Edward Snowden

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gimme a break.

That's his treasonous crime? And this justifies a world-wide manhunt? He "broke the terms of the contract"?

Is there any evidence of that? And what information does he possess - other than the information that the US federal government is collecting lots of information on American citizens.

----

No, that's just one angle that I thought hadn't been mentioned yet. But you seem to be asking if there's any evidence that he broke the terms of his contract. Do you really think anyone working for the CIA or sub-contracting doesn't have to sign a non-disclosure document?

Aside from that, releasing the state secrets that he did is treason. Now, one may be against the government collection of this data, but that's a different issue. And if Snowden is willing to release what he did, there is no telling what other documents and state secrets he collected. His moves in this chess game reveal that he planned this out far in advance. His press releases show an attempt to manipulate his public image.

And what information does he possess - other than the information that the US federal government is collecting lots of information on American citizens.

Well, he probably has specifics about what information was being collected, how it was being analyzed, and so forth. But I agree with your point. They weren't giving Booz Hamilton contractors the launch codes, or operational information, or lists of undercover agents operating in other countries. These contractors have a clearance called "Top Secret, Compartmented", and their "compartment" was analyzing surveillance information.

I doubt that the Russians or Chinese really need tips from Edward Snowden on how to run a wiretap.

-k

Guest American Woman

Doesn't sound as if Snowden is guaranteed asylum in Ecuador by any means. Evidently he's still at the Russian airport, and he may be running out of options.

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa said on Saturday the United States had asked him not to grant asylum for former U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden in a "cordial" telephone conversation he held with U.S. Vice President Joe Biden.

Correa said he vowed to respect Washington's opinion in evaluating the request.

"When he (Snowden) arrives on Ecuadorean soil, if he arrives ... of course, the first opinions we will seek are those of the United States," Correa said.

A leftist economist who received a doctorate from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, Correa denied he was seeking to perturb relations and said he had "lived the happiest days of my life" in the United States.

http://news.yahoo.com/biden-spoke-ecuadors-correa-snowden-white-house-180538899.html

Chris Hayes, for as sensational as he can be, raises an excellent point. How come some leaks are pursued with criminal prosecution and others aren't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcL5_VGmgE

I think we should talk more about this. Surely informing the terrorists that we're watching them adapt their tactics is just as dangerous a leak as telling the terrorists that we were spying on them in the first place?

Shouldn't the guy who leaked that information be in the cell in Guantanamo right next to the one they have picked out for Snowden?

And why didn't that withered old piece of crap on CNN get the Snowden treatment when he told the world that Valerie Plame was a CIA undercover agent?

-k

Guest American Woman

Shouldn't the guy who leaked that information be in the cell in Guantanamo right next to the one they have picked out for Snowden?

There's a cell reserved for Snowden in Guantanamo??

:rolleyes:

And why didn't that withered old piece of crap on CNN get the Snowden treatment when he told the world that Valerie Plame was a CIA undercover agent?

-k

This was by far a more dangerous revelation than what Snowden revealed. I think we all know why Snowden is being gunned after so hard. His revelation attempts to wake Americans out of their stupor by telling them that their government is spying on them, as well as the "bad guys." The risk to "security" is the risk of upsetting the status quo. Despite the fact that an informed population is necessary for democracy, the absolute last thing the American government wants is an informed population.

-k

And to paraphrase a line from Lee Camp, Cheney shot a guy in the FACE and the guy apologized for traumatizing Cheney's family.

The outing of Plame was political and timed with the WMD claim about Iraq.

Guest American Woman

Looks like Ecuador is digging their heels in on this one!

http://rt.com/news/ecuador-trade-usa-snowden-374/

Good to see some countries stand up to US idealism!

Just seeing this for the first time -

Just so you know what you're cheering on, Ecuador is the poorest country in Latin America; it's not "Ecuador" that you're referring to here, but the president. The people don't want Ecuador to give asylum to Snowden. They are the ones who would be hurt. In fact, there's concern that the damage has already been done.

Before people put their anti-American enthusiasm front and forward, perhaps they should consider those most affected. I would think one's concern should ultimately be for the people.

"We can't put the interests of 14 million Ecuadoreans at risk because of a 29-year-old hacker whom we don't even know," Descalzi said. "This gentleman doesn't mean anything to us."

