This week in Islam

kimmy

1 minute ago, Cannucklehead said:

The Holy Land (Hebrew: אֶרֶץ הַקּוֹדֶשׁ Eretz HaKodesh, Latin: Terra Sancta; Arabic: الأرض المقدسة Al-Arḍ Al-Muqaddasah or الديار المقدسة Ad-Diyar Al-Muqaddasah) is an area roughly located between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea that also includes the Eastern Bank of the Jordan River. Traditionally, it is synonymous both with the biblical Land of Israel and with the region of Palestine. The term "Holy Land" usually refers to a territory roughly corresponding to the modern State of Israel, the Palestinian territories, western Jordan, and parts of southern Lebanon and of southwestern Syria. Jews, Christians, and Muslims all regard it as holy.

Islam gained all its territory by military conquest...not peaceful conversions. Arabs are from Arabia...historically. 

6 minutes ago, Marocc said:

Yes. Hijab is prohibited in public schools at least.

You won't give me a reference so I have to go on what I think I've heard.

Weren't those rules requiring no head scarfs on school property more regional within districts of France and more directed towards dress codes designed to avoid conflicts like how some American schools ban gang gear?

I'm not seeing a flagrant removal of basic human rights.

Edited by Infidel Dog

3 minutes ago, Marocc said:

So you implied it was all about Islam, but clearly they had a lot in mind. A lot that you and I know nothing about.

I'm very well versed on the history...but this isn't the place. Start a History of Islam thread in my club...I'll school you there.

1 minute ago, Infidel Dog said:

You won't give me a reference so I have to go on what I think I've heard.

Weren't those rules more regional within districts of France and more directed towards dress codes designed to avoid conflicts like how some American schools ban gang gear?

I'm not seeing a flagrant removal of basic human rights.

I didn't say "basic human rights", but now that you mention it, covering one's head is a basic human right. I have no interest in their excuses. It is blatantly obvious that the country is against Islam and is sinking further and further into its own hatred as time goes by.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

I'm very well versed on the history...but this isn't the place. Start a History of Islam thread in my club...I'll school you there.

Yeah, Marocc do that.

I have some quotes from the Qu'ran on attacking the Jews I'd like to show you.

Edited by Infidel Dog
  • Like 1

In France, the hijab in some instances was only banned from schools and this was on the grounds it could cause conflicts.

If you prefer you can use  the comparable of banning kids from wearing clothes that mark them as a particular gang.

My point is a head covering isn't a human right. Not even if the rule calling for it is based in religion.

In Quebec Canada, there's this:

The Quebec ban on religious symbols was enacted by Bill 21, "An Act respecting the laicity of the State" (French: Loi sur la laïcité de l'État), which was tabled by the ruling Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ) on March 29, 2019. It is the first Quebec law stating that "The State of Québec is a lay State (section 1)." Since it was passed, new hires among public workers in positions of coercive authority have been banned from wearing religious symbols. It also mandates having one's face uncovered to give or receive specific public services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_ban_on_religious_symbols

If Muslims don't like the West's ideas on separating state from religion they don't have to live there.

Edited by Infidel Dog

32 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Its sad when people can't tell the difference between religious garb and hiding one's identity for criminal activity.  Grab a clue, man.

The Grand Mufti escaped the hangman's noose...by dressing as a woman and hiding his face.

16 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

In France, the hijab in some instances was only banned from schools and this was on the grounds it could cause conflicts.

If you prefer you can use  the comparable of banning kids from wearing clothes that mark them as a particular gang.

My point is a head covering isn't a human right. Not even if the rule calling for it is based in religion.

In Quebec Canada, there's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_ban_on_religious_symbols

If Muslims don't like the West's ideas on separating state from religion they don't have to live there.

Sure, I can agree that the law of the land should be paramount, regardless of one's personal beliefs.

On the other hand, not all laws are just.  India's laws which effectively prevents Muslims from citizenship, China's laws allowing Urghers to be put in jail, or Egypt's laws allowing them to put LGBTQ+ people in jail are all unjust laws.  And, in my opinion, laws which prevent people from wearing religious garb is also unjust.

7 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The Grand Mufti escaped the hangman's noose...by dressing as a woman and hiding his face.

So?  Skiers/snowshoers/skidoers wear balaclavas, but that doesn't make them all criminals because some people wear them to rob banks.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

So?  Skiers/snowshoers/skidoers wear balaclavas, but that doesn't make them all criminals because some people wear them to rob banks.

So...don't say it doesn't happen. 

Even genocidal Nazis used it as cover.

14 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

My point is simply that there are many reasons and situations where a cultural or religious practice from one region might be disallowed in another that would have nothing to do with human rights.

I'm not sure why I have to keep explaining this. It's pretty basic.

You must be one of those who don't consider the mandatory hijab in Iran a human rights issue.

44 minutes ago, Marocc said:

You must be one of those who don't consider the mandatory hijab in Iran a human rights issue.

I am one of those who do.  I would like to know your view on the issue, if you would indulge me.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I am one of those who do.  I would like to know your view on the issue, if you would indulge me.

I don't have my own view, but here:

"Those who oblige non-Muslim women to wear the abaya and cover up may be asked: have you obliged the women of your own country to do so? They will answer yes. They may be asked: Do you differentiate between a non-Muslim woman of one religion and a non-Muslim woman of another religion? They will say: No, we do not differentiate. And finally they may be asked: Does your religion enjoin you to do this? Their answer will be: Yes. 

Hence no one should criticize those who rule according to secularism or anything else for allowing non-Muslim women to go uncovered in their own countries, but those who rule according to sharee‘ah should not be blamed or criticized either. Secularism allows non-Muslim women to go uncovered, but the religion of Islam does not allow that, so the former allows them to do that and the latter does not. Hence wise people directed their blame and criticism to non-Muslim countries because they rule according to secularism yet despite that they ban the covering of the face, even though their own principles do not allow them to do that, let alone criminalize the woman who covers her face or those among her family who called her to do that or instructed her to do that. If that is not dictatorship or fascism or terrorism, then what is?"

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/151261/comments-on-the-ban-on-the-hijab-and-niqab-in-some-countries-and-the-ruling-on-non-muslim-women-being-uncovered-in-muslim-countries

Edited by Marocc

4 hours ago, Marocc said:

I hadn't thought about it much, but I suppose it would be more a woman's right issue. I'd support the women protesting against it over there on those grounds.

Would I support the wearing of a head scarf over here on those grounds. Sure in most situations, but I don't think it is a women's rights issue over here. I actually have nothing against head scarves myself. Those full face mask beekeeper outfits are a separate issue. I don't see any religious requirement for wearing them. Most of them look stupid, so it isn't fashion. Masking people is a dangerous precedent and can contravene laws,  rules or regulations. Personally I don't like them because they feel like they're marking territory and the people I've met hiding behind them have attitude problems, but that's just me.

Would you like an example so you can understand why I say that though?

Edited by Infidel Dog

Hmmm...now that you've got me thinking about it though, I suppose there is an argument to the idea that women's rights are human rights. 

And I suppose it does reference equality and being treated by the law equally is or should be a human right. On the other, other hand though, say requiring somebody working around certain types of machinery where loose fitting clothing might get caught and endanger a life would be neither woman or human rights issue and could be applied equally.

I don't know. Lots to think about.