Canada Has A Labour Skills Shortage – Maybe

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conversely I think a lot of employers in the trades aren't interested in supporting apprenticeship. They don't want to train people, they want to bring in fully-trained guys, preferably with multiple years of experience.

If the government is willing to train Filipinos, in the Philippines, at Filipino salary while they live at Filipino costs of living, then bring them over here to work as fully-ticketed tradesmen, they've given employers a handy way of cheaping out on the costs of traditional trades apprenticeships.

-k

Conversely I think a lot of employers in the trades aren't interested in supporting apprenticeship. They don't want to train people, they want to bring in fully-trained guys, preferably with multiple years of experience.

If the government is willing to train Filipinos, in the Philippines, at Filipino salary while they live at Filipino costs of living, then bring them over here to work as fully-ticketed tradesmen, they've given employers a handy way of cheaping out on the costs of traditional trades apprenticeships.

-k

Exactlly. Any business would prefer to use fully trained, skilled people, rather than go to the expense and bother of training them up themselves. This is where all these temporary immigration systems come in.

As far as I'm concerned, to any employer whining that he can't find a skilled employee, my answer is "Well, I guess you better go out of business then."

No sympathy here. None. You can always find employees. Anyone who says otherwise is full of crap. What can be hard to find is employees who will work dirt cheap. And again, no sympathy. That's how capitalism works. You don't like it, too damn bad.

Edited by Argus

-k

Then they complain because the workers can't read new detailed technical manuals in English, except the ones they were trained on.

FACT: Private sector employers always complain no matter what.

Why not use that training model for new immigrants instead?

Oh right! They'll want to bring their families and we don't want to pay for their health care etc!

:rolleyes:

Why not use that training model for new immigrants instead?

Oh right! They'll want to bring their families and we don't want to pay for their health care etc!

Why not on Canadians instead? Bringing in immigrants who are fully trained and experienced is just another way businesses avoid training people themselves. And the shambles our trades training is in wouldn't be allowed to continue if business couldn't keep filling their needs with immigrants, temporary or otherwise.

jacee, Most companies and a good deal of industriy train apprentices at zero expense. They get the cheap labour of the apprentice and get rid of them before they become journeymen. Very few still pay their apprentices to go to school. As a former employer of skilled tradesmen I've been in a position to know how the system was abused. I'll stand toe to toe with anybody who wants to debate those facts but I won't do it with lying swine who have no interest in improving the system but only an interest in spreading lies to increase profit of it's ilk.

Where's the expense?

Don't let the liars lie to you without holding their feet to the fire.

jacee, Most companies and a good deal of industriy train apprentices at zero expense. They get the cheap labour of the apprentice and get rid of them before they become journeymen. Very few still pay their apprentices to go to school. As a former employer of skilled tradesmen I've been in a position to know how the system was abused. I'll stand toe to toe with anybody who wants to debate those facts

All good info, monty.

You and I and Argus seem to agree. :)

but I won't do it with lying swine who have no interest in improving the system but only an interest in spreading lies to increase profit of it's ilk.

Where's the expense?

Don't let the liars lie to you without holding their feet to the fire.

Well I'm not going to take any of those insults as personal attacks on me, but if someone else does you may get suspended from the forum.

In future pls quote my post if you want a response. thx