The business impacts of the Snowden affair have infuriated Ecuador's main business groups, who accuse the government of putting ideology before commerce.

http://news.yahoo.com/ecuador-flower-growers-snowden-shock-072605949.html

This doesn't surprise me at all, and in fact I've been waiting for it. I'm sure it's part of the reason the president is now singing a different tune.

Edited by American Woman

And to paraphrase a line from Lee Camp, Cheney shot a guy in the FACE and the guy apologized for traumatizing Cheney's family.

The outing of Plame was political and timed with the WMD claim about Iraq.

Once again you don't know what you're talking about. Valerie Plame was leaked by Richard Armitage, not Cheney, and not because of Iraq.

Wanna bet? Cuba tops list for Snowden's final home - beats out Ecuador (8-1), Russia (8-1) and Iceland (16-1)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/wanna_bet_odds_are_final_that_cuba_htcgBeDwh8zYSdmu3uqIuO

Cuba was listed as the favorite for no other reason than Snowden booking himself on a Havana-bound plane from Moscow but mysteriously skipped that flight yesterday, according to William Hill.

I still read several sites coming out of Cuba, and the general opinion there is that Snowden might very well be contemplating the Island as his "final" home. It would make some sense in that he'd much closer to the US. I don't know how his Spanish, Chinese, or Russian is, but a very large percentage of the population in Cuba speak fluent english. The Cuban government would LOVE to be able to stick that in the US' face too.

Once again you don't know what you're talking about. Valerie Plame was leaked by Richard Armitage, not Cheney, and not because of Iraq.

Those two separate sentences were not related. I know it was Armitage who outed Valarie Plame.

Do you have any idea what YOU are talking about?

Edited by GostHacked

so... nothing at all to do with Cheney's request to the CIA to investigate "claimed" Iraqi enriched "yellowcake" uranium purchases from Niger?... nothing at all to do with CIA (then covert) agent Plame recommending her husband (former ambassador Joe Wilson), travel to Africa to investigate the "claim"... nothing at all to do with Wilson's NYT editorial, "What I Didn't Find in Africa", countering the yellowcake uranium claim put forward by Bush in the 2003 U.S. State of the Union speech?... nothing to do with "supposed" pay back for Wilson's criticism of the Bush administrations fabricated claims in the run-up to the illegal U.S. invasion of the sovereign country of Iraq? None of that factored into leaking Plame's identity? If none of that factored..... then, per your implication that you know what you're talking about, why was her identity leaked?

Guest American Woman

Wanna bet? Cuba tops list for Snowden's final home - beats out Ecuador (8-1), Russia (8-1) and Iceland (16-1)

I still read several sites coming out of Cuba, and the general opinion there is that Snowden might very well be contemplating the Island as his "final" home. It would make some sense in that he'd much closer to the US. I don't know how his Spanish, Chinese, or Russian is, but a very large percentage of the population in Cuba speak fluent english. The Cuban government would LOVE to be able to stick that in the US' face too.

There could be a good reason why Snowden wasn't on that flight to Cuba, and it could very well be that Cuba doesn't want him. It would certainly set back relations between the U.S., and Cuba, and after stating in 2006 that it wouldn't accept any more U.S. fugitives, including political, Cuba may not think giving him shelter is worth the set-back in U.S.-Cuba relations that would surely result from such an move.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/06/25/why-cuba-might-not-be-safe-for-snowden/

so... nothing at all to do with Cheney's request to the CIA to investigate "claimed" Iraqi enriched "yellowcake" uranium purchases from Niger?... nothing at all to do with CIA (then covert) agent Plame recommending her husband (former ambassador Joe Wilson), travel to Africa to investigate the "claim"... nothing at all to do with Wilson's NYT editorial, "What I Didn't Find in Africa", countering the yellowcake uranium claim put forward by Bush in the 2003 U.S. State of the Union speech?... nothing to do with "supposed" pay back for Wilson's criticism of the Bush administrations fabricated claims in the run-up to the illegal U.S. invasion of the sovereign country of Iraq? None of that factored into leaking Plame's identity? If none of that factored..... then, per your implication that you know what you're talking about, why was her identity leaked?

Her identity wasn't "leaked." She was outed by Richard Armitage in an interview with the late Bob Novak.

Her identity wasn't "leaked." She was outed by Richard Armitage in an interview with the late Bob Novak.

when is leaked... not outed? But Shady, you used the word "leaked"... I quoted it!!! Make up your mind.

in any case, notwithstanding your syntactical reach, your reply focused on the WHY? You didn't answer the WHY? Why Shady, why was her identity leaked outed?

Edited by waldo