The border

Dream on. We all know the horror stories of American health care.

This thread is about the border....not health care. The border...the boundary between what is possible...and what is not. What a wretched curse to be chained up like a dog...across the border....for a belief in "free health care". Always...the border.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about the border....not health care. The border...the boundary between what is possible...and what is not. What a wretched curse to be chained up like a dog...across the border....for a belief in "free health care". Always...the border.

Canada is not North Korea. Sorry. And the Canadians' selfless help with our disasters are not the acts of "chained...dogs."

Those insults bring shame on the people of my country. Canadians and Americans are good neighbors, and welcome guests in each other's countries.

Canada is not North Korea. Sorry. And the Canadians' selfless help with our disasters are not the acts of "chained...dogs."

Those insults bring shame on the people of my country. Canadians and Americans are good neighbors, and welcome guests in each other's countries.

Relax...the other member and I were just having some fun. You know...like your bad jokes.

OK...so for these Canadian snowbirds, the border is a portal to warmer weather for 5 months? Golly! So versatile is the border...meaning so many different opportunities for so many people. No wonder they go nuts when it is closed or restricted.

Close the border, we go to Mexico. Too easy. We still get the beach, you lose the revenue.

How timely.....snowbirds will still be crossing that border:

The decline of the Canadian dollar is going to convince a lot of would-be cross-border shoppers to stay home, but travellers who go south to chase the sun will probably keep doing so, a report from TD Bank out Monday suggests.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lower-canadian-dollar-won-t-slow-snowbirds-1.2549090

Anyone have any other fun facts about the border? Geographically speaking, I mean.... Not the trollish posts attempting to denigrate Canadians.

The towns of St. Stephen, NB and Calais, ME that share, I believe, a fire department. And the best of all, these are pictures I took on a family vacation during July 2012. The pictures are of a a joint opera house and library, half in Stanstead, Quebec and half in Dorset, Vermont, and of an explanatory sign.

HaskellFreeLibrary-2_zps6aace912.jpg

BorderInsideHaskellLibrary-2_zps42ec85e7

The line down the center of the floor represents an indoor portion of the border. The next and final picture is an outdoor sign of the area around the border.

IMG_0101_zpsb7e3f899.jpg

Edited by jbg

Canada protects the border with Gatling guns:

If we mentioned illegal immigration, you probably wouldn’t immediately picture thousands of impoverished Americans streaming across the

Canadian border—yet, during the Yukon gold rush, that’s exactly what happened. This caused even more problems than you’d expect since, yet again, no one was sure where the border actually was. Since nobody cared about the Yukon until they found gold there, both governments had been content to ignore the issue. But nobody wanted to give up the lucrative routes to the gold fields, so things got fairly ugly quickly.

The Canadians sent a police detachment to claim the key town of Skagway, but they were forced to retreat after a mob of American prospectors threatened to shoot down the Canadian flag. The Canadians then moved to fortify the summits of the Chilkoot and White Passes. They dragged a pair of Gatling machine guns up the rocky trails, allowing them to effectively choke off the entrance points to the Yukon, only allowing those prospectors with over a ton of supplies to pass. The dispute wasn’t settled until 1903, when the British government sided with the American position and ceded the disputed territory to the US. This was seen as a betrayal by many Canadians and was a key moment in the movement towards an independent Canada.

http://listverse.com/2013/11/24/10-hilariously-bizarre-us-canada-border-incidents/

I gave you one below.

I have friends who live on "zero" avenue, if you know what that is. I have driven along there many times going to visit and I have joked a time or 2 about if I had to swerve for some reason or other and ended up off the south side of 0 what would the legal percussions be. I'm sure this has long since been thought out but it's my first border story that comes to mind.

I have friends who live on "zero" avenue, if you know what that is. I have driven along there many times going to visit and I have joked a time or 2 about if I had to swerve for some reason or other and ended up off the south side of 0 what would the legal repercussions be. I'm sure this has long since been thought out but it's my first border story that comes to mind.

I frankly find this emphasis on "border security" to be borderline stupid. I would prefer a seamless border, much the way Europe has, with all entry points being to "the U.S. and Canada."

There are already a significant amount of imports and exports that are similarly restricted. I do not support merger of the two countries, but easing or eliminating passport requirements and these ludicrous border checks would overall improve the quality of life in both countries.

I frankly find this emphasis on "border security" to be borderline stupid. I would prefer a seamless border, much the way Europe has, with all entry points being to "the U.S. and Canada."

There are already a significant amount of imports and exports that are similarly restricted. I do not support merger of the two countries, but easing or eliminating passport requirements and these ludicrous border checks would overall improve the quality of life in both countries.

I agree, but it is very doubtful that the USA will ever give up that much sovereignty to anybody, including Canada. It effectively removes one aspect of border security from their control and puts it in the hands of another country.

Aside from the optics of doing that, the USA has a massive security establishment and industry that has grown vastly since 9/11, and the investors in that business(public and private) won't want to cede any of it.

I agree, but it is very doubtful that the USA will ever give up that much sovereignty to anybody, including Canada. It effectively removes one aspect of border security from their control and puts it in the hands of another country.

Aside from the optics of doing that, the USA has a massive security establishment and industry that has grown vastly since 9/11, and the investors in that business(public and private) won't want to cede any of it.

I hope you're wrong, and that at some inevitable photo-op among our leaders they announce a reform of this senseless policy.

• 1 month later...

The Americans get constantly ridiculed how they never leave their own country. Very often those who ridicule the Americans for that fail to realise that the US is a size of a continent and even if you stay within the US it is possible to travel more extensively than Europeans within Europe within 15-20 countries.

I live in Finland which is of a geographic size smaller than about half of the US-states. Yet, the only foreign trips I've ever had have been to the neighbouring Russia. I've never bothered to visit Sweden or Estonia which are also next door.

Anywhere further afield is an absolute no no as I have a terrible fear of flying.

So if anyone deserves to be called a yokel it is not those Americans who never leave the US but me.