Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean generalizations like "the left" are rude or "progressives" are insulting?

Do you consider it an insult if someone suggest you are on the left side of the political spectrum or a progressive? I don't generally mean them as insults unless I attach some sort of pejorative adjective.

Yes, it's a general insult of people who have trouble thinking straight.

But why do we care ? Is it interesting to have a forum that discusses "what is an insult ?". I don't think it is.

Let's say you post something to the effect that you like Justin Trudeau. And someone posts a response which is 'general'

"I have noticed that morons always love Justin Trudeau."

Is that a 'general statement' or an insult to you? You know very well it's meant as an insult to you, so it should be treated as such.

Do you consider it an insult if someone suggest you are on the left side of the political spectrum or a progressive? I don't generally mean them as insults unless I attach some sort of pejorative adjective.

No, but when you speak of "the Left" or "progressives", it's always to ascribe some generalized observation about how they are universally deficient in some way.

You know, like this:

See, this is the thing with progressives. They get offended by something you say, and then insult you for it. But it never occurs to them to ask where you got that from, or whether there might be truth in it. They think you're insulting some minority somewhere, and they immediately launch into insult mode.

In response, you are likely to say either "but my stupid generalizations are true!" or, alternatively, "you made the stupid generalization first, so I just responded in kind!"

Let's say you post something to the effect that you like Justin Trudeau. And someone posts a response which is 'general'

"I have noticed that morons always love Justin Trudeau."

Is that a 'general statement' or an insult to you? You know very well it's meant as an insult to you, so it should be treated as such.

You made a stupid general statement about Arabs and I made one about xenephobes. The subject of the thread was REFUGEES - xenephobes are perfectly reasonable way to address on a thread about Arab refugees. Look up the meaning and you'll see.

It was a general comment to which you resorted to calling me and my arguments *stupid, ignorant and lame*.

Quit playing victim. Look on my friends list and you'll see several banned lefties. The world is not out to get you.

Generalizations and catagorizing other posters make it easier to insult them. My observation is that while there are posters who have certain opinions which could generally be considered conservative in nature they also have some which could be considered progressive and vice versa. To deal with a category, it avoids dealing with the issue in contention.

There is also safety in numbers. There are some posters who are racists and are quite prepared to accept the "right" label because it gives racism and them some credibility as a trait of the "right". Racism, misogyny, xenophobia and intolerance are unhealthy personality traits. They have nothing to do with political positioning.

No, but when you speak of "the Left" or "progressives", it's always to ascribe some generalized observation about how they are universally deficient in some way.

You know, like this:

In response, you are likely to say either "but my stupid generalizations are true!" or, alternatively, "you made the stupid generalization first, so I just responded in kind!"

Yeah, so? It might have been a generalization but I certainly am not going to pretend it wasn't with reference to a particular person's behaviour.

You made a stupid general statement about Arabs and I made one about xenephobes.

Yes, but the difference was my statement wasn't meant to be insulting, merely a commentary on Arab culture, a true one, as I've demonstrated through cites. Your resonse was meant to be insulting because you didn't know that this was an aspect of Arab culture and got huffy at the thought I was saying something unkind about them.

The subject of the thread was REFUGEES - xenephobes are perfectly reasonable way to address on a thread about Arab refugees.

You've already admitted, despite earlier denials, that your 'xenophobe' comment was directed at me.

It was a general comment to which you resorted to calling me and my arguments *stupid, ignorant and lame*.

Well, to be fair, your arguments were stupid, ignorant and lame. But if you hadn't launched a personal attack on me I would have been more polite in how I said so.

Quit playing victim.

I didn't play the victim. You made a snotty reply, so I replied in a snotty fashion. You're the one who then came here to wail and moan about how mean I was being to you and call me more names.

I had a cousin once who liked to kick me in the ankle, and when I kicked her back she'd start crying and point at me and say I kicked her. You're reminding me of her.

Edited by Argus

It wasn't toward you, it was meant for effect. It showed the ridiculousness of saying 'x blames y' as a heaping generalization.

I don't know where you think I admitted it was at you, but if it's the quote you referred to earlier, you're sadly mistaken. There I was acknowledging that I responded *in kind* to your stupid statement.

I don't know where you think I admitted it was at you, but if it's the quote you referred to earlier, you're sadly mistaken. There I was acknowledging that I responded *in kind* to your stupid statement.

Why do you keep calling it stupid when I have already demonstrated through cites that it was entirely accurate?

And it was a response to a statement that Arabs blame the US for Muslim extremism, which meant it wasn't out of place.

Your comment, 'in response' was entirely out of place.

Oh no. Not at all, except that you call leftists and progressives idiots and morons, incapable of rational thought, saying they do nothing but throw around insults. So yeah, when you call someone a leftist, then suggest that all leftists are morons, it's called a thin veil.

All Xs are Y.

You are an X.

Therefore, you must be Y.

So don't sit here and pretend you're not even remotely part of the problem you're complaining about.

I stopped answering you yesterday but you keep dragging me back into this. I'm done.

I've said all I had to.

Yes _I_ keep dragging you back. You have no free will, ever the perpetual victim.

But others may have made generalized insults in the past, so he was just responding in kind. Don't you see?

I'm just expressing my frustration at wanting to have an intelligent discussion, but there being almost no one here capable of doing so.

I'm just expressing my frustration at wanting to have an intelligent discussion, but there being almost no one here capable of doing so.

The intelligent conversation starts with you, if you are willing to start it. Otherwise the rhetoric you dish out is what you will get back. Replying to it as a 'response' is not helping the situation, nor is it an excuse.

Like the mods say, report it forget it and don't respond.

Perhaps the frustration you feel comes from the fact people have given up engaging with you because they are elevated above the level of discussion you seem to like to engage in because of their capabilities. IOW, they don't wish to be insulted, or to insult.

Perhaps the frustration you feel comes from the fact people have given up engaging with you because they are elevated above the level of discussion you seem to like to engage in because of their capabilities. IOW, they don't wish to be insulted, or to insult.

Argus' replies are intelligent and witty.

Lot less ad hom than many, if not most of the other posters on here.

Who on this board do you believe "elevated above the level of discussion"?

Seriously, I'm interested in your answer.

Argus' replies are intelligent and witty.

Lot less ad hom than many, if not most of the other posters on here.

Who on this board do you believe "elevated above the level of discussion"?

Seriously, I'm interested in your answer.

No, he was more ad hom than many. He made sese from time to time, but when challenged he came out against those opposing his views with ugly junk like saying those who opposed him as..... idiots who can't see beyond the cloud of excrement coming out of their you know what... and such nonsense. If you disagreed you became an idiot. I don't see that as intelligent, or witty. Perhaps it appeals to you.

No, he was more ad hom than many. He made sese from time to time, but when challenged he came out against those opposing his views with ugly junk like saying those who opposed him as..... idiots who can't see beyond the cloud of excrement coming out of their you know what... and such nonsense. If you disagreed you became an idiot. I don't see that as intelligent, or witty. Perhaps it appeals to you.

I respectfully disagree.

Clearly though, even a courteous comment aimed in your direction is met with scorn and ad hom.