Conservative Budget Surplus

brian66

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just watching Senate finance on C-Pac by internet and I think the surplus is going to come from taxes. The feds are closing up more tax loopholes and they are definitely going after the rich, which I said they would have to do because the low and middle-earners are disappearing. I'm not finance wiz, but they are talking farmers with more than farming jobs with a income, life insurance policy, especially 8/10 policy, which will bring them 260 million in taxes. Something about capital gains were one paid 50%, now will be 100% income. They must to desperate for money to peeve off the high incomes.

Guest Derek L

I'm sure it's buried under some Gazebos in Ontario somewhere. Or perhaps in the account from which Nigel Wright made out Duffy's cheque.

Are you suggesting the "cheque" came from taxpayers and not Nigel Wright's own resources? Rather bold statement........And I thought the Parliamentary protected Duffy was cheeky….

Guest Derek L

I was just watching Senate finance on C-Pac by internet and I think the surplus is going to come from taxes. The feds are closing up more tax loopholes and they are definitely going after the rich, which I said they would have to do because the low and middle-earners are disappearing. I'm not finance wiz, but they are talking farmers with more than farming jobs with a income, life insurance policy, especially 8/10 policy, which will bring them 260 million in taxes. Something about capital gains were one paid 50%, now will be 100% income. They must to desperate for money to peeve off the high incomes.

No, it’s a move in part with the coming tax credits and income splitting…….a vaccination if you will from future cries by the political left that the next round are Bush style tax cuts that favour the rich only.

Can you tell me where you are getting the 300 billion Plus since 2008? The CBC article below shows that as being quite a bit lower.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/canada-deficit/

Well without going into depth with how budgets are forward projected, this means all debt incurred is not just for the fiscal year in question.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/canada-deficit/

We have an easy 200 billion various other programs, and bonds put that over 300 billion. If you have time I can go more into depth on all the spending you don't think about that exists. As well as spending that is being defered to future years but is being paid into now and that money really doesn't exist now except for those programs but is being spent anyway creating a greater burden on the future costs which is in effect spending tomorrows money today. It just isn't transparent to the uninitiated. Its a bit like how the Conservative Government viewed the F35 as a 9 Billion dollar purchase for super jets without engines and no additional costs to fly.

Program costs are not all costs, and the consolidated revenue fund aint just for programs. This years budget is not this years budgets there are also future projections which are costs that arent realized but budgetted for. You buy 40 billion dollar ships today you are spending 40 billion dollars today you just arnt paying until tomorrow. That is still debt you are creating for the public even if it isnt on everyones tax radar yet, you are paying for it and you will be paying for it.

You need to think proactively about the real costs. Selling 10 billion of GM stock means you don't get that revenue from dividends, but you need to question what costs more dividens or interest on debt? If you are making more of the dividens why not pay the debt interest with the dividens. Is it just to look good for an election year? What is the real cost in ROI bearing the weight of assets and liabilities ... ask yourself what costs more.

Say GM shares pay out 1.5% per year what is the interest rate on the bonds annually?

say GM peg in a $40 a share and the pay out is 60 cents per share you can see how that roi is rational that it will take a long time to see return on those but they are creating revenue something the government has wrongly depended on taxation for for the last 100 years. They need to keep the revenue streams and convert tax payer funds into revenue streams. They need to cut costs so that they don't pay money they don't have and they don't need to tax people to pay it.

It may make sense to cash out of GM but if you are going to build ships why not buy shipyard shares where you are pumping 40 billion dollars into for ROI on the investment because its like taking a percent of your investment. None the less it still defeats the premise of lowering costs. Selling assets is not lowering costs, it is buying time. While deflation must be done sensibly it should not be faked by selling assets like GM and the CBC and pretending you are a houdini of budget control. Its not even balancing the budget anymore its balancing the deficit.

Sure the GM stock may only be 100 million of revenue each year which may be small fries for big government but it is revenue the government needs to maximize ROI and stop depending on taxes to pay its bills.

Edited by AlienB

Are you suggesting the "cheque" came from taxpayers and not Nigel Wright's own resources? Rather bold statement........And I thought the Parliamentary protected Duffy was cheeky….

that's not what I said at all, but it's interesting that your first assumption is that it was taxpayers' money. Sounds to me like you're working overtime to convince yourself there was no wrongdoing by the party.