Cost of the PM New York adventure

Topaz

The bill for PM going to New York recently is $65,582.91 and some are saying that cost is shared with the CABC,Canadian America Bussiness Council, and the cost for the Maternal organization that the PM gave money too. The NDP say they taxapyers should have to pay anything on this. Since the PM was also there to get support for the Keystone XL pipeline, should the G&O industry share in this expensive? Paying over $6000.00 for coffee is very expensive coffee. Thoughts? http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-s-keystone-xl-sales-pitch-at-nyc-event-cost-taxpayers-1.1498874

perhaps money well spent... if only to hear Harper, yet again, push a false, trumped up TransCanada Keystone jobs number... to hear Harper, yet again, pump up the so-called "ethical oil" nonsense... to hear Harper project upon a (U.S.) need that doesn't exist anymore... to hear Harper rally the Keystone cause which, in light of rail transport and alternate Enbridge/TransCanada pipeline alternatives, isn't warranted anymore... and, of course, to hear the paper tiger roar with his "won't take NO for an answer" bellicose! :lol:

Talk about nitpicking. So waldo any experince with pipelines, since you seem to know it all?? Pipelines are great for a local economy, I know I live 5 miles from one and never had a problem with the pipeline. But yet what it did for the local economy can't not flick off by the anti-everything group. And harper is right it will be built, to many americans are all for it, both dem and repub, it is just the anti-everything crowd that is doing all the BS. It also helps to get local kids off the couch and learn something that will actually help them in the future.

Sounds like a pretty good deal - especially as the CABC is picking up part of that cost. It's important that Canada project itself in a positive manner in the US - and Harper does that really well. At last year's session, more than one US attendee said they wished they had someone as knowledgeable as Harper leading the country. Pushing Maternal Healthcare is a signature Canadian initatiative that deserves to be highlighted - if only to drive awareness of what's needed in the world today. As for the XL Pipeline, it happens to be an important issue for Canada's economy and for US energy security - and over two-thirds of Americans agree. So again, it deserves to get heard above the shrill cries of the minority. Money well spent.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Talk about nitpicking. So waldo any experince with pipelines, since you seem to know it all?? Pipelines are great for a local economy, I know I live 5 miles from one and never had a problem with the pipeline. But yet what it did for the local economy can't not flick off by the anti-everything group. And harper is right it will be built, to many americans are all for it, both dem and repub, it is just the anti-everything crowd that is doing all the BS. It also helps to get local kids off the couch and learn something that will actually help them in the future.

if knowing more than you makes me one of your "know it all's", I'll defer to your assessment! :lol: Not sure what your emphasis on "local" has to do with an international focused pipeline, one with contents intended, ultimately, not for the U.S.; rather, one intended for contents to be exported to Asian markets.

It's important that Canada project itself in a positive manner in the US

ya ya, perhaps you should revisit some of that Yankee press coverage that seemed somewhat taken aback with Harper's, "won't take NO for an answer" posturing!

As for the XL Pipeline, it happens to be an important issue for Canada's economy and for US energy security - and over two-thirds of Americans agree. So again, it deserves to get heard above the shrill cries of the minority. Money well spent.

no - the ethical oil BS is exactly that! Of course, you project the false talking point that KXL is actually intended for the American market! Point in fact is that, at present, Americans don't need it - something about fracking! Simply stated, the GOP/TeaParty blusterBusExpress, fueled by vested fossil-fuel interests, has been manipulating the U.S. echo chamber. You know, more of your kind of money "well spent"!

if knowing more than you makes me one of your "know it all's", I'll defer to your assessment! :lol: Not sure what your emphasis on "local" has to do with an international focused pipeline, one with contents intended, ultimately, not for the U.S.; rather, one intended for contents to be exported to Asian markets.

Pipelines travel thru communities ,in case you did not know. And those communities will bennifit from that pipeline going thru. It does not matter where that oil ends up, bvut I have doubts of the stories that it all will be shipped off. We just had our meetings with trans canada, over one of the lines near me, to switch it over to oil, and nobody has any problem with it, even the natives groups around here are on board..

Lets go back a few years and find out how much all chretiens trips to china cost.He made so many trips and it did not bear much fruit. And where does chretien spend alot of time?? in china. And I would like to know did he set up his retirement business over there with comrade strong on our dime????

The bill for PM going to New York recently is $65,582.91 and some are saying that....

Money well spent.

====

I happen to think that every citizen should receive a letter indicating the use of their tax payment. For example: "You paid $14,317 federal tax last year. Stephen Harper went to New York in October. Your $14,317 paid for his wife's limo/security during her 5th Avenue shopping excursion and return to the Pierre."

Uh, I also think that we should vote on the same day that we pay taxes. IOW, we should write a cheque for all our taxes on (for example) 15 October, and then vote - on October 15th.

IMHO, the true measure of a civilized state is not voter turnout - but whether its citizens pay taxes.

Edited by August1991

atrocious. trying to read this is like hearing nails on a chalk board.

Oh no the grammer police are out. Do me a favour and stay out of my threads and take a pill, going thru life that grumpy and hatefull can't be any fun.

Money well spent.

