Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

That's actually nonsense. You do realize that, right?

Is that what trolling is?

Interesting nonsense. It is not nonsense it is common sense. I'll give you another example;

There are four confrontations among people. There is only one person who has been part of more than one, in fact that individual has been involved in all four. I would be investigating that individual as the cause. Who do you think is probably the cause? How would you handle the problem?

And please spare me the philosophical jargon.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where there goes the whole 'mods are lefty-lovers' narrative. Forever victims...

Lol

Ya that's a strange narrative here.

But I suppose if the mods are doing their jobs well, neither lefties or right is will be totally happy.

Every other time the message "You have received a warning" is accompanied by a suspension.

Hmh.

What computer platform are you using?

There are four confrontations among people.

What distinguishes a confrontation from any other repartee?

I may live in Montreal but I trust Alberta for diversity.

Canadians should be proud.

Very few land masses in our universe offer the opportunity to enjoy a drive a mari usque ad mare without interruption but for pit stops and common courtesy.

Interesting request. I would suggest you read Plato some day, and take a course in Logic. It might better inform you in how superficial and silly your examples and suppositions are.

Interesting nonsense. It is not nonsense it is common sense. I'll give you another example;

There are four confrontations among people. There is only one person who has been part of more than one, in fact that individual has been involved in all four. I would be investigating that individual as the cause. Who do you think is probably the cause? How would you handle the problem?

I think you should investigate it. It would give you something to do.

I mean, who knows what you might find out!!!

It certainly is nonsense. What if 'A' is standing up for himself and 'B' through 'D' are bullying him cuz he's gay? Is 'A' the problem because he keeps getting into confrontations?

Not if you're a Liberal MP. No debate...period!

I can understand the opposition. I don't agree with it. The Liberal party under Trudeau has taken the correct position, from my point of view.

I can understand the opposition. I don't agree with it. The Liberal party under Trudeau has taken the correct position, from my point of view.

You're missing the point. I don't agree with a lot of social conservative positions either. But that is a far cry from saying that discussing them, having a different opinion, is somehow illegitimate. People have a right to their opinion and to express that opinion, whatever it is.

But I clearly said that the debate can be had - I just wouldn't expect such a debate to be welcome in the Liberal party.

Nor here, to a lot of people, to bring it back on topic. Which is why they get offended and outraged and start attacking whoever has those opinions.

I think you should investigate it. It would give you something to do.

I mean, who knows what you might find out!!!

And you expect a future serious response from me to any question from you? I think that I would investigate anything that was important to me and to which I had access to all data. It is the mods who make decisions based on accumulated data and history. I do not have access to it. Do you?

I can can suggest some things that you could do.

I am sorry I wasted both our times. I will try to not do that in the future.

Edited by Big Guy

Interesting request. I would suggest you read Plato some day, and take a course in Logic. It might better inform you in how superficial and silly your examples and suppositions are.

Hey mods - here is a perfect example. I post messages that have nothing to do with this poster yet he jumps in trying to create another confrontation. I could reply "I suggest that your expertise probably focuses on Pluto and Mickey and certainly not someone an adult may read. I also congratulate you on starting to use big words like "superficial" and "suppositions". Be careful, superficial has little to do with the focus of your regular reading about Superman (comics) and I suggest that suppositions are not those things you stick into the part of your body which you appear to use for thought."

That would lead to a "hey folks cut out the personal attacks" and some posts would disappear.

When you allow that kind of trolling then you protect those who are creating your problems here.

Why don't you folks have a meeting and decide just how you are going to deal with this baiting?

It certainly is nonsense. What if 'A' is standing up for himself and 'B' through 'D' are bullying him cuz he's gay? Is 'A' the problem because he keeps getting into confrontations?

If that is the reason then of course there is an excuse. But if there is no other reason than being a jackass and baiting others into confrontations then removing A will negate future problems.

Why ask me?

You are the folks who interpret posts and decide if they are OK or require a warning or require a suspension. You tell me how you distinguish between baiting, trolling, retaliation and reacting?

There is one poster here who is involved in the vast majority of threads which have to be edited and/or which lead to warnings of personal insults. You know, I know who it is and if you kept stats (as I earlier suggested) then it would be proven statistically.

I know these "confrontations" are good for interest and get more to read and participate - but do not then pretend that you are trying to maintain some semblance of civility.

I have never reported a post and do not intend to do so. I would be more than pleased and/or prepared to enter into a verbal duel with any jackass who has tossed a verbal gauntlet at me as long as the duel was allowed to continue until that jackass was revealed. But your selective decisions as to what is baiting or response or trolling or insults end up protecting the jackasses from their due.

But, that is only one opinion from one poster but you did ask.

