Why Canada's liberals are terrified of Fox News

Hold on a second a former CNN exec, disses Fox news...I fial to see the big deal here, it would be like me an SFU student after graduation dissing UBC...i really have no grounds to make such comments, and am obviously biased in my preferences. I agree lets call a spade a spade, and start with Mr. Turner.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may find it amusing to joke of the burning of books. I do not in this context. You may not be aware (perhaps you are somewhat illiterate) that you are giving your heartfelt applause to the people who are continually attempting to ban various books in the US. Banning is as bad as burning.

Turner is decidedly wrong about Bush. Dubbya is no Julius Caesar.

When there is danger or service to the country in dangerous areas required, Bush goes AWOL. Caesar goes to the front.

The Funny thing though, I have not yet heard of Fox calling down the liberal media......

You're just being funny right? 

Nope. I've yet to hear of any Fox personalities compare Turner or any other left-wing media moguls to a Stalin type character.

Anyone who thinks Fox would be successful in Canada is a f#cking idiot.

I'd love to see Fox in Canada. From the outside looking in it's a clear demonstration of rightwing propaganda and most Canadians would be able to see that.

About 20% of us would be whoopin' it up with Bill O'Reilly and Coulter. The rest would be further vacinated against the basic dishonesty that pervades rightwing influences.

Anyone who thinks Fox would be successful in Canada is a f#cking idiot.

Then why is it here?

Is Canada Ready for Loudmouth TV?

Considering Fox's political baggage -- and the protectionist streak that runs through Canadian cultural debate -- this has all transpired with amazingly little fuss. After eight years on air, Fox has established itself as the greatest threat to American liberalism since Newt Gingrich, provoking a tide of hostile books, magazine articles, newspaper columns and even a documentary film south of the border. Walter Cronkite, the legendary CBS anchorman, has labelled it a "far-right-wing organization," while Al Franken, the Saturday Night Live comic-cum-radio host, featured it in a bestselling book Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. But when the CRTC invited comment on bringing the channel to Canada, fully 85 per cent of the 600 respondents voiced support. A few domestic broadcasters objected for competitive reasons, and a handful of critics on both sides of the border wrote in complaining that Fox is biased. But on the whole, Canadians seem unafraid to add a nakedly partisan presence to the dial.
I'd love to see Fox in Canada. From the outside looking in it's a clear demonstration of rightwing propaganda and most Canadians would be able to see that.

About 20% of us would be whoopin' it up with Bill O'Reilly and Coulter. The rest would be further vacinated against the basic dishonesty that pervades rightwing influences.

As I mentioned above, I'd be very intrested to see the Canadian TV ratings for the last two weeks. IOW, since FOx has been up here.

IMR, it seems that the recent CBC program bashing Fox and namely O'Reilly has registered with Fox. During tonights mail reading segment of the Factor, when confronted by a Canadian viewer that mentioned the recent CBC smear, Bill reponded by saying that the CBC will be dealt with on tommorow nights Factor. (I checked the Factor's website and it doesn't mention tommorw's program yet....So I guess we will have to stay tuned!)

By the way, IMR, have you noticed the recent wave of Canadian letter writers? I'd guess-ta-mate it at about 20% of letter writers.......me thinks I have to fire one off after tommorows show.

Bill reponded by saying that the CBC will be dealt with on tommorow nights Factor

I hope O'Reilly takes the high road and attacks the CBC and not Canada or Canadians in general, which once in a while he has done.

I like the caption on the website: "Candian TV Takes Aim at Bill".

Let me know how it goes Stoker.

IMR, have you noticed the recent wave of Canadian letter writers?

I've never seen the show, but have written letters based on their website info. They even posted one, after editing it. :angry:

As I mentioned above, I'd be very intrested to see the Canadian TV ratings for the last two weeks
The ratings right now, while the station and shows are relatively new, are not important by themselves. It will be interesting to see in 6 months and 1 year if they remain high or if they drop or even get higher.

Turner is decidedly wrong about Bush. Dubbya is no Julius Caesar.

When there is danger or service to the country in dangerous areas required, Bush goes AWOL. Caesar goes to the front.

:lol: Ya that's why he's running from Iraq... oh wait that's just because he's "an idiot"... no wait an "evil genius"... no wait a "war monger"... no wait he's just a "puppet". Make up your minds :rolleyes: And a note to the new troll. You might want to watch and learn from the other anti-Bushites. They at least show a little bit of an effort to hide their irrational hate, although the vitriol escapes now and then.

IMR, it seems that the recent CBC program bashing Fox and namely O'Reilly has registered with Fox. During tonights mail reading segment of the Factor, when confronted by a Canadian viewer that mentioned the recent CBC smear, Bill reponded by saying that the CBC will be dealt with on tommorow nights Factor. (I checked the Factor's website and it doesn't mention tommorw's program yet....So I guess we will have to stay tuned!)

By the way, IMR, have you noticed the recent wave of Canadian letter writers? I'd guess-ta-mate it at about 20% of letter writers.......me thinks I have to fire one off after tommorows show.