====

I happen to think that every citizen should receive a letter indicating the use of their tax payment. For example: "You paid $14,317 federal tax last year. Stephen Harper went to New York in October. Your $14,317 paid for his wife's limo/security during her 5th Avenue shopping excursion and return to the Pierre."

Uh, I also think that we should vote on the same day that we pay taxes. IOW, we should write a cheque for all our taxes on (for example) 15 October, and then vote - on October 15th.

IMHO, the true measure of a civilized state is not voter turnout - but whether its citizens pay taxes.

Making that up?? Because I am sure that is not what she is into, not like the previous 1st ladies we have had.

Why is this the case where people complain about a small 65 Gs? Yes it is a lot of money. But what about the million, billions being wasted on things like the F-35 program with NO results as of yet? What about the possible hundreds of thousands perhaps millions of dollars wasted in parliament members cooking the books on their expenses?

This is small potatoes and really not a big deal. As I said, I've been to company functions that cost more than this trip Harper took.

Why is this the case where people complain about a small 65 Gs? Yes it is a lot of money. But what about the million, billions being wasted on things like the F-35 program

Less than a billion, and every cent has been returned to the Canadian economy.

Why is this the case where people complain about a small 65 Gs? Yes it is a lot of money. But what about the million, billions being wasted on things like the F-35 program with NO results as of yet? What about the possible hundreds of thousands perhaps millions of dollars wasted in parliament members cooking the books on their expenses?

This is small potatoes and really not a big deal. As I said, I've been to company functions that cost more than this trip Harper took.

Why? Because it keeps the eye off of the real corruption, like the dalton gang. And we have spent billions on the F-35? And again a couple million wasted by senators also gives the media more excuses not to report on the real billions of dollars wasted by the dalton gang and of course the media party obseession on bringing down the government.

Why? Because it keeps the eye off of the real corruption, like the dalton gang. And we have spent billions on the F-35? And again a couple million wasted by senators also gives the media more excuses not to report on the real billions of dollars wasted by the dalton gang and of course the media party obseession on bringing down the government.

I am under the impression that these small things are leaked out to distract from the real money that is missing or being used inappropriately. I do think that these things need to be brought to light, but it's chump change, even compared to the expenses scandal which many are rightly so discussing.

To me it is systematic and completely on purpose. I think we agree here.

So our government wasted more money on security at the G20 some years ago than they are spending on new military aircraft?

We haven't spent any money on buying the aircraft yet, so, yes...and that actually came in far under budget (the G20 security).

Making that up?? Because I am sure that is not what she is into, not like the previous 1st ladies we have had.

I don't even know if she accompanied him. But whatever...

Less than a billion, and every cent has been returned to the Canadian economy.

This kind of stupid economic reasoning irritates me to no end. By your logic, if Stephen Harper sends me a cheque for $5 million (because of my blue eyes) and I spend the money in Canada on a new house, this will "return the money to the Canadian economy" and "create jobs for Canadians".

It is by such naive pronouncements that politicians take money from poor people and make other people (with blue eyes) rich.

----

If Canada really needs new military aircraft, then the federal government should buy the best planes/helicopters at the best price. End of story.

Edited by August1991

We haven't bought any planes. We've helped to pay for (a very small part) of the development. This means that Canadian companies have been able to bid on contracts, and those contracts have a total value worth more than we invested.

This means that Canadian companies have been able to bid on contracts, and those contracts have a total value worth more than we invested.

Smallc, you still don't get it.

When you buy light bulbs or a pair of socks, does it matter to you where they are made - other than an indication of quality? Does it matter to you whether your money goes to someone in China, Bangladesh or Ecuador?

Yet for some strange reason, it apparently makes a big difference to you if your money (tax or otherwise) goes to another Canadian.

Edited by August1991

The bill for PM going to New York recently is $65,582.91 and some are saying that cost is shared with the CABC,Canadian America Bussiness Council, and the cost for the Maternal organization that the PM gave money too. The NDP say they taxapyers should have to pay anything on this. Since the PM was also there to get support for the Keystone XL pipeline, should the G&O industry share in this expensive? Paying over $6000.00 for coffee is very expensive coffee. Thoughts? http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-s-keystone-xl-sales-pitch-at-nyc-event-cost-taxpayers-1.1498874

I don't know in other circles people may have thought some other Columbia drug was being purchased.

I don't know, is he really that important, is the PM actually allowed to do anything?

If he is that important why not send someone else who isn't important. Its not like the security could stop anything anyway at a mere $60,000 oh that was for the entire trip... well look at Obama's multi millilon dollar trips.

1. Waste of money, but maybe just maybe people care about his opinion so maybe that appearance will leverage to more than 60,000 in returns. I dunno. Will it have ROI?

If a $17 orange juice bought by someone from North of the arctic circle is an issue, a $6000 business coffee by a world leader should be. And if we hear a sample wasn't flown back to Michner for chemical analysis and electron spectroscopy before it was drunk or atleast taste tested by the security detail, prior to being reheated in a microwave brought for the occasion we need to seriously question if the money was well spent.

Apparently some rare earth metals you don't get in other coffees. Is that one cube of platinum or two?

Coffee with a rich aftertaste.

Edited by AlienB