Conservatives renewing

Sometime in the Fall, the Conservatives will have their convention but in the mean time Harper is going to replace ministers with new faces. That will be a change the but problem is Harper himself and the only way for the Conservatives to get back in the polls, in my view, is for Harper to retire. They need a new leader because there are few within the party don't like the control freak in the PMO. Besides that, many Canadian want him gone and of course, the saying, watch what you wish for it just might happen... we could get.someone just like him or worse. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/stephen-harper-looks-to-woo-disenchanted-tories/article12758615/

Everybody on the left wants him to retire. lol Harper does not have to leave , he has done a great job. Every goverment has it's trouble makers and harper is not one of them .He is not arrogant like chretien , nor angry like tom or a flake like trudeau. He has acted very civil, just because the media party says something about him does not make it true, they know they can fool gullible people and they have. It is time to reboot and come back even stronger. The funny thing about it , if he was that bad you and the others would want him to stay. LOL

.... but problem is Harper himself and the only way for the Conservatives to get back in the polls, in my view, is for Harper to retire. They need a new leader...

Sorry Topaz and Cybercoma (and Chantal Hébert), it ain't gonna happen.

Furthermore, in all likelihood, Harper will remain in 24 Sussex after 2015.

Why? Do the numbers.

Harper, in poll numbers, is at his core support of 30%. The NDP/Trudeau Jnr camps will split the anti-Harper vote. And the more they become shrill (and go "Topaz/Cybercoma"), the more a few undecided will shift to Harper.

With added seats in Tory rich areas, and Toronto's immigrant suburbs ignoring politics and primarily looking at their family's bottom line, the numbers for defeating Harper are not there. He needs about 38% to win a government.

Edited by August1991

Everybody on the left wants him to retire. lol Harper does not have to leave , he has done a great job. Every goverment has it's trouble makers and harper is not one of them .He is not arrogant like chretien , nor angry like tom or a flake like trudeau. He has acted very civil, just because the media party says something about him does not make it true, they know they can fool gullible people and they have. It is time to reboot and come back even stronger. The funny thing about it , if he was that bad you and the others would want him to stay. LOL

Agreed. I haven't seen anything anywhere from actual conservatives saying they want a leadership review. All of this is being pushed by the left with no basis in fact. IMO they are dreaming and Aug.91 is right, we'll see one more term for Harper, then my guess is it will swing back to the Liberals.

Sorry Topaz and Cybercoma (and Chantal Hébert), it ain't gonna happen.

Furthermore, in all likelihood, Harper will remain in 24 Sussex after 2015.

Why? Do the numbers.

Harper, in poll numbers, is at his core support of 30%. The NDP/Trudeau Jnr camps will split the anti-Harper vote. And the more they become shrill (and go "Topaz/Cybercoma"), the more a few undecided will shift to Harper.

With added seats in Tory rich areas, and Toronto's immigrant suburbs ignoring politics and primarily looking at their family's bottom line, the numbers for defeating Harper are not there. He needs about 38% to win a government.

Shrill? Really, August? I don't actually believe Harper will be replaced any time soon. My comment about Jason Kenney was a joke.

Well, I think this time, if the Tories don't drag in Pierre Poutine, for help, voters are more angry with the Tories and even some Tories are angry. I'm sure the Tories are going to come back in the next session trying to be nice guys but one can't be something one's not. Governments like Harper is why many people are turn off to politics and that's why guys and parties like Harper can get elected. I think you'll see more people vote this time around especially anyone born after 1958 and put back the changes to CPP and EI.

Topaz, the problem is that Mulcair and Trudeau are thus far uninspiring. A lot can change during a campaign. It's impossible to say anything at this point.

Oh, I can say it, but if it happens is another thing. Also, didn't Harper come out nowhere?? Harper can't win with just support from the West and its really only 3 provinces, it would have been four but he's peeved off people because of the closing of Coast Guard centers.in BC

Indeed!

The Liberals have desperately tried to portray Harper as a monster .for years. But their "crying wolf" strategy proved ineffective long ago, is worn out, silly, and fooling no one - well, maybe other Liberals believe it. If Harper or Mulcair were to leave they'd certainly have a lot better chance.

As long as the LPC choose their leaders for their "charm" rather than their ability, the CPC and NDP have little to worry about. The Liberals are trying to become the governing party by luck rather than hard work - "buying" Trudeau was just like the average Joe buying a 6/49 ticket. Basically, they are weak with little to offer.

Everybody on the left wants him to retire. lol Harper does not have to leave , he has done a great job.

Great job? Big government, getting bigger!

Since the Conservatives took power, the federal public service has added 60,000 jobs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/06/27/f-vp-chris-hall-conservative-convention-stephen-harper.html

What he says isn't what he does.

Except there's nobody in that region who has a profile to replace him.

One of several key questions.

IMHO, Trudeau Jnr is popular among immigrants because of the name and because they believe that, as the son of a rich guy, he's not "on the take". Harper and immigrants? The economy may seem to go well, and Harper may seem to be a typical, white-bread WASP Canadian - but is he now "on the take" too?

IMV, Harper will lose Quebec and most of the Maritimes. But the question is how he does from the Ottawa River and west. I reckon that to win re-election, Harper needs votes in immigrant suburban Ontario and he needs good vote splits (between the NDP/Trudeau Jnr) elsewhere.

If I were Harper, I'd want riding/poll-specific data.

Edited by August1991

Shrill? Really, August? I don't actually believe Harper will be replaced any time soon. My comment about Jason Kenney was a joke.

