Rogers takes Bell out to the woodshed regarding NHL rights

Boges

Currently those Regional channels blackout those games anyway, so you need Centre Ice if you want to watch them currently. Apparently with this new deal all regional games will be national on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. So if the regional games are on the other days of the week you're still S-O-L.

I thought there were no regional blackouts anymore at all?

One could argue, so is being a sports fan.

Sure, if someone wants to spend money they can't afford to watch sports, that's their business. I'm just saying, this sin't going to be a better deal for people long term. But then I'm a cheapskate when it comes to this stuff.

That Sportsnet World (used to be Setanta) channel is a ripoff. I sometimes see Rugby or Cricket that I might be interested in watching but then see it's on Sportsnet World and am like UHHH NO!!! It's like $14. You get the best EPL games on TSN and Sportnet already.

And you can't even get much in the way of non-EPL games (I want to see more Bundesliga matches, but I'm sol there).

I thought there were no regional blackouts anymore at all?

Sure there is. You see a Canucks game on Sportsnet Pacific and try to watch, you get a CP24 like graphics screen, no game. Now under this new deal many of those games won't be blacked out.

Those regional channels are only really good for watching different NFL games on the 4pm timeslot and Timeshifting.

Then again 2 weeks ago there were 4 UEFA World Cup qualifying games on at the same time, Sportsnet put a few of those games on the regional channels, available to all.

And you can't even get much in the way of non-EPL games (I want to see more Bundesliga matches, but I'm sol there).

Yep, you're SOL. Internet FTW.

Edited by Boges

So it looks like the CBC is going to be in a bit of trouble over this deal.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2013/11/20131127-170305.html

OTTAWA — The Prime Minister's Office has slammed the door on any bailout for the CBC to make up for lost advertising revenue from hockey broadcasts.

"CBC already receives significant taxpayer funds," PMO spokesman Stephen Lecce wrote in an e-mail. "We believe they can operate within their existing budget."

Rogers Communications announced Tuesday it has gobbled up the rights to NHL games in Canada for the next 12 years in a $5.2-billion deal.

While the CBC will still carry many games, it won't get any Hockey Night in Canada advertising revenue.

According to a 2012 Friends of Canadian Broadcasting analysis, losing hockey would cost the Crown corporation around $200 million a year.

In the spirit of making lemonade out of lemons I wonder if this is actually the best opportunity we will ever have to make women's professional hockey a real spectator sport. I believe this sort of attempt to level up women's hockey would be well in line with CBC's public service mandate. At least insofar as they do not just decide to get out of sports altogether (which I know many people argue they should).