Which E-Book to buy?

I have been using a Kindle that was lent to me by a friend. My eyesight is questionable and I read mostly large print books. I found the ability to control the size of text to be a godsend to me.

I am now prepared to purchase my own e-book. There are a variety of brands and combinations. I would appreciate any suggestions and examples of negative and positive qualities of the different brands.

I know it's more expensive, but I really recommend the iPad. There are cheaper and older models available (I'm using the iPad 3 - the first one with retinal display) and it completely replaced my laptop and I don't buy physical books anymore unless they're ridiculously good and I just want it on my bookshelf. I read books on it, check the news on it, watch movies on it and listen to music etc...It does everything.

If you're looking to read books, I'd probably recommend the Kobo. My parents and sister both have them and they're cheap and probably even better to just read books on. They're really simply designed and the letters are just magnetic black and white images on the screen, which is much easier on the eyes (the white space on the page doesn't shine in your eyes like it does on a computer screen or tablet). This also forces you to read with the light on, which is good, because I murder my eyes reading in the dark with my iPad.

Don't buy an iPad unless you enjoy spending a lot of money for little product in order to feel hip. If you want a tablet to also use as an e-reader, look at Samsung tablets.

The Kindle Paperwhite e-readers look pretty neat. They're backlit so you can read in the dark and also matte screen so you can read glare-free during the day in sunlight. They're also much cheaper than a tablet like an Ipad. Regular Kindle is $80 and backlit Kindle Paperwhite is $140.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Kobo and when it died I replaced it with an 8" Samsung Tab 3 and use the Kobo App. Not as good as a proper E reader when it comes to bright light reading but good enough and much more versatile. Probably works the same with the Kindle or any other E reader App.

Make sure you get an e-reader with an e-ink screen, ie, don't buy a tablet.Also be

I often read outside on deck. I can't do that with a bright shiny tablet.

I did not buy the most modern Kindle. The shiny colour version. I've seen people reviewing them who complain they're hard to see outside.

But it depends on where you read. Just be aware that the more it does, the faster the battery is drained.

Another factor is some Kindles, maybe all of them, will only read ebooks downloaded from Amazon. Most of the other ebook readers are more flexible.

Another factor is some Kindles, maybe all of them, will only read ebooks downloaded from Amazon. Most of the other ebook readers are more flexible.

I'm pretty sure the Amazon Fire tabs support the open epub format because they are Android based, but all of their dedicated e-readers do not. Amazon content comes in their own Kindle (AZW or KF8) format, however Kindle and others have software and services that will convert other content into a Kindle format. The Calibre app is free and easy to use for this purpose.

Other readers like the Kobo have the reverse problem. They will read epub but not the Kindle formats. IMO, Amazon is the best (paid) source for content, I recommend Kindle readers like the Paperwhite. It is easier to convert epub to Kindle than Kindle to epub.

Edited by Mighty AC

It involves a little bit of work but you can install Google Play store and get access to a much better selection of apps. Still in my opinion, it's not really worth buying a Kindle Fire. If you want a tablet get a real Android based device like a Samsung Tab, if you want to read get a dedicated reader with e-ink and a matte screen.

I often read outside on deck. I can't do that with a bright shiny tablet.

I did not buy the most modern Kindle. The shiny colour version. I've seen people reviewing them who complain they're hard to see outside.

But it depends on where you read. Just be aware that the more it does, the faster the battery is drained.

The tablets and colour e-readers don't have e-ink screens. The e-ink screens are a matte finish that actually looks better in the sunlight than it does indoors. It looks just like paper. The problem is people wanted colour, so the companies are trying to deliver it to them. I still think the e-ink screens are the best for reading books though. Tablets should be left for reading webpages, magazines, and comics (i.e., anything in colour).

• 1 month later...

I've been using a Kobo for the last year. Works great.charge it once a month and what i really like is being able to download any book ever written merely by going to the devices bookstore. it also has the capacity to go online through Google if needed