Quebec General Election 2014

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I suppose you have never lived in a large urban city?

I work in New York City and I live 40 Trudeau Units kms. from there. Is that a large enough city for you? Edited by jbg

Why would you want to import the hellhole conditions those people have fled from into Canada?

You haven't really defined what it is that makes you to be against multiculturalism. Naturally, we don't embrace honour killings,female circumcision etc, but there are plenty of other cultural elements of another country that we can embrace. Once we can do this, it breaks down racial barriers.

You haven't really defined what it is that makes you to be against multiculturalism. Naturally, we don't embrace honour killings,female circumcision etc, but there are plenty of other cultural elements of another country that we can embrace. Once we can do this, it breaks down racial barriers.

I embrace melting pot; leavens the country with the best of all cultures.

I embrace melting pot; leavens the country with the best of all cultures.

Well, that is your opinion of course. I like to keep an open mind and embrace other cultures. I have no problem with other nationalities practicing their traditions in Canada. In fact, there are many parades, festivals etc in BC that celebrate other cultures and their traditions. Why not allow other traditions in your home country and have a life that is exposed to the rest of the world? Why is wrong with that?

And it certainly makes life more fun and interesting when you can explore and learn about other people's cultures in your own home country.

Parades don't bother me. Burquas, Sharia courts and blind eyes turned towards family violence do. Edited by jbg

I've been lucky enough to live in some large urban areas far away from this continent and enjoyed myself immensly. I'm not kidding when I say a few of my favs were Baghdad (before America bombed the shit out of it) Khartoum, and Quito Ecuador. Of course those places have their troubles, but so do New York and Vancouver and Toronto. You just have to be smart and avoid the troubled places. I also always took to heart that I was a stranger in a strange land if you will. I don't expect it to be the white faced, white picket fence, homogenized place that many seek. Once you get that sorted it can be a great learning experience. And let's face it, us white folks are/have always been the minority in this world. Better to learn how to deal with that sooner than later.

Russel Peters has some great jokes to say about us whities being a minority. I won't repeat them here, but they are hilarious. I have eaten at an african restaurant, many years ago, can't recall where the owners were actually from, but we did eat without utensils and it was simply mind boggling and one of the experiences in my life that showed me there are other people in this world who are not like me and that is something to be enjoyed and explored and not to hide from or fight against.

Russel Peters has some great jokes to say about us whities being a minority. I won't repeat them here, but they are hilarious. I have eaten at an african restaurant, many years ago, can't recall where the owners were actually from, but we did eat without utensils and it was simply mind boggling and one of the experiences in my life that showed me there are other people in this world who are not like me and that is something to be enjoyed and explored and not to hide from or fight against.

He is a favourite of mine and I bet I have heard some of the stuff you speak of. And yes, my most rewarding experiences have come from mixing it up with the local people. Speaking of Africa, I recall getting bore in my UN provided house in a place called Lubango and so I walked up the hill to the little local community. Took me about a half hour to get there, and whn I did I knew I was the only whitie but it felt OK to me. I shopped a bit for some fruits and veg in the street market, some guy finally asked where I was from, ended up sitting by a large fire sampling skewers of bush meat, drinking a few beers, speaking the best Portugese I could muster and walked back down the hill. You just don't get those experiences on a sunflight tour.

He is a favourite of mine and I bet I have heard some of the stuff you speak of. And yes, my most rewarding experiences have come from mixing it up with the local people. Speaking of Africa, I recall getting bore in my UN provided house in a place called Lubango and so I walked up the hill to the little local community. Took me about a half hour to get there, and whn I did I knew I was the only whitie but it felt OK to me. I shopped a bit for some fruits and veg in the street market, some guy finally asked where I was from, ended up sitting by a large fire sampling skewers of bush meat, drinking a few beers, speaking the best Portugese I could muster and walked back down the hill. You just don't get those experiences on a sunflight tour.

Sounds like this should be a whole new thread! Multiculturalism!! Who is for it and against it here in Canada.