Another sad reason to get rid of every pitbull.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that pitbulls make up 6% of dogs in canada and yet are responsible for 80% of the attacks. We don't need dogs like that running around. And if one was loose near me and kids were around , I would shoot it in a heart beat.

I thought that was the ratio for Golden Retrievers and Newfoundlands.

Bull dogs were bred to run bulls. People then thought you would get more tender meat, running them before slaughter, but that breed has been changed over the yrs to a sick, lazy, drooling dog.

Also why is no one refuting claims that Pitt Bulls account for an overwhelming number of bites causing death to humans?

Just because you refuse to read it, doesn't mean people aren't responding to it. There are several posts to that effect in this thread. I went into exhausting detail on post #101 and you just ignored it.

The most telling rebuttal is your own quote though:

Here's how Ontario defines a Pitt Bull

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/truth-about-pit-bulls

• Under the amendments to DOLA, pit bull is defined as:

• ï‚· A pit bull terrier

• ï‚· A Staffordshire bull terrier

• ï‚· An American Staffordshire terrier

• ï‚· An American pit bull terrier

• ï‚· A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics substantially

similar to any of those dogs.

They are counting any dog that someone thinks might look like a pit bull. As I already posted earlier in this thread, even animal handling professionals are extremely terrible at being able to successfully identify which dog is or is not a pit bull just by looking at it.

Seriously, go back to my post #71 and look at those dogs. You tell me which ones look like pit bulls to you?

What the Bulldog has turned into is a travesty. It's an example of how Victorian age breeding for aesthetics has turned many dogs into vile mutants.

The Standard English Bulldog has serious problems. Other variants of Bulldogs are much healthier. The problem with those is, as I've also pointed in this thread I've had encounters with), is when people see a proper healthy bulldog, they think it's a pit bull.

Easy to assign blame here: the mother of the child that was mauled terribly. The childs nose was bitten off.

A 14 month old kid cannot provoke a dog into a murderous rage.

The dog had a recent history of biting, specifically biting another child on the mouth.

Kill the dog, try to find some responsible parents for the poor child.

Yeah and when that dog attacks, it's funny and even kinda cute. When a Pitt Bull attacks people die.

Imagine the damage a Golden Retriever or Newfoundland, many multiples the size of a pit bull, can do. They are the killer breeds.

Imagine the damage a Golden Retriever or Newfoundland, many multiples the size of a pit bull, can do. They are the killer breeds.

Quite honestly, If I had to be attacked by one of them, the one I would least like to take on would be the pit bull.

Edited by bcsapper

Quite honestly, If I had to be attacked by one of them, the one I wouuld least like to take on would be the pit bull.

Why is that? Goldens' temperament is lethal.

Why is that? Goldens' temperament is lethal.

It's not the temperament, so much as the capability to do damage.

Although I do think the pit bull's temperament is the worst among dogs. Stats might not back me up on that, but I just don't hear so much about Golden Retrievers killing kids and other dogs.

It's not the temperament, so much as the capability to do damage.

Although I do think the pit bull's temperament is the worst among dogs. Stats might not back me up on that, but I just don't hear so much about Golden Retrievers killing kids and other dogs.

Temperament if properly understood say by a dog trainer is crucial in predicting the behaviour of dogs. With the majority of us without this training, we do not know how to read or understand how to use temperament as a predicator of behaviour.

A dog with a behavioural history of being calm and gentle could attack suddenly. It depends on the stressor triggering that behaviour. It could have a brain tumour that develops that causes it or a sore joint. It can't tell you it hurts so it lashes out. an abused dog may lash out no different than you or I would if someone tried to touch us.

Even the calmest of dogs will bite and lash out if they hurt and you touch them of if you ignore their body language and tone of growl.

With the so called pit bull, those with the big bull dog jaw, are known to clamp down then shake and rip like a shark to kill.

But that depends on who bred the dog, the line of their breeding and the size of their mouth.

Rottweilers, shepherds, wolve hybrids, huskies, akitas, all kinds of breeds can have very dangerous bite grips.

Actually Golden Retrievers one of which I have and Newfies, of some I have owned are extremely gentle but if a breed is popular the stats for its dog bites goes up because the more popular the breed, the more people have it, and therefore the odds of it biting go up.