Ya I'm planning on tuning in to it tonight. I have noticed that they have been having a Canadian segment of emails, most positive. Many of them seem to say "Bill you weren't as bad as I heard". I already fired one off for the show.

I hope O'Reilly takes the high road and attacks the CBC and not Canada or Canadians in general, which once in a while he has done.

Newfie, I think Bill won't attack Canadians as he has in the past. But Newfie, why not attack Canadians? You are the minority. Most Canadians don't like Americans, our government publicly insults the United States, and our news is so anti-American it's laughable. You know generally Canadians hate Americans, that's why they wear the maple leaf everywhere.

Nope. I've yet to hear of any Fox personalities compare Turner or any other left-wing media moguls to a Stalin type character.

Your original statement was:

The Funny thing though, I have not yet heard of Fox calling down the liberal media......

If you're going to backpedal, be careful you don't trip.

it seems that the recent CBC program bashing Fox and namely O'Reilly has registered with Fox.

How exactly was the Fifth Estate's program "bashing" or a "smear"? I didn't see it, so what exatlcy was the problem?

Most Canadians don't like Americans, our government publicly insults the United States, and our news is so anti-American it's laughable. You know generally Canadians hate Americans, that's why they wear the maple leaf everywhere.

It's probably safe to say the majority of Canadians don't like Bush and his government's policies, they don't like U.S.-style politics, they don't like militarism and find vulgar expressions of nationalism to be rather tacky. But to say "most Canadians don't like Americans" when they are our biggest trading partner, when Candians are hooked on U.S culture (such as it is), when you'd not find many who'd have bad things to say about indivudal Americans, well, it's a stupid thing to say.

Me, I've travelled into the States a fair bit and like Americans and I like what America stands for. It's just dissapointing to see a country fail to live up to its potential and get hijacked in the worst way.

Here's the show info:

Canadian TV takes aim at O'Reilly

I like the caption on the website: "Candian TV Takes Aim at Bill".

Let me know how it goes Stoker.

I'll be sure to Newf. :D The good, the bad and the ugly ;)

Most Canadians don't like Americans

According to a poll by the Associated Press used by O'Reilly himself, IMR, 80% of Canadians have a favourable opinion of Americans, while 18% have an unfavourable opinion of Americans.

I would suggest that if the question was "do you have a favourable opinion of the American government", it would be lower.

our government publicly insults the United States
There have been incidents that I can't argue with. However, American trade policies have done little to diffuse anti-American sentiments. Or can that be a "Chicken and the Egg" argument? ;)
that's why they wear the maple leaf everywhere
I fly the Maple Leaf and have a little Maple Leaf pin in my hat because I'm proud to be a Canadian, not because I am or am trying to prove I'm anti-American.
I'll be sure to Newf. The good, the bad and the ugly

Thanks Stoker. :)

Here's an itresting story on the conflict brewing between the CBC and Fox News:

Bringing on the Fox News Canadian Bureau

I feel this part sums up my views of Fox News:

"Fox News may lean conservative in terms of its editorial content, but its news programming is more balanced, interesting and unique than anything else in the media," Marsden says. "The hosts of the various current affairs programs are honest about where they stand ideologically, yet they don’t let their politics get in the way of letting guests have their say. The audience is left to form its own opinion as a result of hearing both sides of an argument in a live, uncensored, unedited format. The same, unfortunately can’t be said of the CBC, or of many other media outlets."

Marsden, a public relations affairs and communications strategist, columnist and talk show host, who has worked in politics and media on both sides of the border, gives Fox top rating.

That's funny: Marsden's name is the first one that comes to my mind when I think of "unbalanced" too!

The summary of Rachel's qualifications neglected to include "convicted stalker, known liar and kook who Photoshops her head onto Julia Roberts' body on her web site".

Honestly: between Coulter, Marsden and the Free Press, is theer any wackjob the right wing won't accept with open arms? I mean, I'm sure there's some scizophrenic homeless people out there who have some opinions: why not quote them, since they have as much credibility on media bias as the rogue's gallery above?

(Actually I take that back: I'd hate to insult the mentally disabled and homeless by comparing them to Ann Coulter.)

In any case, only a complete naif would believe that here's no idealogical bleed betwen Fox's punditocracy and their "news" division. A cursory look at the number of Republican operatives and right wing think-tank advocates the populate FoxNews' excutive ranks should tell you that.

It's a fact of lif ethat the media will always have a certain amount of balance. From the corporations who own the media, to the advertisers who pay th ebills, he editors who make the decisions on down to the reporters who prepare the copy a certain amount of bias is bound to seep in.

What's sets Fox apart, however is that its bias is uniformly pro-Bush, pro-republican and anti-liberal.

According to a poll by the Associated Press used by O'Reilly himself, IMR, 80% of Canadians have a favourable opinion of Americans, while 18% have an unfavourable opinion of Americans.

I would suggest that if the question was "do you have a favourable opinion of the American government", it would be lower.

I don't know Newfie, I just don't believe it. Especially considering 1/3 of Canada is French Canadian. It's not what I see here in Calgary and this is the most Americanized city in Canada. I just run into lots and lots of Canadians who hate Americans.

