Neil Young rocks the tar sands

jacee

I like it better as a Neil Young ranting-as-usual thread. He's been doing it for years, like this....complete with American cloaking device when it suits his purpose:

Neil Young’s “Let’s Impeach the President”:

Let’s impeach the president for lying
And leading our country into war
Abusing all the power that we gave him
And shipping all our money out the door

He’s the man who hired all the criminals
The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors
And bend the facts to fit with their new stories
Of why we have to send our men to war

Let’s impeach the president for spying
On citizens inside their own homes
Breaking every law in the country
By tapping our computers and telephones

What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government’s protection
Or was someone just not home that day?

Let’s impeach the president
For hijacking our religion and using it to get elected
Dividing our country into colors
And still leaving black people neglected

Thank god he’s cracking down on steroids
Since he sold his old baseball team
There’s lot of people looking at big trouble
But of course the president is clean

Thank God

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is pretty much what we have.

interesting... you feel there is some 'middle-ground' occurring today under Harper Conservatives? Clearly, you have no qualms with Harper Conservatives absolute alignment with industry, with their unwillingness to address Canadian emissions, with their omnibus tactics to gut existing environmental protections, with funding shifts away from monitoring and regulatory focused groups, with shuttering the National Roundtable on the Environment and Economy (NRTEE), with labeling anyone opposed to pipelines as "enemies of the state", of "streamlining" the National Energy Board process, etc., etc., etc..

Documents reveal pipeline industry drove changes to 'Navigable Waters' act

When the Harper government included a radical overhaul of the Navigable Waters Protection Act in the last omnibus bill, outsiders scratched their heads and wondered out loud where that idea had come from.

Documents obtained through the Access to Information Act show it came, in part, from the pipeline industry.

I can't say too many nice things about the CPC government but, I am glad that they listened to this guy and took action to measure, control and stop dangerous pollutants.

you're mixing your 'conservative' governments... provincial (Alberta) versus federal Harper Conservatives. Certainly Schindler must be elevated and recognized for his decades body of work, persevering against all government comers. I suggest we reserve judgement on just what that new environmental monitoring agency looks like... and delivers... when the Alberta government honors it's pledge to create the new "arms-length" body sometime later this year.

you're mixing your 'conservative' governments... provincial (Alberta) versus federal Harper Conservatives. Certainly Schindler must be elevated and recognized for his decades body of work, persevering against all government comers. I suggest we reserve judgement on just what that new environmental monitoring agency looks like... and delivers... when the Alberta government honors it's pledge to create the new "arms-length" body sometime later this year.

No. The feds (environment Canada) got involved just as Schindler requested:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-canada-launch-joint-oilsands-monitoring-system-1.1150338

Alberta's Rob Renner kept his head bussied in the tar sands:

"The Alberta government continued to insist the contamination is from natural bitumen. "If we had never set foot in the region, those kinds of results would still be there," Alberta Environment Minister Rob Renner said in response to the Schindler study."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/david-schindler-1.936809

"But the internationally respected researcher confessed he was jolted by the depth of outrage and skepticism that greeted his 2010 oilsands study, starting with then Environment minister Rob Renner, who initially dismissed it.

But two politicians, former federal Environment minister Jim Prentice and former premier Ed Stelmach, stood out, Schindler recalled.

“I got a phone call from Prentice’s office. He wanted to talk, so we met at the international airport in Edmonton and we talked for two hours.”"

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Renowned+researcher+Schindler+retires+from+University+Alberta/9104250/story.html

It's just a start - but the CPC deserve credit for thier action.

Which is pretty much what we have.

Pretty much, except for the omnibills the Conservatives steamrolled through Parliament with little debate and public awareness, so that they could remove environmental regulations and oversights that the oil industry didn't like. We clearly shouldn't get rid of one of our most important industries, but to use a metaphor, making money by crapping where we eat is short-sighted and clearly a problem. We are somewhere in the middle, but every year Harper is in power we move closer and closer to one side.

I love how some people go up to bat for these polluting corporations even though they have 0 to gain and a lot to lose. It's like they don't understand that it doesn't matter if the oil is being taken out of Canada or Mozambique, they will never see any financial gain from this company.

Meanwhile, we're polluting our fresh water, land, killing wildlife while contributing to the negative effects on the environment. Is this how we should show love to the future generations? Here you go, son, daughter, nephew, niece and every child who will be living in the aftermath of what we're responsible for.