An unpopular breed could be far more dangerous then a pit but no one would even know it since they would be rare.

There is a way to check the size of the mouth. You look to the side of the jaw and if it looks like it has a hinge or a square shape, like a bull dog it probably suggests a strong bite grip.

However staffordshire terriers can have that jaw and for the most part are a gentle breed.

You are far more likely to be bit by a husky or wolf hybrid.

i urge people to go on the web sites and read up on dog breeds and animal behaviour. The more you learn, the less fear you have.

Again I fully understand why some become frightened after dog attacks. Its called imprinting. The memory is imprinted in your psyche and is powerful. Its a primal mechacnism meant to trigger your survival but it can also lead to phobias and trauma syndromes-its important not to let the fear prevent you from moving past the feeling of helplessness. You are not helpless.

Proper education as to dogs will show you that.

Years ago I worked with a horse everyone said was bad and could not be trained. That horse befriended me when I was very young and going through a serious issue.. All I am saying is animals can surprise you especially some we write off as bad. Some sure have to be put down, but others...not so. I am just saying we need to take time when making the decision to put any life down.

Edited by Rue

A dog with a behavioural history of being calm and gentle could attack suddenly. It depends on the stressor triggering that behaviour. It could have a brain tumour that develops that causes it or a sore joint. It can't tell you it hurts so it lashes out. an abused dog may lash out no different than you or I would if someone tried to touch us.

Since any dog is an animal, they ultimately cannot be totally trusted. But nor can many people.

Actually Golden Retrievers one of which I have and Newfies, of some I have owned are extremely gentle but if a breed is popular the stats for its dog bites goes up because the more popular the breed, the more people have it, and therefore the odds of it biting go up.

Which one individual in either of those breeds was even slightly gentle. They are killing machines. Edited by jbg

The way to deal with this is to treat criminal responsibility the same as legal responsibility. If your dog bites someone you should get a garden variety assault charge. Same goes if you kid assaults someone.

I agree, but only if someone is clearly negligent, e.g., not having adequate fencing, allowing the dog to roam off a leash, training the dog to be aggressive.

Every one I know also attacks with its tail.

One of my closest friends has a pit bull that is completely careless with her tail. If she comes over to you, you better be sure to grab your scotch and cigar off the coffee table or they'll end up on the floor. Edited by cybercoma

Yeah and when that dog attacks, it's funny and even kinda cute. When a Pitt Bull attacks people die.

I hate people that think like you. People who own small dogs and think like this are the reason those small dogs end up getting mauled by bigger dogs. They become aggressive little idiots and bigger dogs won't hesitate to protect themselves and put the smaller dogs into check. Then the small-dog owner will whine and complain that the big evil pit bull was the aggressive one. The sad part is that the courts will usually agree because they don't take the time to learn a damn thing about animal behaviour.

A 14 month old kid cannot provoke a dog into a murderous rage.

I beg to differ. A 14 month old can certainly poke, prod, slap, and otherwise invoke a dog to aggression if not monitored closely. In fact, if I had a pit bull, I certainly wouldn't leave a 14 month old alone to play with it.

Not counting small dogs, which are almost invariably aggressive to a fault, the most aggressive dogs I've ever encountered in my life are Chow Chows and Akitas. There's not a lot of them out there because they're notoriously difficult to train, due to their stubbornness. Poorly trained, both Chows and Akitas can be viciously aggressive and territorial. They're also relatively large, so they can cause a lot of damage. I don't think they should be banned though, but I think there needs to be some system put into place so that dogs like this don't get into the hands of people who are not capable of taking care of them, training them, and handling them properly.

Not counting small dogs, which are almost invariably aggressive to a fault, the most aggressive dogs I've ever encountered in my life are Chow Chows and Akitas. There's not a lot of them out there because they're notoriously difficult to train, due to their stubbornness. Poorly trained, both Chows and Akitas can be viciously aggressive and territorial. They're also relatively large, so they can cause a lot of damage. I don't think they should be banned though, but I think there needs to be some system put into place so that dogs like this don't get into the hands of people who are not capable of taking care of them, training them, and handling them properly.

IMO You have a chance against a retriever, where a pitbull and it's jaw power, no such much.

The problem is that retrievers are even less trainable than Chows and Akitas. Given Retrievers' size and ferocity one barely has a chance against them.