I don't know Newfie, I just don't believe it. Especially considering 1/3 of Canada is French Canadian. It's not what I see here in Calgary and this is the most Americanized city in Canada. I just run into lots and lots of Canadians who hate Americans.

I personally don't hate "Americans" I just hate what the American culture is brainwashed into believing. Now not all Americans are brainwashed idiots, but their culture certainly speaks for the fast majority of them.

I thought the show was decent all in all. Bill had on as guest for the Canadian segment a Professor from the University of the Okanagan and Rachel Marsden.

What was covered was the inherit bias of the CBC on making a program about bias in the American media......ohhhhhh the irony.......which was illustrated with clips from the 5th estate program, namely how the American right was portrayed as the bully with clip[s of Bill yelling and screaming and how the left was the victim with clips of Al Franken blubbering.

Also, the Canadian Prof brought up how the CBC is starting to run scared with the arrival of Fox News due to it's popularity and the CBC's falling ratings. (No suprise)

The Canadian Prof explained how the CBC's audience needs to be reasured that we (as in Canadians) are better then Americans constantly and how we are genrealy more polite as a people (this is done by constent American bashing). The Canadian prof explained that he thought there wasn't much of a difference between Americans and Canadians and Bill's "retort" was that he was 100% sure that all Canadians are more polite then he. ;)

To be honest, nothing a Canadian that is following the mater would already know, the segment was more of an explanation to the American people that the CBC is an agit prop machine, but thankfully most Canadians don't pay attention to it...........

I though it was well done.

I've a question Black Dog, who do you turn to for your news?

I tend to steer clear of TV news, as the format doesn't lend itself to real anysis, but McNews. I like the online editions of UK papers the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post. I also scour blogs for links and articles from across the world.

Incidentally I caught the tail end of the rebroadcast of the Fifth Estate in question. Not enough to really coment on but enough to chuckle at Ann Coulter and Marsden getting schooled.

What was covered was the inherit bias of the CBC on making a program about bias in the American media......ohhhhhh the irony.......which was illustrated with clips from the 5th estate program, namely how the American right was portrayed as the bully with clip[s of Bill yelling and screaming and how the left was the victim with clips of Al Franken blubbering.

Also, the Canadian Prof brought up how the CBC is starting to run scared with the arrival of Fox News due to it's popularity and the CBC's falling ratings. (No suprise)

So in other words, they didn't actually do anything to dispute or contradict the CBC's position on FoxNews's bias.

I tend to steer clear of TV news, as the format doesn't lend itself to real anysis, but McNews. I like the online editions of UK papers the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post. I also scour blogs for links and articles from across the world.

Isn't the NY times the paper that had the reporter making bogus stories up? Didn't the Washington post have a editor that admitied to being racially biased (Milloy something)? WRT the LA times {see} Terri Schindler-Schiavo .

And you call into question the reliablity of Fox News :rolleyes:

Isn't the NY times the paper that had the reporter making bogus stories up? Didn't the Washington post have a editor that admitied to being racially biased (Milloy something)? WRT the LA times {see} Terri Schindler-Schiavo .

Re WaPo: columnist Courtland Milloy admitted he was racially biased according to a test developed by a Harvard psychologist to detect hidden, deep-seated, "implicit" bias (th epoint being that everyone who took it was biased). And I've never forgiven the NYT for not sacking Judith Miller, the fraudster who breathlessly parroted the Bush admin's false Iraq WMD charges.

So you see, I never said I accept the views of these outlets as gospel, nor do I treat these sources (which, as I pointed out, are but a few of many that I look to) as unimpeachable.

The most interesting thing about CBC's FoxNews expose was the study which revealed the increased likliehood that FoxNews watchers harbour false impression about teh Iraq war and 9-11 (as showcased by campus radio host Marsden's floundering).

By the way, as I've done you the courtesy of answering your question, why not answer mine:

How exactly was the Fifth Estate's program "bashing" or a "smear"?

By the way, as I've done you the courtesy of answering your question, why not answer mine:

How exactly was the Fifth Estate's program "bashing" or a "smear"? 

In a Micheal Moorish fashion. They cut and obviously spliced video tape of Bill O'Rielly to show him in an infavroable light, well showing Al Franken as a victim of the harsh ways of the right...........The piece with Al Franken crying was dreadfull, and unfortanlty, most CBC viewers will likley eat it up.

Added to the Fact that the CBC film makers interviewed Rachel Mardsen for over an hour on the topic of Fox News, yet only showed the part of the interview when she was asked about "past personnal scandels". What do potential past personnal mistakes that she might have made when she was younger, have to do with Fox News and it's introduction to Canada?

I'd also wonder if the same tactics were used on Coulter and the former CBS employee..........

They didn't seem to mind giving face time to both Al Franken and Phil Donahue.

Come to think about it, I don't think they intervied a single person from Fox News in the entire piece.......But in my view portrayed Coulter and Mardsen (in a Moorish fashion) as such.