NAFTA'S Loopholes

Things will probably heat up between Canada and the US because of the "Buy America" ads and the fact that the US government is trying to pass Bills to make Canadian companies shift more of their productions and jobs to US plants. Both, countries are suffering from unemployment, thought the US is doing a little better than Canada, in the job mart. Now, with THIS Canada, Canada always seem to give in the the demands but now, they are going to do "Buy Canada" as a last resort, if the US won't deal fairly. http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/buy-american-driving-a-truck-through-naftas-loopholes/article18940347/?service=mobile

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dealing with the reasons why Canadians pay so much more for things than Americans would be a lot more useful than whining about what the US is doing to promote jobs at home.

May 6, 2014 – Consumers should blame government policy, not retail price gouging for large Canada-US price gaps, according to a new C.D. Howe Institute report. In “Sticker Shock: The Causes of the Canada-US Price Differential,” author Nicholas Li finds that rising wholesale price gaps over the 2004-2007 period reflect ill-advised Canadian government regulations, such as high tariffs as well as supply management.

Article

Our problems are not the fault of the US. The biggest loophole afforded to Americans is the fact Ottawa is representing us.

Canada's Labour Participation rate is 66.1%. The similar US rate is 62.8%. Who's doing better again?

Canada by a long shot. And don't give us any statistics without taking into consideration the US's outrageious income inequality. They work at below minimum wage jobs and Harper hasn't quite accomplished that for Canadians yet.

Dealing with the reasons why Canadians pay so much more for things than Americans would be a lot more useful than whining about what the US is doing to promote jobs at home.

Our problems are not the fault of the US. The biggest loophole afforded to Americans is the fact Ottawa is representing us.

It comes to the US by keeping workers at minimum or less than minimum wages. Let's help them perpetuate that by shopping south of the border to reap the benefits of starving American workers.

It comes to the US by keeping workers at minimum or less than minimum wages. Let's help them perpetuate that by shopping south of the border to reap the benefits of starving American workers.

By definition, minimum wage is the lowest wage that can be paid. There's no such thing as a legal less than minimum wage job.

Yep. More regulations, and higher taxes tend to add to the cost of goods and services. Why is this new to people? It just illustrates the vast economic ignorance of most Canadians.

By definition, minimum wage is the lowest wage that can be paid. There's no such thing as a legal less than minimum wage job.

Whhhhaaattttt? You are trying to tell me that some employers don't pay less than the prescribed minimum wage? Otherwise, why would you waste your time trying to tell me the definition of minimum wage? You disappoint again! I want you to try harder because you're the best rightie we've got.

Which ones?

Off the top of my head, those with a 14C, but there are other instances where it's done under the table. Look Shady, if you want to get into a serious discussion and drop all your de-Nile then let me know. I'm not here to waste my time.

That would mean you would have to address my responses. Oh, and think about the illegal aliens too because I'm going to bring up that issue too. Think, it's why they keep them illegal.

Yep. More regulations, and higher taxes tend to add to the cost of goods and services. Why is this new to people? It just illustrates the vast economic ignorance of most Canadians.

I think it says a lot more about our complacent attitudes towards really crappy governance.

I think it says a lot more about our complacent attitudes towards really crappy governance.

More regulations are usually a good thing. In many cases higher taxes are a good thing too. Parroting the US line of bs on taxes is a communicable disease. Understanding why Canada doesn't get into that is the key. And anyway, on the average we pay less taxes than they do by at least half of sources commenting on the topic.

harper is going to fix that by raising taxes on the lower 4 quintiles.

Off the top of my head, those with a 14C, but there are other instances where it's done under the table. Look Shady, if you want to get into a serious discussion and drop all your de-Nile then let me know. I'm not here to waste my time.

That would mean you would have to address my responses. Oh, and think about the illegal aliens too because I'm going to bring up that issue too. Think, it's why they keep them illegal.

You were the one that insisted that employers pay less than minimum wage, which is illegal and can cost them their business as well as jail time. All I did was as for specific names. You have none. Case closed.

Yes illegal aliens bring down the demand for labour, and therefore bring down wages. It's one reason why many want there to be a verification system so that no employer can hire non-citizens for jobs. Of course Democrats are against that. In Canada, it's a given that illegal aliens shouldn't be hired, nor given access to social services. But for some reason, Democrats in the United States push for both. You can't have a big social safety net and have no restrictions governing it. It only leads to massive budget and immigration problems.

More regulations are usually a good thing. In many cases higher taxes are a good thing too. Parroting the US line of bs on taxes is a communicable disease. Understanding why Canada doesn't get into that is the key. And anyway, on the average we pay less taxes than they do by at least half of sources commenting on the topic.

harper is going to fix that by raising taxes on the lower 4 quintiles.

This has little if anything to do with what I'm talking about.

Canadians pay so much more because they live in Canada. Canadians who live in the USA pay less. It's not complicated.

You were the one that insisted that employers pay less than minimum wage, which is illegal and can cost them their business as well as jail time. All I did was as for specific names. You have none. Case closed.

Yes illegal aliens bring down the demand for labour, and therefore bring down wages. It's one reason why many want there to be a verification system so that no employer can hire non-citizens for jobs. Of course Democrats are against that. In Canada, it's a given that illegal aliens shouldn't be hired, nor given access to social services. But for some reason, Democrats in the United States push for both. You can't have a big social safety net and have no restrictions governing it. It only leads to massive budget and immigration problems.

Shady my man, I gave you two instances of how the US pays less than the minimum wage. If you can't deal with it then don't come whining to me about it. We all know what is officially supposed to happen and what really does happen. I'm sorry Shady but I don't think my time is well spent listening to your excuses and your innuendoes that you don't seem to have the ability to back up with facts.

But do keep trying because I still think you're the best the right has. How much do you think that's saying Shady? Do you think any of the babbling brooks of the right can give you a run for your money?

We have more consumer debt and less disposable income because prices are higher here. The most expensive 'social' program we have is the one that tilts economic playing fields away from ordinary people towards companies and industries that use their political influence to gouge us. It's no mystery at all....

We have more consumer debt and less disposable income because prices are higher here. The most expensive 'social' program we have is the one that tilts economic playing fields away from ordinary people towards companies and industries that use their political influence to gouge us. It's no mystery at all....

Then why do so many Canadians complain about higher prices compared to those in a foreign country ?

I use to just chalk that up to the commonly held belief that many Canadians are just very frugal cheap, who they blame on the Scots. But it is more nuanced than just skinflint spending, it is an economic neurosis born of oppressive taxes on top of taxes and higher prices.

If one doesn't live in the United States, why would someone expect a similar cost/price structure for consumer goods in Canada ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Then why do so many Canadians complain about higher prices compared to those in a foreign country ?

I use to just chalk that up to the commonly held belief that many Canadians are just very frugal cheap, who they blame on the Scots. But it is more nuanced than just skinflint spending, it is an economic neurosis born of oppressive taxes on top of taxes and higher prices.

If one doesn't live in the United States, why would someone expect a similar cost/price structure for consumer goods in Canada ?

Except we pay quite a bit less tax than you do.

Things will probably heat up between Canada and the US because of the "Buy America" ads and the fact that the US government is trying to pass Bills to make Canadian companies shift more of their productions and jobs to US plants.

American corporations still employ more Canadians in Canada than do Canadian corporations employ Americans in the United States. There is no national flag logo on my local McDonald's golden arches, like this one:

McDonald%27sCanadianLogo.png

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Speaking for myself, I complain because of why they're higher, which is government interference in the so-called free-market - helping the rich get richer.

Effing bastards.