Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

C.A. has also locked a thread due to insults and trolling. Kind of funny since the definition of trolling seems to be completely arbitrary.

This thread is now over a year old, and I see little improvement.

It is a joke. He really thinks he's projecting he's the law-dog now. Whatever. I'll say again view the threads he's coming down on in.....and see who isn't participating in them......almost the only ones he doesn't.

What a joke. Wait this is probably thread drift.......suspension-ho!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Hardner, on 25 May 2015 - 2:16 PM, said:snapback.png

No I don't think that's more tasteful but let's get back to discussion rather than continuing to discuss the moderation.

So calling into question, with humor, the assumption that women are simply not capable of consenting to sex after drinking (which for most circumstances is clearly ridiculous). Or that any man who chooses to allow a woman to have sex with him, after she has been drinking, no matter how much she wants to, makes him a defacto rapist, and also in effect makes her desires irrelevant, is somehow more objectionable than a 9/11 conspiracy theory, debunked thousands of times mind you, that ultimately includes the USA murdering thousands of its own people. That from a poster who does nothing but attack the USA in the vast majority of his posts.

Well, if so, therein lies the problem.

I think if we're going to have open ended discussions where people are allowed to express themselves, then we should do that. We shouldn't arbitrarily end conversations because they're off topic (like anything here isn't) or edit someone's post because there's a swear word in it (words have meaning and people should be able to express themselves). We also shouldn't hide from offensive speech or offensive ways of making speech (dark humour for example). If we're going to start censoring everything, there isn't really a point to having discussions. I've been here a long time, and this recent change isn't positive at all.

Edited by Smallc

I think it's more complicated than simple censorship...the FHRITP thread demonstrates the potential for real backlash against certain language and behaviours that could invite unwanted attention and social media pressure to not only silence those points of view, but punish posters as well. Even an obscure web forum from southern Alberta (hosted in Texas) is not immune to such internal and external criticisms.

I think it's more complicated than simple censorship...the FHRITP thread demonstrates the potential for real backlash against certain language and behaviours

And that's a real problem isn't it? I suppose that's probably the issue, and I did consider that. That said, I don't feel that the language used was in any way promoting rape or making a joke of it. Obviously some differ in their interpretation.

And that's a real problem isn't it? I suppose that's probably the issue, and I did consider that. That said, I don't feel that the language used was in any way promoting rape or making a joke of it. Obviously some differ in their interpretation.

The irony is that biting humour and sarcasm has long been at the fore of social commentary for numerous issues and causes, many at least as significant or much greater than sexual assaults. But this is what it is...so one just moves on.

Social commentary that's dismissive of sexual assault and rape. The commentary itself is what's disgusting that you're using humour to make that commentary takes it to another level. You're both pathetic scumbags as far as I'm concerned. And Charles can go right ahead and ban me. I don't enjoy the company of filth like you two.

Do not misrepresent Michael Hardner's words.

Honestly, get over yourselves, shall we go back and review the time not so long ago when he misrepresented my words? It is you and he that sanction ludicrous conspiracy theories by allowing them and then at the same time ponder the legitimacy of questioning with humor the idea that women are not responsible enough to consent to sex while drinking, as if they were somehow lesser people than the men who apparently have all of the responsibility in that scenario.

There is a serious lack of consistency in the standards displayed here, and that is your fault, not ours. You are continuously allowing the mockery of the deaths of thousands by terrorists, but questioning a woman's ability to have responsibility for her actions is somehow offside. Perhaps it comes down to the things you believe in, i personally don't believe the USA killed it's own people on 9/11, I also believe that women can drink and choose to have sex, but opinions seem to vary.

Case in point:

Petition calls for boycott of Canadian venues booking Black Pussy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/petition-calls-for-boycott-of-canadian-venues-booking-black-pussy-1.3088058

But the band "Pussy Riot" is OK and to be cheered for bravery in Putin's Russia !!!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

You are continuously allowing the mockery of the deaths of thousands by terrorists, but questioning a woman's ability to have responsibility for her actions is somehow offside.

I really don't see an inconsistency there. The people who question 9/11, though they are wrong (in my opinion), tend to be very serious about the implications of what they believe happened. They are not "mocking" as per your assertion. If you believe it to be a mockery, and are therefore offended then you're actually giving a reason to not allow real acknowledged mockery on here.

Perhaps it comes down to the things you believe in, i personally don't believe the USA killed it's own people on 9/11, I also believe that women can drink and choose to have sex, but opinions seem to vary.

I welcome your discussion on these topics 100%.

I really don't see an inconsistency there. The people who question 9/11, though they are wrong (in my opinion), tend to be very serious about the implications of what they believe happened.

You think that I don't seriously beleive that a woman who is drinking is capable of giving consent?

So ? It doesn't make it any less offensive or "sensitive".

Being offended by an opinion is your problem. If I make offensive jokes about a serious issue, then that's a problem I am making in our discussion. I don't follow the logic that "I'm serious about this topic, that's why I'm being ungentlemanly and trying to offend a good number of people who may take part in the discussion".

Sorry.

Being offended by an opinion is your problem. If I make offensive jokes about a serious issue, then that's a problem I am making in our discussion. I don't follow the logic that "I'm serious about this topic, that's why I'm being ungentlemanly and trying to offend a good number of people who may take part in the discussion".

Sorry.

You are missing the point entirely...as it doesn't matter if I am offended or not. Save the sexist "gentlemanly" schtick for another era please...that only adds another ridiculous twist.

Save the sexist "gentlemanly" schtick for another era please...that only adds another ridiculous twist.

No kidding. So many baseless assumptions. Apparently this is the first time anyone has ever made a point with humour on this forum.