I wouldn't be so quick.

McGuinty seemed somewhat invincible after winning an minority government in the fall of 2011.

But he took the bullet for the team and the Ontario liberals are actually looking up now!

WWWTT

One of several key questions.

IMHO, Trudeau Jnr is popular among immigrants because of the name and because they believe that, as the son of a rich guy, he's not "on the take".

Unique theories without substantive backing. Most immigrants today don't even know who Trudeau senior was except from history books. And in third world countries, which are the source of most immigrants, the rich are _always_ on the take.

Harper and immigrants? The economy may seem to go well, and Harper may seem to be a typical, white-bread WASP Canadian - but is he now "on the take" too?

Most unlikely. The questions on Harper's governing centre around the style; the uptight, secretive, often seen as mean spirited tone of his government, not his personal integrity.

IMV, Harper will lose Quebec and most of the Maritimes.

Harper doesn't need Quebec or the maritimes. He did fine without them last election and there will be dozens of new seats next election, most of them in Ontario and the West.

Oh, I can say it, but if it happens is another thing. Also, didn't Harper come out nowhere?? Harper can't win with just support from the West and its really only 3 provinces, it would have been four but he's peeved off people because of the closing of Coast Guard centers.in BC

Topaz, I'm not sure what you are hoping for, or expect to happen.

It truly sounds like you want a Tory party led by someone just like the Liberals or the NDP!

What a tragedy that would be. We would have only a phony choice between three flavours of ice cream that all taste like vanilla.

Democracy is not supposed to be a rigged game where one group always gets its way. We are SUPPOSED to have clear and different choices!

Topaz, I'm not sure what you are hoping for, or expect to happen.

It truly sounds like you want a Tory party led by someone just like the Liberals or the NDP!

What a tragedy that would be. We would have only a phony choice between three flavours of ice cream that all taste like vanilla.

Democracy is not supposed to be a rigged game where one group always gets its way. We are SUPPOSED to have clear and different choices!

That's what we used to have too. The PC and Liberals were the same package. The only true substantive difference was do you prefer blue or red. Mulroney was not a Conservative, he was a Liberal who wore a blue suit.

I think this current hub-bub of riding representation is a reflection of another argument floating in the senate threads; Cdns are just some homogeneous culture that doesn't need regional representation anymore.

IMO that is bunk. Of the few things that McKay represents, maintaining the (1) riding / (1) vote, is something I support.

The belief we are some general culture is another of those Cdn superiority myths put out there to feel superior to our fractious neighbours.

We are a collection of regional views/values that can co-exist for the greater good of the collective, but to say we are blended is a farce. In any given decade you can find the regions resenting, feeling superior to, or just generally disliking another region.

The senate (and party elections) are a needed check to ensure we don't fracture; otherwise you'd have (4) or (5) Quebec's to deal with.

What Harper promised to do but hasn't done . ..

As federal access law turns 30, advocates say it should cover Parliament

Many advocates of transparent government are now calling for the(Freedom of Information) law to apply to the House of Commons, Senate and cabinet with appropriate exceptions to protect matters of parliamentary privilege.

Once a world leader in freedom of information, Canada's law has fallen into a tie for 55th place ahead of Angola but behind the Slovak Republic on a list of global rankings compiled by the Halifax-based Centre for Law and Democracy.

Edited by jacee

Unique theories without substantive backing. Most immigrants today don't even know who Trudeau senior was except from history books. And in third world countries, which are the source of most immigrants, the rich are _always_ on the take.

I disagree. The Trudeau name is well-known around the world. Why? Because he had a minority name elected by a majority. Immigrants are quick to notice this. (Scotty, if you lived in China, you'd be quick to note how a Chinese politician spoke about a Thai minority.)

Harper doesn't need Quebec or the maritimes. He did fine without them last election and there will be dozens of new seats next election, most of them in Ontario and the West.

I agree. In 2015, Harper will lose most of the 32 seats in the Maritimes/Nfld and the 76 seats in Quebec. If he's lucky, he'll cross the Ottawa River with 10 seats. I reckon that the CPC will have no more than 5. In 2015, with about 110 seats in the federal parliament decided, Harper's party will have at best about 5 or 10 seats.

And what is more important, on the day after, Harper will not have the support of key regions in a federal Canada.

If I were Stephen Harper, that would disturb me in a way that has nothing to do with raw electoral calculations.

Edited by August1991

I think this current hub-bub of riding representation is a reflection of another argument floating in the senate threads; Cdns are just some homogeneous culture that doesn't need regional representation anymore.

IMO that is bunk. Of the few things that McKay represents, maintaining the (1) riding / (1) vote, is something I support.

The belief we are some general culture is another of those Cdn superiority myths put out there to feel superior to our fractious neighbours.

We are a collection of regional views/values that can co-exist for the greater good of the collective, but to say we are blended is a farce. In any given decade you can find the regions resenting, feeling superior to, or just generally disliking another region.

The senate (and party elections) are a needed check to ensure we don't fracture; otherwise you'd have (4) or (5) Quebec's to deal with.

Amen.

That's what we used to have too. The PC and Liberals were the same package. The only true substantive difference was do you prefer blue or red. Mulroney was not a Conservative, he was a Liberal who wore a blue suit.

What?

You must explain this comment.

---

Conservatives renewing is an oxymoron to Canadians Forgetting. It is surprising what over-medication and dementia can do to a baby boomer past prime voting landscape.

Edited by AlienB