Real Racism: Clippers Owner Bids GF to Avoid Blacks in Public

Players' personal lives can be brought into the picture, with morality clauses and so on, so the owners' lives should too.

Community standards of behavior are for everyone.

Players are the employee, Sterling is the employer.

News Conference today at 2pm EST. It's expected Adam Silver will suspend and/or fine Sterling but it's possible he's been canvasing other owners to see if Sterling can be muscled out. We'll see.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players' personal lives can be brought into the picture, with morality clauses and so on, so the owners' lives should too.

The league's agreement with its franchises allows it to levy punishments for conduct that's damaging to the league. That's their equivalent of a morality clause.

The league should apply the maximum fine. Sponsors have already pulled their support from the Clippers. Clippers players have asked him to stay away from Clippers games from now on, because they don't want to be seen associating with somebody like that in public.

-k

Nothing is going to change, it will be in the media for a short period, but what is going to happen, is the league going to take his team away,

Not take it away but they are going to fine him a million dollars today (reported)

No.....Are is players going to leave, NO i mean they already shown that they like their money to much....wearing shirts inside out.....thats scary , a huge statement " NOT" ....So yes the players got their feelings hurt, but they like their contracts to much to make change....

The problem is they cannot walk away without incurring huge fines and loss of pay.

But the coach has said he will not return next year if Al is still there.

Players will avoid even talking to Clippers brass for the short term unless this gets ironed out. Thats a huge problem for them.

Not take it away but they are going to fine him a million dollars today (reported)The problem is they cannot walk away without incurring huge fines and loss of pay.But the coach has said he will not return next year if Al is still there.Players will avoid even talking to Clippers brass for the short term unless this gets ironed out. Thats a huge problem for them.

Who's Al?

But he didn't sign a morals clause, so far as I'm aware. And he's not really a public persona, like a politician, say, or actor.

And where do we get off punishing people for what they say in private conversations? It's not like he did anything publicly to insult blacks. Apparently he knows how to behave himself in public.

Because the owners' group has no protocol or process for doing so. How would the current owner be compensated ? This ain't Cuba.

Exactly. As Mark Cuban said, it's kind of a slippery slope. He's completely against Sterling's sentiments, but at the same time has a problem with some of the so-called remedies. Also, it wasn't as though Sterling said these comments publicly. They were suppose to be private. Should we then make everyone's private feelings public? Is it also legal to record somebody without their knowledge and then release said conversation?

If I was an owner, as repugnant as Sterling's comments are, I would oppose the league cutting him a $500-$700 million cheque just to make him go away.

Whatever it cost to buy out the Clippers would probably be made back in selling to some other eager, egotistical billionaire.

Kimmy identified some punishments that can be meted out. The league could set up a protocol and standard for new owners moving forward.

Sure they could, but you can't do that retroactively. Major League Baseball already learned this lesson with the Cincinnati Reds (Marge).

In the U.S., you don't have to be a billionaire to say whatever you please.

Sure they could, but you can't do that retroactively. Major League Baseball already learned this lesson with the Cincinnati Reds (Marge).

In the U.S., you don't have to be a billionaire to say whatever you please.

Or get in trouble....

Well, that's too bad... I wish they could retroactively ban the team owner from NBA activity...

Oooops... looks like they think they CAN ~

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/us/clippers-sterling-scandal/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

(CNN) -- Basketball Commissioner Adam Silver slapped Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling with a lifetime ban from the sport and a $2.5 million fine Tuesday over racist remarks attributed to Sterling.

The NBA's constitution is secret, yet it does have clauses for embaraassing the league.

So it looks like they may push for him to sell the team, but yet, they may not have to.

The advertisors have fled the ship, stripping all logos and ads from the arena. The pricks pocketbook will diminish even further when staff flees and no one wants to re-up.

"Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has been banned for life by the NBA in response to racist comments the league says he made in a recorded conversation.

Commissioner Adam Silver said he will try to force the controversial owner to sell his franchise. Sterling has also been fined $2.5 million, and Silver made no effort to hide his outrage over the comments.

He said a league investigation found that the league's longest-tenured owner was in fact the person on the audiotapes that were released over the weekend."

Yes, what he was taped as saying is repulsive to most people - but - it was a private conversation, it was not meant for publication, it is not against the law etc. I just watched press conferences where every organization with an agenda piled on to this owner.

I thought that what he said was stupid but he had the right to say it privately. You cannot and should not condemn someone for what they are thinking. This is a very slippery slope when we fine and punish people for what they think.

His bigoted thinking is wrong. To punish someone for what they are thinking is worse.

Ok, when you were saying that "you can't" do that, were you anticipating that the NBA would try to do it ?

Yes....the NBA is in damage control mode while trying to keep the league playoffs front and center. Larry Johnson threatened to form an "all black" league. Others comment that the players were happy to take Sterling's "racist" contract salary and bonus money.

I thought that what he said was stupid but he had the right to say it privately. You cannot and should not condemn someone for what they are thinking. This is a very slippery slope when we fine and punish people for what they think.

His bigoted thinking is wrong. To punish someone for what they are thinking is worse.

Ill trust you see the problem

Ill trust you see the problem

I think I get your point. My belief is that the only people who you can be comfortable telling what you think is your lover. That has been proven a rich ground for news. I believe for that reason, in most democracies, a spouse cannot be forced to testify.

I still feel that this is over-kill and piling on at its worst. I guess lots of folks like to see rich, white guys get burnt.