No. The feds (environment Canada) got involved just as Schindler requested:

It's just a start - but the CPC deserve credit for thier action.

no - now you're mixing the provincial led initiative/agency I referred to... the so-called arms-length provincial monitoring body slated to come forward later this year (provincial wide... inclusive of the tarsands) and that federal/provincial joint initiative (focused on the tarsands) suggested to be "3 years" away. The Alberta government is continuing with its monitoring intent for the tarsands, regardless of what form that purported joint initiative arrives at and delivers... the Alberta government claiming the joint initiative is 'consistent' with its own tarsands monitoring pursuit. I'm not sure what cudos you're actually trying to throw Harper Conservative's way... other than a Peter Kent photo-op, particularly since the joint initiative won't have independence... independent oversight, I will absolutely reserve judgement given the under-handed tactics and actions previously taken by Harper Conservatives, particularly the "muzzling" of federal scientists by Harper Conservatives.

I love how some people go up to bat for these polluting corporations even though they have 0 to gain and a lot to lose. It's like they don't understand that it doesn't matter if the oil is being taken out of Canada or Mozambique, they will never see any financial gain from this company.

Meanwhile, we're polluting our fresh water, land, killing wildlife while contributing to the negative effects on the environment. Is this how we should show love to the future generations? Here you go, son, daughter, nephew, niece and every child who will be living in the aftermath of what we're responsible for.

absolutely! It's a self-serving, "living for yourself, for today", mentality!

Apparently you don't know what royalties are? Just a hint....they help you pay less tax.

I'm not sure anyone would argue that we should write social policy based on the political opinions of an elderly rocker.

Guess again!

I just came across this poll.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/14/neil-young-oilsands-comments_n_4597793.html

According to this poll, a majority of Albertans side with Neil Young's message!

WWWTT

Invoking Hiroshima was completely insensitive. He should not have done that. It's tough to take him seriously with that kind of hyperbole coming out of his mouth.

we've had this point played out in a previous thread. Young clarified his analogy was strictly with respect to the landscape look.

Electric motor is way more efficient in using energy than an internal combustion.

Young drives an old Lincoln that weighs around 3 tons.

It is not an electric car, it's a hybrid that is powered by a biodiesel.

You could have one too if you had about one million dollars, which is reputed to be the cost of designing/building the vehicle.

If it was an actual electric car, it would have a range of about 300 meters(hyberbole font engaged) with that much weight.

I like it better as a Neil Young ranting-as-usual thread. He's been doing it for years, like this....complete with American cloaking device when it suits his purpose:

Neil Young’s “Let’s Impeach the President”:

Let’s impeach the president for lying

And leading our country into war

Abusing all the power that we gave him

And shipping all our money out the door

He’s the man who hired all the criminals

The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors

And bend the facts to fit with their new stories

Of why we have to send our men to war

Let’s impeach the president for spying

On citizens inside their own homes

Breaking every law in the country

By tapping our computers and telephones

What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees

Would New Orleans have been safer that way

Sheltered by our government’s protection

Or was someone just not home that day?

Let’s impeach the president

For hijacking our religion and using it to get elected

Dividing our country into colors

And still leaving black people neglected

Thank god he’s cracking down on steroids

Since he sold his old baseball team

There’s lot of people looking at big trouble

But of course the president is clean

Thank God

Whats the problem?

Did he say something not factual about Bush?

He took a lot of heavy shit and abuse when he did the Waging Heavy Peace tour and album.

Didn't stop him nor should it, or does he not enjoy the right of free speech in Amerikkka?

Whats the problem?

Did he say something not factual about Bush?

He took a lot of heavy shit and abuse when he did the Waging Heavy Peace tour and album.

Didn't stop him nor should it, or does he not enjoy the right of free speech in Amerikkka?

There is no problem...it's Neil Young doing his Neil Young schtick like he has since the 1960's. Hell, I posted his lyrics here for all to read. This American wannabe should enjoy his rights to the fullest, just like I enjoy mine. You gotta problem with that ? Mr. Young doesn't...making lots of money in evil "Amerikkka".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Young drives an old Lincoln that weighs around 3 tons.

It is not an electric car, it's a hybrid that is powered by a biodiesel.

You could have one too if you had about one million dollars, which is reputed to be the cost of designing/building the vehicle.

If it was an actual electric car, it would have a range of about 300 meters(hyberbole font engaged) with that much weight.

Ya I found that out later.

If he was pushing an completely electric car, then what he was saying would make sense, But some kind of bio crap???

This Neil guy is starting to sound more and more spun!

WWWTT

Pretty much, except for the omnibills the Conservatives steamrolled through Parliament with little debate and public awareness, so that they could remove environmental regulations and oversights that the oil industry didn't like.

Not entirely. Seems to me if there were no rules the oil industry would already be building pipelines in BC instead of talking about it and going through negotations and hearing for the past year or more. And the Tories have always believed the provinces should be looking after resources since the constitution gives them control over them.

You have any idea how much the economy relies on the oil and gas industry? How many jobs are involved? How much economic activity they generate, not to mention how much in taxes?