Edited by Big Guy

Hey mods - here is a perfect example. I post messages that have nothing to do with this poster yet he jumps in trying to create another confrontation. I could reply "I suggest that your expertise probably focuses on Pluto and Mickey and certainly not someone an adult may read. I also congratulate you on starting to use big words like "superficial" and "suppositions". Be careful, superficial has little to do with the focus of your regular reading about Superman (comics) and I suggest that suppositions are not those things you stick into the part of your body which you appear to use for thought."

That would lead to a "hey folks cut out the personal attacks" and some posts would disappear.

When you allow that kind of trolling then you protect those who are creating your problems here.

Why don't you folks have a meeting and decide just how you are going to deal with this baiting?

A little sensitive are we? You were posing theoretical (and logically unsound) suggestion about behaviour for the mods and I merely told you they were silly and suggested you investigate a course in Logic. I took a couple and found them quite interesting.

And by the way, do you honestly think there is a single person who has been reading all your "A and B" stuff who hasn't understood exactly who you were targeting? Subtlety is not your forte, so you should quit playing the innocent victim.

Edited by Argus

I am sorry I wasted both our times. I will try to not do that in the future.

Well, that's awfully decent of you, but I'm not going to hold you to it.

A little sensitive are we? You were posing theoretical (and logically unsound) suggestion about behaviour for the mods and I merely told you they were silly and suggested you investigate a course in Logic. I took a couple and found them quite interesting.

And by the way, do you honestly think there is a single person who has been reading all your "A and B" stuff who hasn't understood exactly who you were targeting? Subtlety is not your forte, so you should quit playing the innocent victim.

Not sensitive but honest. The issue was warnings, suspensions and their causes. I replied as to my opinion. Targeting? I think not. Profiling perhaps is a better term. If you feel that you are a troll and baiter then that is your opinion. Who am I to disagree with you?

My solution to the current problems with censoring and personal attacks here is to get rid of the baiters and agitators. I also suggested as to what method to use to identify them. I stand by it.

I am pleased that you took a course in logic. It may encourage you to do the homework I have assigned and then perhaps you will be able to argue rational positions and join the adults on this board in civil dialogue.

Perhaps not.

Well, that's awfully decent of you, but I'm not going to hold you to it.

I think it is more than decent, it is adult.

I could have replied in kind and escalated your "nonsense" with my opinion of your opinion of my opinion on baiting.

And I accept your apology.

I think it is more than decent, it is adult.

I could have replied in kind and escalated your "nonsense" with my opinion of your opinion of my opinion on baiting.

And I accept your apology.

Good. I can finally get some sleep.

What computer platform are you using?

Android

I get notifications/'warnings' with no problem.

(Some difficulty accessing details at times.)

But when I get the notification, I'm already suspended.

I was quite pleasantly surprised a while back to get a warning without a suspension. ?

But then I again got a suspension without a warning ... and without justification, imo.

No worries. Happy summer!

Oh ... when you're driving 'a mari usque ad mare' ... remember to thank and give respect to the Indigenous Peoples who allow us to live on their land. ?

Edited by jacee

Not sensitive but honest. The issue was warnings, suspensions and their causes. I replied as to my opinion.Perhaps not.

And I and others pointed out how faulty your logic was and remains. Apparently you feel highly indignant about this.

My solution to the current problems with censoring and personal attacks here is to get rid of the baiters and agitators. I also suggested as to what method to use to identify them. I stand by it.Perhaps not.

As I and others consider YOU to be a baiter and agitator, despite your continual bleats of innocent nobility, I see your 'suggestion' as self-serving drivel.

I am pleased that you took a course in logic. It may encourage you to do the homework I have assigned and then perhaps you will be able to argue rational positions and join the adults on this board in civil dialogue.

Perhaps not.

I'm just going to leave that there as its own commentary on the type of 'civil' and 'adult' dialogue you generally engage in.

Our modus operandi is simple:

1st infraction yields a warning

2nd infraction yields a 2nd warning with a threat of suspension for a 3rd infraction

3rd infraction yields a 1 day suspension

4th infraction yields a 1 week suspension

5th infraction yields a 1 month suspension

and then we lose count. We only have 2 hands each and 1 of them has to type.

---

Edited by AnthonyBlowsGoats

Really?

Yes. It is that simple.

SHORT VERSION: Do not make us repeat ourselves and respect your fellow members.

CAVEAT: Certain infractions lead to instant banning. Those instances are clearly spelled out in the forum rules and guidelines.

I get notifications/'warnings' with no problem.

(Some difficulty accessing details at times.)

Follow your Warning list/points hyper-link which is found under your name in your profile display.

Android

Alas, you may have to go back to using an old-fashioned computer. The forum is not designed for telephone communications.

Why ask me?
--- because I want to understand how you think. I think your suggestion is gravely wrong but I trust your intentions are right.

I want you to answer my questions so that I may express myself in terms that may convince you.

We are talking past eachother and I need to know your language. I am willing to put this extra effort into the conversation.