to clean up the oil that gets into the river and the oil could end up in Ottawa downstream. Of course, if the Wind Companies had paid of the people living close to the turbines, they wouldn't have so many problems with the locals. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-03/transcanada-pays-ontario-town-cash-for-silence.html

I love the Blue Rodeo song Mattawa/ From the sounds of the lyrics, and the look of the town on the local website, they could use the money. Maybe there is a free market value to that exchange.

The city of Mattawa took a bribe from Enridge to not comment on the oil pipeline for 5 years, that going from west to east through their area. What they get in a return.. $30,000 which will buy a rescue truck. So if and when the ipieline finally goes through and down the road it leaks, who is going to clean up the oil that gets into the river and the oil could end up in Ottawa downstream. Of course, if the Wind Companies had paid of the people living close to the turbines, they wouldn't have so many problems with the locals. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-03/transcanada-pays-ontario-town-cash-for-silence.html

Interesting. Same in Hamilton I think:

Representatives from Hamilton 350 are filing a policy complaint against Hamilton police for accepting $44,410 in donations from Enbridge Pipelines Inc. The money was given in two separate installments $34,910 for a new ATV unit and $9,500 for mapping and GPS equipment in 2010.

In a letter to the service, the group argues that if police were involved in a "standoff" between Enbridge and protesters, it would be difficult for officers to remain completely impartial because of the donation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/group-protests-enbridge-donations-to-hamilton-police-1.1308945

There's no direct link stated, but I recall City Council saying they wouldn't be commenting on the pipeline reversal... Hmm ...

Now the cops have the equipment to chase protesters even off road. Hmm ...

Edited by jacee

Interesting. Same in Hamilton I think:

Representatives from Hamilton 350 are filing a policy complaint against Hamilton police for accepting $44,410 in donations from Enbridge Pipelines Inc. The money was given in two separate installments $34,910 for a new ATV unit and $9,500 for mapping and GPS equipment in 2010.

In a letter to the service, the group argues that if police were involved in a "standoff" between Enbridge and protesters, it would be difficult for officers to remain completely impartial because of the donation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/group-protests-enbridge-donations-to-hamilton-police-1.1308945

There's no direct link stated, but I recall City Council saying they wouldn't be commenting on the pipeline reversal... Hmm ...

Now the cops have the equipment to chase protesters even off road. Hmm ...

I wonder how many of you Luddites drive or heat your homes?

I wonder how many of you Luddites drive or heat your homes?

If it's spilling in the headwaters, wetlands and harbour ... it's not heating my home is it?

I wonder why anybody would trust Enbridge to

reverse flow

of oil-now-dilbit

in a 40 year old pipeline

only half the thickness of current standards

in the most heavily populated area of the country.

It's not about whether we heat or drive:

It's about how.

Edited by jacee

You don't even live in Ontario. What do you care if this pipeline flows through Ontario. It will have no impact on your lifestyle if there is an oil leak.

Prices will be driven down by the pipeline reverse. Reason enough.

Put it in your headwaters, wetlands, harbour then.

Another term for much of the environmentalism we see is NIMBY, or "not in my backyard." Applies here.

Name the names ...

All along the controversial pipeline community police departments have been receiving sums of money from Ken Hall, Enbridges rather repetitive greasy-palmed PR Rep.

http://hamiltonline9.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/dirty-money-from-dirty-oil-confronting-hamilton-police-corruption/

And more about the wetlands ...

Line 9 runs directly through the Beverly Swamp. All pipelines spill, if Tar Sands oil travels down Line 9, this thirty-five year-old pipeline will experience more frequent leaks of more toxic oil directly into the Beverly Swamp in the headwaters of the Spencer Creek, Hamiltons largest watershed.

The Beverly Swamp extends 9 miles across Flamborough and is a Class 1 wetland

http://hamiltonline9.wordpress.com/the-beverly-swamp/

So you don't want it in your backyard either.

Figures. :D

Actually I support rail shipments of crude oil, a proposed gas pipeline and cable for power from Quebec through my area. I voted for a Tennessee Natural Gas project that needed to purchase part of the neighborhood association property on which I reside.

Wrong again.

Edited by jbg

Wind Companies have been doing that for years. In Haldimand County in Ontario, the Municipality made a deal with the turbine company to put $2 million into municipality coffers for 20 years. That adds up to a $40 million deal (bribe?)

http://www.thestar.com/business/tech_news/2013/05/03/haldimands_cash_for_turbines_deal.html

So what is the problem?

Wind Companies have been doing that for years. In Haldimand County in Ontario, the Municipality made a deal with the turbine company to put $2 million into municipality coffers for 20 years. That adds up to a $40 million deal (bribe?)

http://www.thestar.com/business/tech_news/2013/05/03/haldimands_cash_for_turbines_deal.html

So what is the problem?

The pipeline bribe is for city councils to shut up.

Why can private companies pay our local politicians to shut up, when we pay them to speak up for us?

Can a developer pay them off to shut up about unpopular projects?

Something hinky there.

(Aside: Topaz is it possible to revise the thread title to show the thread is about the pipeline?)

Edited by jacee

I love the outrage over this pipeline.

THE PIPELINE ALREADY EXISTS!!!!!

They're just moving Alberta Oil east instead of imported oil West. We must stop Alberta from getting their oil to market any way possible!

How often has this pipeline leaked beforehand?

They're just moving Alberta Oil east instead of imported oil West. We must stop Alberta from getting their oil to market any way possible!

What do you think about Enbridge paying city councils to keep quiet and police for new equipment?

What do you think about Enbridge paying city councils to keep quiet and police for new equipment?

The price of doing business. In Toronto you often see developers doing a little something extra to help the community in order to build a gawdy condo building.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/gta/torontopipeline/2014/02/22/enbridge_line_9_w5_uncovers_unreported_spills_alarming_communities_along_830km_pipe.html

Enbridge Line 9: W5 uncovers unreported spills, alarming communities along 830-km pipe

Investigation unveils 35 spills along Enbridges suddenly controversial 830-km pipeline, many not revealed to communities until now..

Gee ... we just don't know ... because ENBRIDGE LIES.

Edited by jacee

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/gta/torontopipeline/2014/02/22/enbridge_line_9_w5_uncovers_unreported_spills_alarming_communities_along_830km_pipe.html

Enbridge Line 9: W5 uncovers unreported spills, alarming communities along 830-km pipe

Investigation unveils 35 spills along Enbridges suddenly controversial 830-km pipeline, many not revealed to communities until now..

Gee ... we just don't know ... because they are liars.

Kay, where were the protests before the oil was changed from imported oil to Alberta Oil?

The reversal was approved after the story you linked was published. How is the risk increased by simply reversing the oil flow?

The price of doing business.

You think your councillor should be bought off?

In Toronto you often see developers doing a little something extra to help the community in order to build a gawdy condo building.

There's a bylaw for that in Toronto, and they're required to make such arrangements public.

This is Enbridge paying off our city councils for their silence ... while we pay them to speak ... on our behalf.

Kay, where were the protests before the oil was changed from imported oil to Alberta Oil?

The reversal was approved after the story you linked was published. How is the risk increased by simply reversing the oil flow?

google it:

DILBIT

40 year old pipeline

HALF the thickness of the standard for dilbit

Millions of people

Everything flows downhill to Lake Ontario

Beverly Swamp (one of only 3 large natural water purifiers in Ont.)

PAYOFFS

LIES ABOUT SPILLS

Why do they have to lie and bribe?

Edited by jacee

• 1 month later...